Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber war between the US France & Germany hots up.

Options
  • 12-03-2003 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Now the article below has gotten me thinking here. If the anti-war movement got their act together they could create quite a virtual protest by emailing US government addresses simultaneously worldwide (ie a bigger version of the virtual demostration headed by Martin Sheen in the US).

If they even got 10% of the numbers of protesters that marched last month to email a standard letter at the same time then you could really create a impression.

What do you think, a valid form of protest or cyber vandelism ?

Gandalf.
    JOKE WEBSITE DOWNED

A controversial American website that pokes fun at the French and Germans has been brought down by hackers.

Francestinks.com and Germanystinks.com has been deluged with emails from German cyber saboteurs, the site says.

Shortly before Friday's cyber attack, the website's creator received a warning that he would be shown "what happens when you post a nationalist site like this on the Internet", Fox News reported.

Comedians

"Apparently (the hacker) was very sophisticated," creator 'Yankee Doodle' said.

"People at the server outfit said they had never seen one that sophisticated before."

The website has become cult viewing across America after France and Germany came together to form an entente cordiale against war on Iraq.

It features anti-European jokes by America's stand-up comedians and chatshow hosts along with songs cartoons and product boycotts.

But anyone trying to log on to the site receives the message: "Our main sites are down due to anti-US hackers in Germany. We will not give up. God Bless America."

Emails

The site was attacked on Friday and again on Monday and remains offline.

It has received around 500,000 visitors in the its first few weeks and some 500 emails a day - many of them critical.

Despite the controversy, Mr Doodle said Americans had the right to read such material on the Web.

"The sites were set up as a place for Americans to get together and discuss their feelings," he said.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-12267094,00.html

Comments

Well i'm a believer in the freedom of speech on the internet. So yes, i think the US residents have the right to have such a site. However, i know well, that the US residents would complain just as much if there were anti-american websites up, and in some cases would legally move to take em down.

I dunno. Its a tricky one.

Personally i say game on to the German hackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This really isn't a big a deal and it's not 'x' vs US. It's some hackers who are peed off about things.

This sort of thing goes on all the time. There is actually a full time hacking community in Israel that seek and take out any sites that criticize their country (I forget the link to their site). Likewise with some Chinese hacking communities.

I'd say it's doubtful government funded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

It is good to see our german cousins doing something useful in the anti war campaign lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

435620.67723.jpg
    They just don't have a clue do they? Maybe they don't understand the concept of "joint statement" by France and Russia.
    WELCOME To The www.BIGBOOTS.US General Store

UPDATE! OUR MAIN SITES WILL BE BACK UP VERY (and we mean VERY!) SOON!!! IF YOU CAME HERE DIRECTLY FROM A FRANCESTINKS.COM, GERMANYSTINKS.COM OR BIGBOOTS.US LINK, ITS BECAUSE OUR MAIN SITES ARE TEMPORARILY OFFLINE DUE TO TECHNICAL PROBLEMS INVOLVED IN MOVING TO BIGGER, STRONGER SERVERS THAT CAN HANDLE THE HUGE TRAFFIC WE HAVE BEEN GETTING. WE WILL BE BACK UP SHORTLY, BUT IN THE MEANWHILE, IF SOMETHING IN OUR SHOPS INSPIRES YOUR SUPPORT, YOU ARE APPRECIATED INDEED! THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE, AND CHECK BACK SOON! WE WILL NOT GIVE UP! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    Hmmm, sound more commercial than community. "Paying full price is patriotic" (from Doonesbury) comes to mind.

During the Kosovo War, Yugoslav hackers attacked a US military e-mail server with something like 70,000 e-mails a day. After initial problems, they simply sent everything from that IP address into a null folder. However after several says the server couldn't handle it, so the upgraded to a 486 machine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ZeFrog

"What do you think, a valid form of protest or cyber vandelism ?"

Valid form of protest! I bet they were bragging that they are the best : this is a strike to their pride to have their site put down by a 'stupid' eurotrash (as they call us) :D

This site is not interested in discussion anyway.

I am more in 'favor' of web sites such as www.****france.com , which allow proper discussions from both sides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement