Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Congress opts for "freedom fries"

Options
  • 12-03-2003 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

French fries in the House of Representatives' cafeterias will now be known as "freedom fries" as part of a Republican protest at France's opposition to a war on Iraq.

Full Story
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2842493.stm

This has to be the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. Just goes to show what kind of nut jobs are running the most powerful country in the world. It would be funny to see a complete cultural and commercial boycott of US goods in Europe to show disapproval of the bullying tactics of the US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hmm, except that Belguims invented 'French fries'. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the French renowned for it's cuisine is just over the moon that they are being renamed and not linked to them. :) Prehaps they can wash it down with an 'American Champange'? :)

As for boycotting. All it does is hurt America in the short term. Sure you can boycott the goods, but what about the shops that have already bought the goods in the US? I'm sure they are going to love being stuck with all that stuff. It would be surprising to see if people even knew what half the companies were French owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i was so amazed by this story when i saw it earlier i found the guy's site and emailed him to say how much i admired him making a stand on such an issue when the world clearly had nothing better to worry about right now. I also said that I believed any politician in the uk who tried such a stunt right now would be so vilified by the press that it would be career suicide.
    what an @rse.

http://www.house.gov/jones/html/contact.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

What a load of mother****ing arse-wiping ****e!!! (Excuse my freedom)

Isn't it ironic that this is a very French thing to do? viz a viz the Academie Francaise trying to stamp out Franglais terms like le parking and le weekend? But then Americans just don't get irony, do they?

Still, I once met an American girl who was a great freedom kisser.

And will the Catholic Church still be issuing 'freedom letters' to those of their flock seeking to get married?
    The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Keep this sort of post coming please!! This sort of thing lowers my blood pressure lol. It is incredibly pathetic but really, is it a surprise? Not to me. The US is perfectly prepared to launch a propaganda war against a nation that it has been formally allied with since 1945 - anyone see this as odd? No more odd than allying in the same year to the nation that killed 400,000 american troops.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I just find it funny that they are basically making a positive association between "French" and "Freedom", not a negative one.

Renaming French Fries to something like "Monkey Fries" would have been insulting, but "Freedom Fries"???

I also read in a Swiss paper today that a large number of citizens of places like New Orleans are highly incensed at the ridiculing being handed to all things French in culture.

At the end of the day, though, the government of the most powerful nation on earth resorting to little more than school-boy name-calling tactics is hardly making a good comment on their own maturity, nor their respect for a concept known as "Freedom of Choice" or even "Democracy" - you know - those ideals they want the rest of the world to adopt because theyre so right.

What next? A public statement from some senior bod saying "its my ball, and I'm taking it with me" as he storms out of some international summit?

This is the new face of international diplomacy? It would be pure comedy, if the implications werent so damned scary.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well at least, Al Qaeda won't be attacking the Statue of Liberty in New York as apparently a very large crate has been delivered to return it to France. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

What is even more ridiculous about this Ohio congressman's demand is that in culinary terminology, to "french" only means to cut into pieces lengthwise. It is completely different from say "Brazil Nuts", or "Mexican Rice". Way to act like a petulant child there...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The correct term for chips is 'frenched fries' - 'frenching' being a culinary term that refers to the way the potatoes are cut. This cutting style originated in Belgium but the term was brought into popular parlence by America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

To keep the level of pettiness up, the French should start going on about how they helped win the battle of Yorktown in 1781 and remind the americans how crucial it was to their freedom and liberation and all that bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Here's the letter I sent him:
    Dear Congressman Jones,

I admire your dedicating much time and effort to deal with the issue of "french" fries in a recent congressional session. This is truly a troubling and deeply worrying issue that deserved the utmost attention above such trivial matters as war or american economic downturn.

I must also mention that "french" fries were not actually invented by the French, but by the Belgians.

Yours Sincerely

• Advertisement

:):) You da man lemming lmao!!! Piss arsed yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

My mother got an email from an American cousin in which she stated she was dropping her full name,because it is of French origin,to a more Americanised version LOL:D We have always known she was a big Bush supporter but this is madness.
    And that the US government is letting its own restaurents(sorry,food courts,seeing as the R word is French)resort to this nonsense is laughable.
    When the whole freedom fries thing was first heard of about a week ago we got the impression it was probably dreamed up and perpetuated only by southerners who think that if you step outisde of Alabama you will fall off the edge of the world.But to think that government owned interests are doing this makes them the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

Anyway,they could solve the whole thing by calling them chips and adressing crisps by their proper title like the rest of the English speaking world:D

And is it not ironic that the US is trying to supress French freedom of speech and opinion in the UN but is calling the food freedom fries?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Piss arsed yanks.
    Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    I for example said I was pro - America but anti-Bush.

Could you make up your mind please?

jc

Certainly. I have Battle Boar to thank for this as well - he was a bit of an eye opener.

Piss arsed yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Sorry to drag this one up again but it really illustrates the mentality of certain individuals that are part of the most dangerous administration in the world.

With "freedom fries" I must assume that the "freedom" part is relating to the freedom that the US citizens enjoy. I really can't see them enjoying any freedom if the Patriot Act is ever enforced.

When this came out first I was laughing for a good 30 seconds as I naturally thought it was a rather humorous joke. Pure shock followed. These guys have WMDs!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Well it may be a little petty but I think they are perfectly justified removing references to an appeasing nation from their food list.
    I wouldn't buy anything french since then and many others feel the same.

The french did everything they could to keep Saddam in power and continue his slaughter of Iraqi people, their torture and mass rape. All for the sake of their oil money and other dubious debts owed to them by Saddam.

Thankfully the US broght freedom to the Iraqi people despite the French the germans the russians and the 'anti-war' marchers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by chill
    Thankfully the US broght freedom to the Iraqi people despite the French the germans the russians and the 'anti-war' marchers

did they? tell that to the civilians they are killing daily
    right now, American soldiers are killing civilians for protesting against their country being occupied

one year on and that country is in a total mess

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well it may be a little petty but I think they are perfectly justified removing references to an appeasing nation from their food list.
    I wouldn't buy anything french since then and many others feel the same.

The french did everything they could to keep Saddam in power and continue his slaughter of Iraqi people, their torture and mass rape. All for the sake of their oil money and other dubious debts owed to them by Saddam.

Thankfully the US broght freedom to the Iraqi people despite the French the germans the russians and the 'anti-war' marchers.

Oh my god. Please tell me this is a troll. Are there people out there that believe this kind of nonsense? Are you from Allabama by any chance chill?

Iraq is going to be the Vietnam of this century: a completely unnecessary flexing of military muscle by a nation whose leader has an IQ lower than his age. Lots more American soldiers will die, lots more innocents will be added to a ridiculous total already achieved.

"So far, in the 'war on terror' initiated since 9/11, the USA and its allies have been responsible for over 13,000 civilian deaths, not only the 10,000 in Iraq, but also 3,000-plus civilian deaths in Afghanistan, another death toll that continues to rise long after the world's attention has moved on," reports the Iraq Body Count website. "Elsewhere in the world over the same period, paramilitary forces hostile to the USA have killed 408 civilians in 18 attacks worldwide. Adding the official 9/11 death toll (2,976 on 29 October 2003) brings the total to just under 3,500."

quoted from:
    http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_6330.shtml

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    did they? tell that to the civilians they are killing daily
    right now, American soldiers are killing civilians for protesting against their country being occupied

one year on and that country is in a total mess
    Wrong - they are not killing civilian protestors.

They are killing insurgent terrorists who are not representative of the people and are solely dedicated to fundamental islamic dictatorship and the subjugation of the Iraqi people. The US army needs to kill as many of them as possible to ensure that a free and democratic Iraq can thrive.
    The country was in a far bigger mess before the US and British liberated them.
    If we and Europe got our appeasing fingers out and helped the Iraqi people, instead of supporting the continuation of the brutal Saddam regime then things might be even better.

The US army needs to kill as many of them as possible to ensure that a free and democratic Iraq can thrive.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Nick

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sleepy
    Oh my god. Please tell me this is a troll. Are there people out there that believe this kind of nonsense? Are you from Allabama by any chance chill?
    Typical response to someone that actually disagree with you - he's a troll !
    "So far, in the 'war on terror' initiated since 9/11, the USA and its allies have been responsible for over 13,000 civilian deaths, not only the 10,000 in Iraq, but also 3,000-plus civilian deaths in Afghanistan,
    Totally false and untrue. I believe that less than a thousand iraq civilians have died at the hands of the British and US army, and that compares with 10,000 slaughtered, tortured and raped each month when Saddam was in power.

