Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Musicmaker Pt. 2

• 12-03-2003 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

So its been a year nearly since the last thread, and I have to say that things have really improved.
    I was going to post this yesterday, but decided not to until I seen Nem's comments in the My god!!! post, and realised that my recent experiences weren't just a once off.

I went into Musicmaker to check out some guitars, and almost immediatly, a member of staff ran over, AND GAVE ME A LEAD!
    He was all gracious and courteous, and said I could plug into what amp I wanted. I was impressed, as usually when a staff member was to run over, it was to tell you to get out, so I was suprised.

I also noticed that when I went up to the recording equipment to look at some digital 8-tracks, that there were loads of people in the "expensive" acoustic room. That was a first as usually they don't like more that one in the room.

I wonder if the last thread had anything to do with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Yeah MM is quite good,
    When i bought my guitar there they had no beefs with givin me a Lead and I was playin it for ages and gave other people a go and nothing was said, I could have just walked out then but i did buy it.

They helped more, when it wouldn't fin into case they were offering to cut out foam in an existing but i was still gona be a tight squeeze so they gave me loads of free stuff including a well padded sack :).

Still i think my next buys will be off the net for cheapness, but i'm gona but all my strings and small crap in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Interesting to see those comments on that old thread. I have to say I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's had a bad time in MusicMaker. Having said that I think it's entirely contingent on the guy you get in a shop and the day that's in it.

The first thing I ever bought in MusicMaker was a bass pack (I subsequently gave up) and the guy was really helpful considering it was me and two mates who didn't look like we could scrounge enough money for a Burger between us. He took us seriously and gave us time and attention, letting us play around with the bass for a good while too. He had long hair.

Next time I was in there was just to buy strings and the guy (short hair) was a complete waste of time. I asked for a few different sets electric/acoustic and different gauges without specifying a brand and he just looked at me dumbfounded. You'd swear I'd called his mother something the way he looked at me.

Well anyway I went back recently because I had to get a new amp. I went all around town but MM had the best range. First Saturday I was in there, the staff were playing football tennis over the counter. I came back the week after and have to say the guy (long hair) was quite helpful. Not over helpful now, I mean he didn't "sell" me the amp, but he didn't have an attitude.

My general opinion is it's still a pretty intimidating place to go because you never know what way the staff will react to you. They just don't seem to want to help people who may not have an encyclopeadic knowledge of guitars.

I had quite a good experience in Waltons recently just buying strings. My A and D string kept snapping so I was looking specifically for them and the guy (long hair) not only fished some out for me but told me to have a look at the bridge and try to avoid putting kinks in the string when winding it. Beginners stuff sure but I didn't have to bleed the help out of him. Anyway I broke my D string last night having just re strung this week. I'm going to stop buying Ernie Ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Earthhorse
    I had quite a good experience in Waltons recently just buying strings. My A and D string kept snapping so I was looking specifically for them and the guy (long hair) not only fished some out for me but told me to have a look at the bridge and try to avoid putting kinks in the string when winding it. Beginners stuff sure but I didn't have to bleed the help out of him. Anyway I broke my D string last night having just re strung this week. I'm going to stop buying Ernie Ball.

Intresting that, because quite a number of people have been complaining about Ernie Ball strings snapping, and most of them bought the strings from musicmaker. I wonder if there is a connection. D'addario XL strings seem to last a good bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I have a set of Ernie Ball strings on my Squire and they still haven't broken even though they're on it for ages. Although they are monsterously thick and tuned fairly low so that's probably why. I'd normally go for Rotosound pinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well I buy my Ernie Ball from Perfect Pitch so it's probably just a coincindence.

A friend has already recommended D'addario but thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

last time i was in musicmaker i was playin an acoustic wen a member of staff came over and snatched it out of my hand telling me it was worth 3 grand or somefin, i always feel real intimidated in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I still maintain that I've never had any trouble from musicmaker. I generally pop in there anyway if I'm in Dublin to have a fool around, and I'm never bothered. No matter what the price of the guitar at hand. Maybe its down to the fact that they know me, and know that I'm trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

If the see you with money burning a hole in your pocket they'll be all over you. If on the other hand you're just hiding from the rain they treat you like somethin they walked in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 music maker

Hello everyone.

I’m glad to see that the general opinion of Music Maker has improved over the last year. As some of you may notice some changes have been made to encourage us to give more respect to Irish musicians who are our valued customers. Of course this is not a perfect world and we no there is always room for improvement.

To that end I’d like to suggest the following.
    Here’s my email address mark@musicmaker.ie
    I’d very much appreciate if you would include me in notification of threads relating to Music Maker.

Even better if you have any problems in any way with our service to you, contact me directly and I do my best to sort it out and to make you next visit to Music Maker as pleasing and satisfying as possible for you.

Thanks again for you constructive criticism, it’s welcomed.

Mark Walsh
    Sales & Marketing Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by music maker
    Of course this is not a perfect world and we no there is always room for improvement.

Yes! Damn well improve! Give me free stuff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement