Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BW Throttling With ICS and DSL

Options
  • 12-03-2003 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I want to control the amount of (internet access) bandwidth goin to both of the machines on a P2P 2K network?

I dont want one to hog the whole lot for a download, so is there a prog where I can manually, or even better dynamically control the banwidth for the machines?

also, im using the DSL "modem" through a NIC, is there any way I can have the equivilant of "dial on demand" rather than having to sit and connect at that PC.

(no i dont want a router :-p )

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Most top end server solutions like Novell msft exchange have this feature.

You may find a free 3rd party version on www.download.com but thsi feature is a major selling point on these rather expensive programs (novell etc:)
    There is preset way to do in windows Xp that i know of dunno about w2k never had a server running with one.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

For the bandwidth control, as KdjaC said, you'll probably have to spend some cash.
    For the dial on demand, you could try installing RASPPPOE, enable ICS on the connection it creates and then switch on dial on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

does'nt RASPPOE need a dial up service to begin with?

I was thinking exchange, a bit over kill for what im using it ofor though!

I think QOS is the service kdjac is speaking of.

ill have a look on download.com though

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    does'nt RASPPOE need a dial up service to begin with?
    What do you mean by that?

i tried PPOE a few days ago. It said that it needed a dialup connection (through DSL).

Some ISP's set the connection as a dialup adaptor. (yes, sounds weird i know). Ill try it again though.

• Advertisement

RASPPPOE creates a dialup connection, I don't know what you mean by
    Some ISP's set the connection as a dialup adaptor
    The only thing an ISP will set is the type of connection used, i.e in Eircom's case it's a PPPoE connection as opposed to PPPoA.
    Whatever way the client software/modem drivers install themselves is not set by an ISP but by the people who write them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

There's QoS in the linux kernel - do a search on traffic shaping. If u want 2k, You can apply QoS on the 2K machines but you will need a domain controller (me thinks) to enforce the bandwidth rules between the two.

.02c

Dizz

i got raspppoe working, so thanks there. The throttling sounds like it could be hell, so ill wait til I get home to fool with it!

thanks for the help!

Advertisement