Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD-R or DVD+R which one?

• 12-03-2003 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

lo all, 2 questions,

1) Which format do people think will win DVD-R or DVD+R and why?

2) What is the best DVD recorder for that format (pref. region free)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I asked the same question here about a month ago. I'd recommend DVD+R. I dont have links to back up my statement at the minute but one good reason is that dell is backing them and the big companies like sony are backing it. But at the same time blue lazer is out soon but is expen$ive.

Dont know about the second question your asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id go with +r also just from what ive read it seems to be the winner in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

not sure where you're getting your info - but big companies are back both standards - dvd-r though is selling better and the media costs alot less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

DVD-R ... the cheap media can't be beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I,d really love to know where peeps here are getting there information...
    First of all dont be thinking dell do the +dvdrws in all there high spec models so they must be good.. BOLLOX>>
    with representatives from Dell Computer ALLLLL ABOUT THE BENJAMINES>>> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There Being PAID by these companies to put there franchise in there machine and can back this up... the media is expensive for these (+dvdrw)and below are the following companies that back both machine

The rival DVD Forum, which includes Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp, advocates the DVD-RAM, DVD-R and DVD-RW formats

The DVD+RW Alliance announced late on Monday that Microsoft had joined its ranks, adding that the software giant will also have a seat on its policy-setting team with representatives from Dell Computer, Hewlett-Packard, Mitsubishi Chemical/Verbatim, Philips, Ricoh, Sony, Thomson and Yamaha. The DVD+RW Alliance is a group of companies that promotes and develops the DVD+RW format.

If u do a quick search on google the +dvdrw are going for a little over £120 sterling which is dirt cheap (for a reason) because no body is buying them
    Although best (imo) the pioneer 105 dvdrw- is going for £200 since a little before christmas and still going strong.. Media is flippin dirt cheap too at 49p eh..

In my humble opinion if u cant make ure mind up get the new sony dru model which does bout dvdr+ and dvdrw- which is pretty expensive compared to other models...

I,d back the dvdr- for two reasons....
    Pioneer have made the ao3 ao4 and ao5 all of which have been brillaint dvdrws
    Second point Media is 49p each..
    U could get A pioneer and 200 blanks for the same price as the sony...

OR u could get the new spankin new dvdrw+ for 50 cents backed by sony and now microsoft ..

Oh i do so love these dvd writing topics

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    I,d really love to know where peeps here are getting there information...
    First of all dont be thinking dell do the +dvdrws in all there high spec models so they must be good.. BOLLOX>>
    with representatives from Dell Computer ALLLLL ABOUT THE BENJAMINES>>> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What I meant was I lot more of the DVD+RW will be sold due to the fact that the biggest PC company will be only selly that type of DVD burning drive, thingy with their PC's, if you choose to get one.

"biggest PC company" what u meant to say was biggest pc manufacturer... my bitches uncle works in the top row of dell gets all the info i do...

But back to the point dell are being paid serious amounts of money to back these drives.. they couldnt give a toss what they put in em its all about the $$$$$$$$$... just look at there motherboards... ROFL u cant upgrade em so u have to fork out for a new pc.. bitches.. Uncle will even tell u that
    its like vhs and betamex revolution that went on yrs ago for those that can remember..
    Beta was actually better did ye know lol
    But who won...
    Give steve my good friend here and ask which dvdrws are selling the most... www.121cdr.co.uk

The pioneer models ao3 ao4 and ao5 dvdr-
    or the dvdrw+ models..

he,ll tell u what u need to know and which media is the cheapest too

Appy My 2 cents

Biggest PC Manufacturer is what I did mean, sorry about that one.
    But back to the point dell are being paid serious amounts of money to back these drives.. they couldnt give a toss what they put in em its all about the $$$$$$$$$...

They probably dont give a toss, but the fact remains. Alot of PC buyers buy from Dell, if they are going to get a DVD burner they'll get one bundled with the PC and not go off and buy one seperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

59p for a DVD-R, Do you have the name of the place I can get them this cheap from?
    I had a look on Komplett and the cheapest was 2/3 Euros.

Ohh yes we all seem to be implying ide or internal ...

Would u be lookin for internal or a standalone... >??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Can ppl plz get over the idea "that what ever dell sells is the best", if thats the case we would all buy the mobo that sell cos dell is selling it. we would all buy the the monitor that dell sells etc....

just cos dell is sellin it doent mean its the best or every one has
    to buy it or its the product to buy. If that was the case we would all be still living in the INTEL. The disk for dvd+ are €12(so i hear). now thats almost half the price of the real thing.....

cherrio, what u should do is research it over the net cos ppl will
    give u all sorts of answers. but plz dont fall for "dell sells it so it
    got to be the main one ....."

