Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPRS Setup

• 12-03-2003 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for info on setting up a server which can be connected to via GPRS. What equipment is needed? Is it as simple as plugging a mobile phone to the serial port of the server and using a second mobile to connect (after configuring, of course)?

Or do the likes of Vodafone and O2 have more sophisticated equipment to provide the GPRS connection?

Any technical web links would also be appreciated - books on this topic are upwards of 60 Euro.

Thanks,

TD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Actually, at this stage there have been so many GPRS/WAP/Email setup questions that if someone is kind enough to list them here, I'll compile them all into a sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Agreed - but I would suggest my question is not your average "how do I set up my phone" more "how do I become my own service provider".

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In my experience of mobile operators in general is that they won't let you.

They'll block access to your service by their users without warning and come up with some story about customer security, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

tom dunne,

As far as I know once a device is connected by GPRS to an APN it is connect to the "internet" just like connected by modem, cable, or any other method.

So if your server is accessable by internet, (it got an public IP) then it can be accessed by GPRS.

This is just connection, the question regarding content on your server can be used by device is different issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

are you asking how can you compete against voda and o2 for gprs access, or how to connect your server so that its an apn reachable directly from your handset, or both?

• Advertisement
Advertisement