Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti Biotics (sp?)

• 12-03-2003 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

i was given a load of anti biotics by the doctor today. i have to take them for the next week. the problem is this. mixing these things with alcohol is a bad idea. i have seen people doing it and it wasn't nice at all. i have a pretty big party to attend on Sunday night and the drink will be flowing and then there is the drinking marathon (for me anyway) that happens on St. Patricks Day.

my plan is to stop taking them after Saturday and go back on them on Tuesday. how much time does one need before it is safe to drink some beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Whatever your ailment, it does not sound serious if your drinking plans are more important than the course of drugs you've been prescribed. (If you actually need the treatment then stop being an idiot and quit drink for the week.)

If you insist on drinking then I wouldn't take the tablets at all, there's no point in stopping and starting medication like that. You only increase the resistance of the virus to the particular anti-biotic you've been given (which you've already decided is non essential treatment).

have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Small Pedantic thing anti-biotics kill bacterial infections

The anti-biotics can take up to 5 days to stop having an effect. depends on that they are. A day off em is stupid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Are you sure your not able to drink? Some antibotics don't interact alchol in the blood stream. Read the leaflet inside to box it will tell you everything you need to know. You should have asked your doctor. I've asked my doctor before and he just told me to drink in moderation if I decided to drink at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

depends on the anti-biotic that your taking really.

some wear off within 12-24 hours, where as others sometimes take upto 4 days (maybe more, but i know someone who had to wait 4 days before )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i started this thread for some advice on whether or not it would be a good idea to do what i said in the first post

i haven't started taking them yet. so it isn't a case of me having to stop taking them and restarting again. i got them for an infection in my ear. it's not serious at all, just something i would like not to be there. i can live another week with it if i wanted to as long as i didn't have to go another few weeks with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Dont take them and go for the old warm olive oil drops instead. Never heard of an ear infection that hasnt been cured by warm olive oil tbh.
    Its like if you have something in your eye for a day you go for the old cold tea eye wash.
    100% effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

i've often gone out drinking and doing other shiit while being on antibiotics...(I dont advise it simply because you never know what might happen)....but I've never had a problem, there is more of a risk of rendering the antibiotics useless than there is of causing harm to yourself.......but as i said if your unsure dont do it, and if you think you can last another week without the antibiotics than why did you get them in the first place????? An earinfection may be painfull but it'll probably only last a week anyway......i would try to use warm olive oil and get some essential oils from a pharamacy(i think there are some that are good for ear infections) rather than use antibiotics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I hate anti Biotics....im sure there is another treatment for an ear infecion other than them, like chief said . And then you could still drink on paddys day etc...also ive seen m8's drinking on them and it isnt pretty :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by Tusky
    I hate anti Biotics....im sure there is another treatment for an ear infecion other than them, like chief said . And then you could still drink on paddys day etc...also ive seen m8's drinking on them and it isnt pretty :rolleyes:

most anti-biotics dont react with drink, percribed painkillers do.........most of the time people who calim that mixing antibiotics with drink gets em fukked usually feel the placebo effect ie. its all in the head.....but im neither a doctor or a pharamiscist so its only my uneducated opinion

edit/ this is not an attack on you or your m8's, just voicing an opinion, if you wanna get messy mix vallum and drink!!!! seriously not advisable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just finish the course of anti-biotics, don't go drinking. They need time to act, breaking up the doasage periods means you probably won't get the dosage high enough to kill off the infection.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i haven't started taking them yet. so it isn't a case of me having to stop taking them and restarting again. i got them for an infection in my ear. it's not serious at all, just something i would like not to be there. i can live another week with it if i wanted to as long as i didn't have to go another few weeks with it
    If you got them for just an ear infection and it's not too bad, then just delay taking them, untill Tuesday.
    Theres no problem, unless Gangerine is imminent in your ear, which I doubt.
    Give your doctor a quick call, or indeed the nurse in the surgery, and mention that you want to drink at the party, and I'm sure they'll tell you that delaying the course for a couple of days won't matter.
    But do finish the course when you start it.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i donno, 2 panadol and 3 cans one time and i was on my back

i gave the doctor a call today and he said another week would be fine but whatever i do, DO NOT drink alcohol while taking them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Some anti-biotics react badly with alcohol, so if your doctor tells you not to drink, then don't. tbh, it's just another day....

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you are given anti Bios you must complete the whole set.
    If you miss a day they will not be effective.

If you dont take the dosage recamented in the 24hr periods ie only thake 2 to day and try 4 tomorrow indtead of 3 per day they will not be effective.

If you drink while taking them not only will they not be effective you may as well dump the whole lot in the bin for the alchol will
    negate them.

Also if you drink all and still take all of them you will have just flushed ur system with anti bios and the end result being they did not work and you have given what ever nasty germs you have a chance to gain a tolerance which will end up with you being given stonger ones later. Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just two small points

1) Good to see you can drink to your hearts content as now you will be starting after Paddys I presume
    2) You were correct in your spelling - that is how you spell "Anti Biotics"

;)

yes i will be starting my course of anti biotics in the morning

nice to know i got the spelling right :) i wasn't sure as to whether or not it was one word, had a - between the words or my original spelling

Advertisement