Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy in work. Please help.

• 13-03-2003 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

I dunno what to do. I started this job 4 months ago which in the beginning was great and I learned lots of new stuff. Now work has gone slack and I sit at the PC from 9 to 6 Mon to Fri doing absolutely nothing. The pay is good and my colleagues are great but Im just not happy. I plan on going away in the Autumn to the US and I need all the money I can get. I have started to become withdrawn and depressed. I want to quit but apart from finding it hard to find another job, I dunno how to tell my boss. Any ideas/opinions?

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Tell him your bored to tears, and either
    (a) he gives you something to do, or
    (b) suggests some entettaining websites, cause you obviously have exhausted all the ones you know about!

X

Or more seriously, could you try studying for a qualification, like an MCP etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Xterminator

Or more seriously, could you try studying for a qualification, like an MCP etc?

this is exactly what you should do.
    first off, you are bettering yourself, never a bad thing
    secondly, the company will benefit from the training
    thirdly, you are getting of your arse and doing your own thing. bosses like this sort of enthusiasm as it makes you look like a go getter etc.
    fourth, it will allow you to get a better job in the states :)

i did this last year and got myself some qualifications by studying in work. got a few certs, and the management were so impressed the gave me a job, in sales!
    so while its nice to have the certs, i dont actually need them any more :)
    ironic eh ?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

what exactly are u supposed to be doing!

get more qualified thats what i'll be doing in the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

I have an IT related degree and Im working as a Network Technician, well supposed to be. Im just working to save but at the same time Im miserable and bored and fed up and .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If you're going away in a couple of months stick it out. Money for nothing - sounds good to me. Do some training package while you're at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Frankly, start reading some good books, keep your head down until you go.

Somethings you just have to do, not enjoy. Just be thankful you have job and that you are going somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Abraxas

Lexie, I'm in a very similar position to you. As everyone's said, using the free time productively by studying is the best way to go. But from experience, I know that when you become withdrawn and depressed over work (or rather, the lack of it) and can see little or not future, it's very hard to motivate yourself. But you've got the States just around the corner so as WWM said, use the present time to give yourself a better chance when you get there; down the line you'll be glad you did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

I will have to start doing something constructive or I will just explode with boredom. Maybe I will start reading books or learning something new. Thanx for all the help, its much appreciated.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you should be able to download some trancenders or something to entertain you. as for an IT degree, nice, but better to have a relevant qualification :)
    i didnt get where i am with a physics degree after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I'm at the other end, low pay but busy all the time (field IT network admin) ....

i would'nt mind giving your job a go lexie when your leaving, seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I sit at the PC from 9 to 6 Mon to Fri doing absolutely nothing.

Sounds familiar!! Though i only sit from 9 - 5:30 and while i can be bored i have a laugh with the lads.. read book, play games and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

so how come you can move the states do u have a green card or what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I worked as a techie in a bank headquarters and for the first few months I was bored stupid as well, after a while i walked the building and found that there was on-line training in the basement in almost anything you can think of. It was great. After that i started to hang around with the networking guys and learned an awful lot from them, until eventually I was meeting new people and buildind up my own workload.
    Four months isn't that long, i was encouraged not to do any work for the first month but to walk around the building and familarise my self with it and everbody that worked there (impossible to do over 3000 people).
    Try and stick it out - even if you see it at as a means to an end.

It's there job to keep you busy and if they don't, fcuk them...you'll still get paid, just find other ways to busy yourself.

good luck
    :)
    gogo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

sitting on your hands with nothing to do? I'd go and train myself before they made me redundant.

Advertisement