Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bin laden detained?

Options
  • 12-03-2003 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

It's amazing the amount of misinformation floating about with regards to the whereabouts of bin Laden. Headlines like "the net is closing" have been circulating for days. Now the most recent article throws even more confusion on the story:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12267365,00.html

"Reports that Osama bin Laden has been arrested in Pakistan have been denied by officials.
    The dollar rose against the euro in London and equity markets in New York were affected after news of the supposed arrest were reported by an Iranian radio station.
    Little-known Pakistani politician Agha Murtaza Pooya admitted he had said the al Qaeda leader was being "held in custody" but denied saying bin Laden had been arrested."

A report from Reuters suggests that they will announce his capture to coincide with an invasion of Iraq....

The best rumour I've heard is that he's actually under the CIA witness protection program...

davej

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

It is certainly odd but I do not think they have yet captured him.If however they do have him his capture will be announced the day that the military cocks up and kills hundreds of its own men due to bad planning or kills civillians through negligance in Iraq.

I would think that Bin Laden will look alot different when captured to the man we are used to seeing.The reason all messages recently have been audio is probably because he has really changed his appearence.Shaikh Mohammed looked like some sort of obese sweaty middle aged skanger that you see hanging around in a hot summer here when he was captured-the pic was actually deliberately released in order to demoaralise the Al Quaeda soldiers into believing that the leaders were pathetic and that the strain was getting to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

yeah cause when the Germans found out Hitler looked like a third rate Charlie Chaplin impersonator they surrendered en masse!!!

Somehow i think the fact Shaikh Mohammed looks like a seedy newsagent is immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

There were reports last week that two of Bin Laden's sons were wounded and captured in a clash on the Afghan border with US soldiers. This was later dissmissed by Pakistani and US officials as untrue. See the following link for article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2828431.stm

Bin Laden's son's are eight years and 16 I think respectively, as I learned from Channel Four news which carried the story on the same day, if this is the case and indeed if it is true then does this mean US soldiers injured an eight year old boy?

Perhaps they are "gathering" information from them, as to the whereabouts of their father.
    If however they do have him his capture will be announced the day that the military cocks up and kills hundreds of its own men due to bad planning or kills civillians through negligance in Iraq.

I do agree with this comment by the gopher that if the reports are true and if they have captured him, the information will possibly be released to the media when they mess up in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by davej
    A report from Reuters suggests that they will announce his capture to coincide with an invasion of Iraq.... The best rumour I've heard is that he's actually under the CIA witness protection program...
    Much better would be "finding" him in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I was reading an article that looked at one of Bush's very recent speeches.

He mentioned "Saddam Hussein" 40 times, "September 11th" 9 times (often in the same breath as "Saddam") and bin Laden 0 times.

davej

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sky had an item today on NY policemen and firemen in the National Guard deployed to Kuwait who are out for "payback".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_16-3-2003_pg1_4

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,6119,2-10-1462_1333836,00.html

They dont have him but Bin Laden wont have many cohorts left at the present rate of detection...

Mike.

Advertisement