Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connected at 115,200bps ... line probs.

Options
  • 14-03-2003 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

New phone line put in just 10 days ago...
    Perfect for 8 days....connected at 50,670 with my 56k modem.

Now.... I've got noise on the line, dropped connections, inability to connect ..... but when I do.... it can be at anything from 26,000 to the alarming 115,200 that I'm connected at right now???

...or so my computer is telling me... :confused:

I reported a fault on the line, of course.

I also have my line submitted for adsl check and because it's a new line it's taking a while to get the result...

Is there any way that this noise on the line can be due to Eircom's tests on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Rancid
    115,200 that I'm connected at right now???

...or so my computer is telling me... :confused:

I reported a fault on the line, of course.

Is there any way that this noise on the line can be due to Eircom's tests on it?

Impossible, you may not have the best driver for your modem, check Windows Update to see if there is a newer version. The Modem should not REPORT 115k connects (on a 56K Modem) if Correctly configured. 115k is the Port speed.

You were right to report a fault, any lightninng in the area on Sunday/Monday ? Was that wnhen you noticed a degradation.?

The line test is done once or twice but not continously so I suspect not.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have setting on my modem like that. My goes up to 912xxx. I'm not sure but its a mad figure for a 56k modem and the right drivers are installed. I'll get back to you on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Fault started Wednesday between 8am and 6pm when I wasn't online.
    And yes......we had crazy heavy rain that day so the possibility of lightning too is high!

And... when I called Eircom for fault update.... they told me it was reporting "high voltage" ....and would be fixed soon.

Still not fixed though ...:(

I'm guessing that it's telling me 115,200 due to some peak/freak voltage thing???:confused:

Anyway... I talked to the repair guys outside my house today and they estimate it should be fixed by tomorrow morning.:)

Got home and went into the modem properties, the maximum port speed is 115200. And when i go into Internet Connection and the maximum speed(bps) is 921600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

115,200 is usually indicative of a USB modem. Its the speed that the PC is connected to the modem, not the modem to the ISP.

If youve a PCI modem then just ignore me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

115,200 is usually indicative of a USB modem. Its the speed that the PC is connected to the modem, not the modem to the ISP.

dont you mean com port? USB is 12MBits or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Eircoms SLA on pstn lines is a minimum of 5 days, so thats why it wasn't fixed so far. it'll be a comeplete minimum of 5 working days before an engineer will even have a squiz at it.

Pain in the bum i know but thats how it is ...

Paul

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    dont you mean com port? USB is 12MBits or thereabouts

USB is 12MB/s, anyway

Advertisement