Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best virus checker?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by yankinlk
    im just wacky like that. free maybe ok for individual home use - but running a mail server on it?
    I think it's implied that this thread is about AV software on a home pc rather than in a corporate environment.
    Anyway, AVG's licence (free one) won't allow you to use it on a server etc afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭tendofan

Has anyone else noticed that NAV on Win2K sp3 screws with Easy CD creator? I've seen a situation on such a machine where buring any type of file on the hard disk to CD-R causes Easy CD creator to report errors on the CD burner.

Putting the source and destination directories on the exclusion list in Norton didn't cure it - had to shut down norton completely while the buring was happening...

Is it just the machine in question - and old Dell 400MHz PII, with Win2K SP3 and a Philips CDRW800?

Tendofan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I didn't HAVE to pay for AVG to work on my mailserver, but I did anyway. (MDaemon runs quite nicely on W2K Pro) We have a site licence for AVG in here. I also use it at home.

Cleared Up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Norbon

so far the favorite seems to be AVG I might suggest that if you are upset with it you might try the paid for version. I have never had a problem. Am in spitting contest with another one right now that came with a new computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Anti-Vir or AVG, I use Anti-Vir. Norton is a pile of dung, remove it from every machine I have ever worked on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Whoa, Necropolis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

NOD32 kicks ass imo, but requires payment!!!!!!!
    so AVG ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

I use Avast and it FREE updates or one a day. It even speaks to you

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a reminder that AntiVirus by itself is just not good enough.
    you also need a decent firewall and some decent anti-malware app.

If you are getting broad band I'd recommend investing the cash in upgrading the ADSL/cable box to one that had NAT or better firewall, before spending it on antivirus rental. if you have the Hardware firewall and software firewalll and spubot, spyware blaster, windows defender and the other crowd of anti malware apps, THEN consider spending your money on the AV, ( or you could get an integrated solution that has AV + firewall, but going back 15 years IT staff have always kept away from such stuff as they tended to mix and match the best/most cost effictive product from each stable, no resonably priced integrated security solution has ever had all of its components been regarded as best of breed )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

NOD32 kicks ass imo, but requires payment!!!!!!!
    so AVG ftw

Thats Norton is it not? Norton is a resource hog.
    Rambo wrote:
    I use Avast and it FREE updates or one a day. It even speaks to you

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Thats what we have. Am reasonably happy with it for home use of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

brim4brim wrote:
    Thats Norton is it not? Norton is a resource hog.

Thats what we have. Am reasonably happy with it for home use of course.

Don't think it has anything to do with Norton (thank God).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

NOD32 and Norton are at antipodes as virus scanners.

Norton hods system resources
    NOD32 doesn't, you wouldn't even know it was running

NOD32 works
    Norton doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nod32 ftw tbqh.

Payment should be a non issue for the best on the market really.

Advertisement