Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide attacks against US/UK soldiers

Options
  • 13-03-2003 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

I thought you may find the following article of interest. I saw same on Euronews this morning and its very scary.
    See the following link to article http://www.euronews.net/create_html.php?page=detail_info&lng=1&option=4,info

If this is the case maybe Mr Murdoch could be showing photos of dead US/UK soldiers instead of arial photos of various buildings being blown up. Apart from the obvious loss of lives this could have a huge impact on the propaganda war/media impact(link above incorrect see Victors post immediatley below for transcript of article)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bug
    See the following link to article http://www.euronews.net/create_html.php?page=detail_info&lng=1&option=4,info
    "Britain's Prince Charles embarrassed by report on staff antics"? you mean http://www.euronews.net/create_html.php?page=detail_info&lng=1&option=3,info
    Suicide strikes planned against US and British forces

As US and British troops mass at Iraq's border, volunteers from across the Arab world are training as suicide attackers. Fighters from Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebanon, Libya and elsewhere are being instructed by Iraq's special forces. [T]heir ideologies may range from Arab nationalism to Islamic fundamentalism but the men all have one thing in common - they hate the United States and are prepared to die in their quest to destroy the country. Camera crews were taken to a display of two dozen fighters at a camp just outside Baghdad, although the volunteers say there are hundreds more training for death and glory.

For that to happen they will have to face the military might of 250,000 US and British soldiers. With Washington desperate to avoid casualties and to prevent the bodies of American soldiers appearing on television screens, the suicide attackers could prove surprisingly effective.
    I saw some footage last night of this and if nothing else, these guys would be a liability as a regular armed force - one of the nearly shot the camera man as he stood up on a rifle range.

If they're suicide bombers/attackers, then theres no need to have them as part of the regular troops.

They'd be deployed as hit & run, demolition, and pure suicide runs. They'd also use some of the tactics the VC used in Vietnam. Suicide attacks, are more dangerous, than regular attacks, since you can break the morale of a reg. attack.

They say the one attack an embassy can't prevent is a suicide run.

It'll be kinda sore for the Americans, especially if the Iraqi's, can hit supply stations, Command bunkers, Aircraft hangers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Sorry about that Victor, and thanks for putting the article up. The links must change to different news stories each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Does it not say something that these men, some of them who will be quite intelligent, want to kill themselves in the service of what the whole Middle East knows to be a corrupt and dangerous regime? It seems to me that these men so hate America fr her crimes that they are willing to die to punish her troops. The only logic therefore is that when so many people can hate one country so much then there are serious problems that need to e dealt with by the International Community.

the cynic in me is saying that the past has shown that the international community, is no longer capable of solving anything. Which is such a joke against me, since America, who i'm currently so against is the only one actually capable of doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's nice the way they sneak al Qaeda into the story. If I was al Qaeda I'd come from soemwhere otyher than Iraq - "in the history of navel warfare, no one has ever looked behind him".

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-12275681,00.html
    SHIPS ON TERROR ALERT

Coalition naval forces are on high alert against suicide attacks after Iranian gunboats intercepted an Iraqi speedboat packed with half a tonne of high explosive.

Three other Iraqi speedboats, which it is feared may contain similar amounts of explosive, got away when Iranian forces engaged Iraqis at the mouth of the Shatt-al-Arab River.

The explosives were discovered after one of the Iraqi boats was run aground during the confrontation.

British, American and Australian warships in the region have been on high alert for the risk of al Qaeda strikes since the suicide attack against the USS Cole in October 2000 in which 17 American sailors were killed.

But the discovery of the Iraqi speedboats is the first definite physical evidence that suicide attacks are being planned in the region.

Before the war started Rear Admiral David Snelson, the British naval commander in the Gulf, said the threat of small speedboats packed with explosives was "uppermost in his mind" in terms of threats to the Royal Navy.

All 30 Navy and Royal Fleet auxiliary vessels currently in the Gulf have mounted round-the-clock force protection squads on deck.

Armed with general-purpose machine guns, the squads have permission to open fire on vessels if they continue to close on a ship after ignoring signals and warning shots across the bow.

Advertisement