Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE Configuration

• 13-03-2003 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

I know its been mentioned time and time again.. but say I have two hard drives a cd-writer and a dvd/cd-drive.

Whats the best IDE master/slave configuration?

Usage-wise, 80% of CDs written will be files from the first hard drive, other 20% are either direct CD copies or files from the 2nd drive.

Cheers,
    Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i'd say first hd and the dvd/cdrom on one and second hd and the cdrw on the other - if it's a recent cdr it'll have burnproof too so you shouldn't lose disks if you're burning from the second to the cdrw if it does run out of data in the buffers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

unless both of the drives on the channel are the same standard (ie ATA33 HS and CDROM) DONT MIX THEM

not always, but quite often, putting a CDROM (or RW) on the same channel as a HD slow down your HD performance.

Both CDRW and CDROM (DVD) on the same channel is fine! Considering 48x comes in at about 8.5Mb\s (guessing here) you dont really need to worry unless you have ancient hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would have HD and DVD on IDE 1
    CDRW and HD2 on IDE2 with the CDRW as Master i find thats the smoothest for operation with my setup.
    Tried a few different variants but that was the best mainly because the CDRW was a Master.

I have 2 x 40GB HDs
    €40 DVD
    and a decent CDRW/CDR/DVD drive.
    kdjac

Advertisement