Totally false and untrue. I believe that less than a thousand iraq civilians have died at the hands of the British and US army, and that compares with 10,000 slaughtered, tortured and raped each month when Saddam was in power.

I hope you intend to support this claim.

This thread is about freedom fries, it needs to get back on topic right after Chill has posted proof for the above claims.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I honestly didn't believe people like you existed Chill. Well there goes the last shred of hope for humanity I had.
    If we and Europe got our appeasing fingers out and helped the Iraqi people, instead of supporting the continuation of the brutal Saddam regime then things might be even better.
    Or maybe if America just blew itself up with it's own WMD, we'd all be better off
    Go back to bed America, your government is in control again. Here, heres American gladiators. Watch this: Shut up. Go back to bed America. Heres American
    gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it. Watch these pituitary retards bang their ****in skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go America, you are free to do as we tell you. You are free to do as we tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The US were responsible for Saddam Hussein getting into power in the first place.
    Totally false and untrue. I believe that less than a thousand iraq civilians have died at the hands of the British and US army, and that compares with 10,000 slaughtered, tortured and raped each month when Saddam was in power
    Where were the British and Americans during these years of rape and murder? Oh yes, they were selling him weapons. I forgot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Thankfully the US broght freedom to the Iraqi people

Correction the US is currently occupying most of Iraq, and the Iraqis are currently fighting the US for their freedom.
    They are killing insurgent terrorists who are not representative of the people

Can you back this up?
    The US army needs to kill as many of them as possible to ensure that a free and democratic Iraq can thrive.

That’s genocide you speek of.

The country was in a far bigger mess before the US and British liberated them.

A) they have not been liberated.
    B) thinGs are not better
    C) the UK and others from Europe are in Iraq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

MeatProduct dragged up an old thread to remind us that the US leadership has a very immature, naive and ignorant attitude; which alas may be representitive of the american ppl.
    I didnt relly like that he dragged up an old post, but I didnt think it long before his point was proved;)

Originally posted by Sleepy be if America just blew itself up with it's own WMD, we'd all be better off
    Well at least we know where you stand... and it seems like it's on the same side as Bin Laden.

I do not.

Originally posted by monument
    Correction the US is currently occupying most of Iraq, and the Iraqis are currently fighting the US for their freedom.
    Yes they are.... after removing a brutal and gonocideal dictator, against the wishes of the anti war marchers.
    They are killing insurgent terrorists who are not representative of the people

Can you back this up?
    Can you back up your claim that 'the Iraqis' are fighting against them ?

That’s genocide you speek of.
    No it isn't. It killing the enemy, the enemy of the people, and the enemy of freedom.

A) they have not been liberated.
    Wrong. They have been liberated.
    B) thinGs are not better
    Wrong. Thngs are way better
    C) the UK and others from Europe are in Iraq
    No French, no Germans, No Irish and that goes for loads of Europe.

No it isn't. It killing the enemy, the enemy of the people, and the enemy of freedom.
    Ah good, something to look forward to then. My kids can have a positive future in the safe knowledge that if they are an "enemy" of the US then they will be killed. My views would make me an "enemy". As would the views of many posters here. There is far too much media brain-washing going on.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

As far as I can see your presenting a completly ridiculous (and might I say flawed) view on this whole situation.

Anti-war marchers didnt want Saddam to remain in power. What we want is for America to stop going around creating and destroying dictatorships where they please and leaving a wake of bruised, battered and economically ruined countries behind them.

America trained & funded Osama, they helped set up Saddam and supplied him weapons.

They then proceeded to attack and bomb Afghanistan and Iraq, looking for these so-called terrorist leaders.

I'm not defending Osama, nor Saddam, but for the love of god man, cant you open your eyes and see that Bush is 10 times worse. Only he has better PR.

This is a totally futile conversation, I can see from your previous posts that your mind is made up and nothing is going to change that. I must admit I find it a little sad and disappointing but those are the breaks.

Tbh however, you have presented no facts to your wild accusations and claims.

Any evidence I've seen is that there is an increasing movement in Iraq to have "allied" forces removed. I'm sure I'd feel the same if several hundred people died in my country as a result of a foreign invader.

Its so, so sad. :(

Advertisement