Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park and ride

Options
  • 13-03-2003 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I know we were promissed these over and over in dublin and probably other major cities aswell.

How come they have never materialised? It really confuses my how councils and government cannot muster up the willingness to build such facilities in the suburbs for people commuting to park their car and take a bus, train, tram into the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are spaces at a lot of DART / Arrow stations. Quite a few church car parks act as unofficial park and rides (Foxrock, Donnycarney). Several LUAS statiosn will ahve P&R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Victor
    There are spaces at a lot of DART / Arrow stations. Quite a few church car parks act as unofficial park and rides (Foxrock, Donnycarney). Several LUAS statiosn will ahve P&R.

I did not know this. :)

I was thinking of 1 for finglas, 1 for swords and 1 for blanchardstown/mulhuddart as these are very badly affected by traffic at rush hour. It would also be good as these are almost on the borders of the city, so allot of out of town commuters pass through them on their way to the city. Navan being a big example where thousands of people commute to the city via blanchardstown and the N3. A huge station where you could park at the edge of the city, take a train in to the city, and a train back out in the evening would be hugely beneficial here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

A huge station where you could park at the edge of the city, take a train in to the city, and a train back out in the evening would be hugely beneficial here.
    of course it would, but that might be the right thing to do. Irish rail would probably whinge about not being able to add extra capacity on the line blah blah blah, the usual spiel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Bus Eireann operate a Park and Ride in Cork over xmas, but I dont know if they still do it all year round

Originally posted by STaN
    Navan being a big example where thousands of people commute to the city via blanchardstown and the N3. A huge station where you could park at the edge of the city, take a train in to the city, and a train back out in the evening would be hugely beneficial here.
    Drive to Drogheda, park there, get a train to Connolly / whereever. Coolmine, Clonsilla, Castleknock, Ashtown stations would also work

http://www.irishrail.ie/dart/your_journey/maps_and_zones.asp

Or go to Blanchardstown, park in the centre and get a bus (38/39 are best) into town in teh bus lane.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/

236 | 237 | 239 | 270 | 38 | 38A | 38C | 39 | 39N | 39X | 70 | 70N | 70X | 76A |

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Ugh you don't wanna get a bus from blanchardstown..
    the traffic is a joke especially on the navan road..
    39 is not a good route.. it's a load of sh1t tbh..
    and Victor the 76a doesn't go anywhere near town
    It goes from blanchardstown to tallaght via the M50
    The 236/237/238 don't go near town either..

Originally posted by Repli
    and Victor the 76a doesn't go anywhere near town It goes from blanchardstown to tallaght via the M50 The 236/237/238 don't go near town either..
    I know, but where does STaN work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Victor
    I know, but where does STaN work?

I personally just jump on the M50 at castleknock to inchicore. (20min journey)

It has been the case for a while that more and more people are moving into "satellite" towns to avoid paying the huge prices of Dublin real estate. But have almost as much benefit as living in the Dublin through commuting but avoiding living there.

If it were up to me i would have a rail line and a dual carraigeway serving these towns aswell as park an ride facilities all round the outskirts of Dublin. It would take some though councilers to plan this AND make the decision to do it, but it could be easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Rail line? Makes perfect sense - they'll never do it.

I'm always pleasantly surprised any time I visit friends living in the outskirts of London with the choice of train options they have. Last time I was in Barnes, I took a train to Clapham, found myself on a train going in the wrong direction (oops) that turned out to be going to Clapham eventually anyway after going in a circle around Strawberry Hill (the village, not the sweaty club). Train travel over there seems to be geared far more towards the idea of where people need to travel to and from than just putting a line between two major locations and people being lucky if they happen to find themselves living alongside the line. If we got really organised we could lay rail and services (not just sewage & power but fibre as well) to any commuter towns around Dublin for under 35 million a kilometre. All it would take is a few councillors to pull the finger out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

eh Victor, being one of the lucky commuters who does drive to Coolmine sttaion and park there - it's always full and you see the rather amusing sight of cars abandoned wherever their owners can fit them including balancing three wheels on pavements. Meanwhile seven disabled car parking spaces remain empty - as the station isn;t accessible for disabled. And then when you do get to the train there's 500 people waiting for it. Popular amusement of the day includes counting the number of people who faint in the carriages, and taking bets on the day when we actually will be sitting on the roof instead of in the carriages. Oh yeah and that's the days that the train actually does arrive on time and isn't stopped at the bridge before Connolly for 20 minutes in silence. Yeah, that commute is such an attractive option!

Mind you it is better than the 39 bus!

and btw, 'park and ride' in australia is called 'kiss and ride'!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by highlight
    Popular amusement of the day includes counting the number of people who faint in the carriages,
    Ah the memories of sharing the toilet cubicle with my blonde "well fit" economics lecturer on the way from Malahide in the bad old days. ;)

Advertisement