Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying to the U.S.

Options
  • 12-03-2003 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

I'm supposed to be going to the States at the end of March. If there was a war on, would it put you off flying? Also would the airlines stop flying altogether or would they just offer really cheap fares. Confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

If there was a war on, would it put you off flying?
    No, but that's just me. I'm pretty sure that security would be stepped up a notch or two to countermand any increased threat of terrorist activity.
    Also would the airlines stop flying altogether or would they just offer really cheap fares. Confused.
    Stop flying? That would mean economic disaster for America. Airlines have lost enough money post September 2001. Grounding aircraft would be a very public and costly admittance that airlines are worried about a terrorist attack, and are not confident that they have the resources or ability to stop one should it occur. I find it extremely unlikely that this would occur, unless there has already been a terrorist attempt on an aircraft.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be vigilent, just that it's pointless worrying about something outside of your control. Tbh, I'd be more worried about turbulence and deep vein thrombosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Im flying out to Boston on Friday for 12 days. I dont care whether a war starts or not as its not going to put me off this trip. My parents were a bit sceptical about travelling if there was a war, but I think they've put that aside now. Unless there was an imminent threat on US soil, i dont it would stop me.

I read somewhere yesterday, cant remember now, but Aer Lingus said they have contingency plans in case war breaks out, not sure what they mean by it, probably will offer cheap flights to the US to keep people flying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I've never been to the states I was hoping to go in the summer, no way I'd get on a plane to the states now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

I would be gone in the morning if I could. War or no war....

The war shouldn't affect flights. It would be different if Iraq had more than 50 working aircraft, or if any of em were long range. But none of em are. So don't worry your head abt it. There will just be more security than usual at the airports, and probably a marshall on most flights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by daveirl
    ...I don't think there is much that can threaten the continental US

Says he, on September 10, 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

I think that many people will be worried about flights this incoming war period. I think it may be likely that we will se a resurgence in terrorist activity as the casualties begin to bite but I also think that since the air idea has been tried, this will take a different focus. Have a nice time mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bug
    I've never been to the states I was hoping to go in the summer, no way I'd get on a plane to the states now.
    But you will get into a more dangerous car in the morning. Put things in perspective.

While 2001 had the highest number of aircraft related deaths (about 5,000), 2002 was the safest year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

if you see a guy / guys with a copy of the Koran in his hand in the gate area......do a runner.

Victor, tell me to put it in perspective when you can guarantee that planes wont fall out of the sky due to terrorist attacks.
    Besides I don't drive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bug
    Victor, tell me to put it in perspective when you can guarantee that planes wont fall out of the sky due to terrorist attacks.
    In 2001, worldwide, between 4,000 - 5,000 died in aircraft related incidents (more than 3,000 on Sept 11). In 2002, apparently no passengers died in aircraft accidents, while perhaps 500,000 died in road accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Is it comfy inside your hermetically sealed oxygen tent, or does it get too warm in summer?

Sorry Shinji, but I have a huge fear of flying. Am I entitled to express my opinion on this thread? As far as I remember part of the original question was
    If there was a war on, would it put you off flying?

My opinion was yes, it would.

So before you decide to insult me read the original post we were asked to remark on.- and don't annoy me!!!

In 2001, worldwide, between 4,000 - 5,000 died in aircraft related incidents (more than 3,000 on Sept 11). In 2002, apparently no passengers died in aircraft accidents, while perhaps 500,000 died in road accidents.

I understand this, however it seems to me that I have more of a chance surviving the impact of a car crash than I do surviving falling out of the sky.

Advertisement