Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam part 2

• 13-03-2003 5:53pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the verge of taking Carlow IT off the front page (top 20) because of spam... ok no big deal, but the thought occured to me that since most of it is juct casual conversation you guys might like your own web-interfaced chat room (a bit like #boards.ie on irc... just going to #carlowit or something....)

Any idea if the web interface works in the college?
    Any interest in a common place to hang out and chat online?

DeV.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

we have #carlowit running at the moment on quakenet.. the chat topic above has instructions on how to get there...

i don't think the web based chat would work in the college, the admins are fairly good at catching stuff like that

as for taking the carlowit board off the top 20, that is probably a good idea, I've been locking threads left right and center but the posters here just love their spam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I dont think taking us off the Top 20 would really be a bad idea. As for a web chat place to hang out, that would be cool, except for the evil techies what live in the tower of doom.

Depends what type of webchat you hand in mind, i.e proxy support etc. etc. There are others more suitable to discuss this particular topic, I just come for the spam to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

http://www.boards.ie/chat

HTTP Error

Description : Organizational policies prohibit access to this page.

Note : If necessary, please contact your Systems Administrator for resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

that can be gotten around but im sure the techies would go mad if it was general knowledge and clamp down on it even more.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They are catching anything with "chat" in the url...

On the sly could you try:

www.boards.ie/wehweh

See if that works.

If they ban you we have ways around that too :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

i think Ivan tried that too devore, when regi first suggested it in #boards.ie, and It didnt work..

wouldn't connect or something

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you can use MIRC in the college then you can use that... should be any different. (Its just a java client delivered over the web!)

Someone in the college give it shot... its not like you guys appear to have anything important to do all day :)

DeV.

<Dempseyt> unable to connect
    <Dempseyt> is the message i get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

nope your /wehweh chat room thingy doesnt work. it installls the java cleint but wont connect. maybe if there was proxy support in the java client it might work.. no reason why it shouldnd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

port 6660-66670 i think are banned by the routers :(
    but if you ask Mt.proxy nicely he will let you through ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement