Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing win95 from win2k

Options
  • 13-03-2003 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an old digital camera and the software for it wont run on windows 2000. I decided to create a small partition on one of my drives to install windows 95 on, so i can get my pictures. I can't install windows 95 from windows 2000, so i booted up from a floppy into dos (win98 bootup disk) and tried to install from there. However, because my C drive is NTFS the windows 95 cd can't create a temp directory to put files so it wont install from there either. I tried using the win ME boot up disk (knowing it wouldn't make a difference, but what the hell) aswell. Then i tried it all again with a win98 cd. Still no luck.

Does anybody know how i can install eiter 95 or 98 on my machine?

Thanks
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

You cant go backwards. Combined with the fact that your drive is NTFS. Because win 9x cant read NTFS partitions.

The only option that I can think of is to backup everything you need/want to the newly created partition. Then format the NTFS partition with FAT or FAT32. Install Win9x. Once thats complete Install 2K and you'll have a dual boot machine.

Just ensure that you dont upgrade the 9x install to 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

emmm, yeah thought of that, but there's too much stuff to back up and i don't want to have to reinstall all my programs and all that again. Thanks tho.....any other ideas anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Get some partition managing software (e.g. Partition Magic), back the NTFS partition up a bit, create a FAT/FAT32 partition as D: and install onto that.

i have created a FAT partition on the NTFS partition with Partition Magic....but i can't install to the FAT drive cause the C drive (where the win 95 setup tries to put temp files during setup) is not readable by the CD....since it's NTFS

How about this...could be dodgy. What if i converted the NTFS drive to Fat32 and installed win95 and then converted it back.
    Will that mess up my drive?
    would prefer not to do this cause i think it takes ages...but any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

best option would be to use partitionmagic to make a small fat32 patririon at the start (or end) of the drive and inslatt 95 or 98 on it.

then you will have to conifgure teh boo.ini file of your 2k installation ot include it in you menu.

if you need to, you can change your NTFS partition back to FAT

• Advertisement

yes, but the problem is that i can't install. I have the FAT drive already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Have you checked the manufacturer's website to check if there are Windows 2000 drivers available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yes, but the problem is that i can't install. I have the FAT drive already.

why not, whats the problem? No space left?

Getting latest drivers (even hacked ones) may be the best answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Have you tried the s/w in compatability mode...

http://www.activewin.com/tips/win2000/1/2000_tips_43.shtml

yeah i've looked everywhere for drivers. I can't get it to run in windows 95 compatible mode either. It's just a plugin for an imaging software program.

The camera is pretty damn old but i have old pictures on it that i really want. I tried putting the flash card into my new camera but they're incompatible.

Actually if anybody can read japaneese they might be able to tell me where i can get drivers from
    here or from here

Cheers
    N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by byrnenj
    Actually if anybody can read japaneese they might be able to tell me where i can get drivers from
    here or from here

Try the nice people on the Japanese board :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

I'd use vmware - at the moment, you can download a copy of the latest beta version for free from www.vmware.com

that's not a bad idea at all. Think i nmight give that a go. cheers

Advertisement