Originally posted by clansman
    Can ppl plz get over the idea "that what ever dell sells is the best", if thats the case we would all buy the mobo that sell cos dell is selling it. we would all buy the the monitor that dell sells etc....

I never said what dell sells is best. What I said is that people in the majority buy from Dell and if dell are selling it, sales are likely to increase since they are the "biggest pc manufacturer" in the world.

Either way I would not to buy any of the current standards(i.e. DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RAM). Blue Laser is coming soon and I'd wait from the prices in this format to come down.

Most of the PC manufacturing companies sell PC's with microsoft products and intel microprocessors, why? Because they are paid extra to sell their PC's only with these items not because theyare the best for the consumer but because they make more money. Makes good business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

but one good reason is that dell is backing them

so if dell backs DVD+ we all have to buy them?
    just cos dell backs DVD+ doesnt mean that DVD+ is the best/
    everyone should buy DVD+
    (€12 a cd for a DVD+ compared to DVD- 80c a cd. )

Look at it this way, if dell backed DVD- would u say to everyone to
    buy DVD- "I'd recommend DVD+R" "one good reason is that dell is
    backing them" so what ever dell BACKS you would buy it?????

Dell backs Intel so well all have to buy intel proccessors?

Originally posted by clansman
    so if dell backs DVD+ we all have to buy them?
    just cos dell backs DVD+ doesnt mean that DVD+ is the best/
    everyone should buy DVD+
    (€12 a cd for a DVD+ compared to DVD- 80c a cd. )

Look at it this way, if dell backed DVD- would u say to everyone to
    buy DVD- "I'd recommend DVD+R" "one good reason is that dell is
    backing them" so what ever dell BACKS you would buy it?????

Dell backs Intel so well all have to buy intel proccessors?

Where can DVD- be got for 80c a cd?, and whats the quality like
    Maybe they also do cut price DVD+ media.
    Also the DVD+ don't cost €12 per cd!!!
    I see one DVD+ on komplett for €3.43
    The cheapest DVD- I see is €2.71 on komplett.
    Not as big of a difference as you suggest.
    Comparing the lowest price you could find for DVD- with the highest you could find for DVD+ doesn't say much.

What I said was, if you read it, was that sales of DVD+RW are going to increase if a large PC manufacturer is backing it and and that they aren't backing DVD-RW.

I never said we all have to buy what dell is offering. I recommended waiting for the blue laser format, but I also said if I was going to buy a red laser format I'd go for DVD+RW and the the only reason at the time of posting,i could think of,was that dell was backing it.

Here are much better reasons:

+ is much better at dealing with errors (eg scratches).
    + is supported by philips/sony (they created cd)
    + is a newer format yet is growing at a MUCH faster rate than -
    + is rewritable c.1000 times vs. 100 times for -RW

Look here for a good head to head between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

For the price of a DVD+RW you could buy 5 DVD-RWs and I don't know anyone who has used a DVD-RW more than 100 times so who says it doesn't work over 100?

Better with dealing with errors? Who what how?

Supported by philips, sony. DVD-RW has their own backing ... DVD Forum (methinks)

+RW is growing at a faster rate ... probably because they are playing catch up to the huge sales in DVD-RW drives.

Most of the reasons to buy a +RW drive are paper reasons. There is no real tangible evidence to support buying a +RW drive over a -RW. So potential buyers do yourself a favour a buy a -RW drive, cheaper to buy, cheaper media and the right team on your side, you're laughing. :)

Most of the reasons to buy a +RW drive are paper reasons. There is no real tangible evidence to support buying a +RW drive over a -RW. So potential buyers do yourself a favour a buy a -RW drive, cheaper to buy, cheaper media and the right team on your side, you're laughing.

There is a burner that does both, solves the problem of what to buy but the question is which format to use....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=61

youll find everything you need there.. and it looks like DVD+R is gonna win but you can 80c dvd-r media at cdmedia ireland

Bulpaq ones 50 for €55 i think

cart

"+ is much better at dealing with errors (eg scratches).

Look here for a good head to head between the two."

The Above is a load of cobblers... here are my reasons
    errors my balls.. if u scratch a disc so what buy a new one there only 49p so why not have 2 backups.. so if one DOES scratch u,ll surely have the other precious backup to BACKUP>>
    Therefor £1 to backup ure precious data comparison to 2.60 whatever euros in komplett for a dvdrw+ disc...

+ is supported by sony/phillips... So what.. lol sony no **** all about dvd writing and the likes.. they didnt make a friggin dvd did they.. (only a cd) Pioneer on the other hand which supports dvdr- have noumourous drives and media out with 5+ yrs experience ...

