Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best virus checker?

• 13-03-2003 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

What is your favourite virus checker?
    What are the pros and cons of different packages?

I am running win2kpro on a dell pentium 3 800mhz laptop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I use AVG, it's pretty good, and free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I use Norton dunno why ,suppose im just lazy to get another, it hogs some system resources tried Panda for a while it was grand then free trial ran out and got norton 2003.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i also highly recommend AVG.

ive used Trend PC-Cillin in the past, AVG beats it hands down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Another vote for AVG.

I use the free one, new virus updates come out about once a month but thats about the only drawback.

How much resources does it use?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

AVG rocks
    i've install it on all pc's that i have
    its running on this machine and using just 1mb of memory
    i've also never gotten a virus

the updates are about every 6/7 days too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

AVG is extremely good, www.grisoft.com

Caught loads of email viruses for me thank god. Heard about it on 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I started using AVG on this forums advice
    and have yet to catch a virus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by djste18
    I started using AVG on this forums advice
    and have yet to catch a virus :D

No news is good news as they say djste :)

Make sure you have the email monitor turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I'm running Norton AV 2002 and am very, very happy with it. Updates released every Wednesday, or sooner if there is a new threat. (You can also schedule the LiveUpdate module to check automatically and d/l in the background).

As for resource-hogging, these are the two processes:

norton.gif

Wouldn't exactly call that hogging :confused: At least not for the level of protection.

[Edit: I'm running it under WinXP Home Ed. on a Dell Dimension PIII-733]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well, bearing in mind Norton has to check every single sheggin file being swopped in and out of memory (in auto protect mode) it becomes a resource hog, regardless of how much RAM the .exe occupies.

I hate it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

AVG for me too.

had Norton 2K2 but caused problems.

had some guys reformatt and re-install my CD-R and they put on AVG then.

pertty good...

only 261 virus definations tho [at last update]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I've stopped using AVG due to the infrequent virusupdates.
    I emailed there tech support about this and never got a reply, either.

I am on the Sophos anti virus mailing list, and on average they send a new virus or variant alert once a day.
    They release a new IDE file for each one.
    Somethimes ive seen 3 or 4 updates in one day.

Thus AVG's every couple, of weeks didnt inspire trust in it.
    That and the fact that when i emailed there support, pointing out this fact, i never received any answers.

I guess you just get what u pay for.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

i used nortons until the licence ran out.

I've switched to AVG now and am happy with it. the infrequent updates might be a problem if i had a high risk machine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Used to use McAfee then switched to AVG a few months back. Happy with it so far although the updates can be a bit slow to appear.

tbh i never wait to be told to update.

I update every 2 - 3 weeks manually and there is always an update. You can set AVG to check when an update is available, maybe some of you need to shorten that length of time ?

Go manual tho, its only a click of 3 buttons :D

Im an AVG fan now ,it is very good uses bugger all resources and does what its supposed to i had SYstemworks 2003 and it never ever ever told me i had a virus in an email and i get about 15 a day ,obviously i knew when they were viruses but still be nice to be told.
    AVG gets em all.

And systemworks and norton use a lot more resources than whats posted above.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 woodgorg

i start with the whole norton suit thing, that sucked though, it takes over your computer and takes up system resourses.(just like that realone player thing but thats a whole diffrent story :rolleyes: ) i then switched to pc-cillin but it kept crashing my independent firewall(sygate), cuz it had a rubbish one built in.
    i then switched to AVG, which was really good....and still is. shame about the updates though...
    please escuse my signiture one of my mice died or something.. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I think Nortons is good if you wanna pay for it, they have ppl working to protect ur comp from all known virlii, and it can repair files n exploits, it hogs system resources, but u can turn that off, u'll have to remember to do scan's ur, and update your virus defs your self tho.

I've heard nothing but good things about AVG. I'll always opt for the free one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If you arent PAYING for antivirus these days then you might as well play russian roulette.

I fix at least 5 pc's a weeks for people who either have AVG or NOrton 2001. "But I have antivirus! How can I have a Virus?"

The latest virii attack known AV proggies that cheap people use, then disable them and make it nearly impossible to remove them (as in you cant just update the virus program after infection as the virii disable that too)

Last night I was working on a pc with 452 virii on it. The guy was running his entire companies accounts on it and the machine was TOTALLY borked. He was using Norton 2001 still and didnt bother updating. People are SO cheap.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by yankinlk
    If you arent PAYING for antivirus these days then you might as well play russian roulette.
    What would you suggest then?
    Just because something is free doesn't mean it's of a lower standard than a similar commerical product.
    Ever use Linux or FreeBSD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I use AVG on a company mailserver, with 150 or so users, and 6-8K mails per day. Nothing has ever gotten through. I changed the update period to one day, from the default 14.

Anyone who has a virus on a PC with AVG did so by one of 2 methods.

1. Installed AVG after getting a virus. (Common enough).

2. Wasn't bothered updating. (Muppets).

I'll pit AVG against ANY anti-virus software on the market, free or otherwise. Used properly, you can't go wrong.

My 0.02 Euros worth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It installs / uninstalls cleanly and doesn't take what feels like 1/3 of CPU time. - Can be set to update off the web or of a companies intranet site..

Oh and a real biggie - you don't have to reboot NT4 servers when you change a version - NetworkAssociates doubled thier prices over the last few years without fixing the management tools - you can't tell if AV is installed and working on a PC - false negaives and false positives.

McAfee / Dr Solomons used to be two of the best - but would not touch with a barge pole cos not good value for money and I never want to visit 70 machines and reboot servers out of hours every 9 months - and any SW that needs regedit to perform an upgrade .... and don't get me started on their exchange server product ..... it is as bad as arcserve...

Ok SOPHOS is commercial - but employees can use it on their home computers too...

(AVG can't be used on a commercial machine for free..)

Originally posted by Jaden
    I'll pit AVG against ANY anti-virus software on the market, free or otherwise. Used properly, you can't go wrong.

My 0.02 Euros worth.

if you "use it properly" then you've paid them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Ill also add to AVG - I have used it and other expensive progams like Norton etc. Had a serious virus slip past on one machine with Nortons fully updated, but AVG nailed it on another machine.

Its light - uses little memory, and is free for non commercial use (unless that has changed). The only issue with Virus are that htye get written before the anti dote - if you are the one to receive it erly enuff, youre screwed anyway.

Originally posted by yankinlk
    if you "use it properly" then you've paid them for it.
    What is your obsession with paying for software? Or is this a bad attempt at trolling?

Grisoft are now pushing AVG 7 as the product of choice, relegating the FREE version to the background some what.

It is still being supported, and virus definitions are also available. I just wonder how long will the free version continue.

If it were to stop, I would consider purchasing AVG 7, its just that good !

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

I would definately go for AVG. It's by far the best of them all. all around. and its free.. handy really.

I seriously hope that it'll stay freeware!!

Originally posted by GoneShootin
    If it were to stop, I would consider purchasing AVG 7, its just that good !
    Same here, I'm half thinking of buying it anyway for the frequent updates, plus from what I can see it's €29.50 for a 2 year licence!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    What is your obsession with paying for software? Or is this a bad attempt at trolling?

im just wacky like that. free maybe ok for individual home use - but running a mail server on it?

Advertisement