Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish WISP??

Options
  • 12-03-2003 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Right lads! what can anyone tell me about Irish WISP?

Good? :D

Bad? :(

Other? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭martinikarl

Original Gadget,

I can tell you about Irish WISP. I manage it. I'm sure you're looking for some feedback from existing customers, please email me and I'll try to get you in touch with some.

karl@irishwisp.net

Karl Martini
    irish WISP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

no offence karl, but IrishWISP is just like IBB, mostly available in south dublin, expensive to install and strictly depending on LOS which is really a bad thing!
    In other countries LOS is not a problems since wireless operators can use better frequencies which do not depend as much on LOS.
    So for me it is big time no go for Irish WISP, but good luck on getting the new frequencies!

Nitrox,

You are correct about it only being available in South Dublin at the moment.

Regarding LOS....it's only a bad thing if it fails. We don't charge for failed LOS tests so there's no risk there. We have a 70% success rate with LOS tests at the moment.

Install cost....We charge €259 for installs. This is lower than our wireless competitors and considerably lower than DSL when you factor in the cost of equipment and install fees.

When researching cost, please be aware that we include VAT in all our prices. Not everyone does this.

Thanks

Karl Martini
    www.irishwisp.net

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

come to cork irish wisp

ill let u place an transmitting antanna out my ass if needs be

i need u!!!!!!!!

baz

Baz,

Buttox-mounted antennas incur the risk of radiation exposure but thanks for the offer. Cork is being considered as a possible next transmitter location. As always, no promises and no dates until we're sure.

Karl Martini
    www.irishwisp.net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Hey Karl
    I see you are monitoring this thread, so let me throw out a few thoughts.
    When cable TV caught on in Denmark it was only because people in the same areas joined up and paid the huge install costs which was the shared among everyone over time. This has since involved that people also get serious broadband internet the same way.
    Big problem here is that people just don't do that, but still for many of the big apartment buildings you have WYSE in charge, so suggestions is your company or no one else trying to work with them, show them the advantage of what broadband for the apartments could mean for rent prices.
    What companies like WYSE do not want is for everyone to have an antenna each on the wall, simply wont happen, so you have a lot of people living in tall buildings, earning a lot of money (to pay the rent..) who could never have any wireless LOS broadband even if the paid twice the install price.
    I know this seems crazy, but i also know that one big antenna can carry a lot of data which again will lower the cost of installation and make it easier on everyone.
    Hope you will think about this or at least tell me why this is never going to happen in Ireland or even just Dublin City Center (not just south!!)

Advertisement