+ is a newest format but its a load of cobblers because tis selling faster because of dell etc and other companies because there putting them in at ****e dirt cheap prices.. Seen an article recently sellin em for £120 sterling ... lol u pay a price for ****e guess what u get !! ****e !! lol

Is rewritable more that 1000 times compared to 100...
    Did anyone ever do a test with these because i did.. done a test with dvdr- with over 50 burns.. and basically the dvd is knackered because of scratches not because of burns... thats 1000+ hrs of burning for a dvdr+... wouldnt it not be cheaper to buy a dvdrw- for 60p than the latter dvdrw+ for 5 times the price.. ????

Does that make sense to anyone else but me...
    There clutching at straws when they explained the above 4 points.. really come on now

Also cartman really i,d give u my 2 writers and 2 pcs and what every else material items i have if dvdrw+ wins the battle between the two formats...

Quote Unfriggin Quote !!
    APpy :)

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    "+ is much better at dealing with errors (eg scratches).

Look here for a good head to head between the two."

The Above is a load of cobblers... here are my reasons
    errors my balls.. if u scratch a disc so what buy a new one there only 49p so why not have 2 backups.. so if one DOES scratch u,ll surely have the other precious backup to BACKUP>>
    Therefor £1 to backup ure precious data comparison to 2.60 whatever euros in komplett for a dvdrw+ disc...

Quote Unfriggin Quote !!
    APpy :)

Finally I've managed to track down the 49p (Sterling) DVD-R's.
    They are only 1x compatable! thats why they are so cheap.
    http://www.cdrseller.co.uk/product.asp?product=172
    You really gonna wait 2hrs for a backup?
    (1hr for each DVD)
    You need to compare like for like, compare DVD+R (2x/4x) with DVD+R (2x/4x)

DVD-R (2x) - £1.79 Sterling, €2.64
    DVD+R (2.4x) - £1.70 Sterling, €2.51
    Prices now look much more similar. Certainly not 10 times the price. I didn't spot any DVD+R 1x disks.

• Advertisement

Twat.. where did u get 2hrs for a dvd..
    1x speed writes at 1hr per dvd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

- is the way to go, believe me.I have never seen a + dvd as nobody does them.The MINUS standard is compatible with 95% of standalone dvd players.The PLUS standard is compatible with something like 60% of dvd players, pretty lame eh !

Pioneer make real nice - burners.Stick with what is going to be around in 2 years time.

-

1hr per DVD, can't you read.
    You said you'd just do 2 copies if you wanted to be sure there wasn't gonna be a problem.
    1hr X 2 = 2hrs.

Sorry Apoligies.... here :(

Still makes sense to just do one backup and keep it in a jewel case and save money... why cant people understand that.. And who.s gonna do a 100 burns with a dvdrw anyway... the cheapskates thats who...
    After 10 burns the disc is gonna get knackered with scraches and paw prints anyway... disc is only worth a euro so why bother ...
    just burn it on a fresh new disc and chuck the old one !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

Appy tbh i dont have a clue about DVDR's
    havnt got one will be gettin one in the near future but goin for + and -
    i just tought i show u that site thats all
    and cdmedia ireland had 50 dvd-r's for €55 last week

i dont know but i do think no1 knows until its over:)

cart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,639 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

its like vhs and betamex revolution that went on yrs ago for those that can remember..

Yeah and remember Video 2000 (VCC) was the best of all. A case of history repeating me m8s. Next revolution was the CD and Philips again invented it and they had to team up with Sony for their better marketing skills and to not let the copycats win again. Please buy from the companies that invent and not the ones that just copy, market, and paste like matsu****a's pioneer and others.

"Please buy from the companies that invent and not the ones that just copy, market, and paste like matsu****a's pioneer and others"

Dont exactly get what ure trying to say here m8... with the matsumXXXXa,s ????

For example phillips and sony made the cd and cdr.. name a decent cdr that sony or phillips have ever made or perhaps a burner... that could match anything on the market at that time !
    Others that followed got it right first time such as plextor matsumi and later on the lite-on series.. ???
    Explain that one !

Just to add a small point that pionneer have been in the business for 5+ yrs .. they aint exactly shady nor a cut and paste operation there running m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,639 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dont exactly get what ure trying to say here m8... with the matsumXXXXa,s ????

Sorry m8, the boards software is doing this. The company I'm referring to is m-a-t-s-u-s-h-i-t-a (pioneer, jvc, et al)

Sure it's a good thing that companies like this do exist to keep the pressure up for real technology firms. These copycat firms help to get better value for money for us all and to prevent complacency within the tech firms. What usually happens is that consumers (typically non-boarders) will buy their copied products thinking it's great. The inventors then have to lower their prices and we all benefit. My first DVD+RW was €660 + VAT late 2001 - it is less than half that now!

• Advertisement

My first DVD+RW was €660 + VAT late 2001 - it is less than half that now!

Now uve been around a while.. i really paid the same for my ao3 dvdr- and tis still going strong
    Which do u think will win even do i think ure a little biased ;) lol

Advertisement