Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Graphics Card

• 14-03-2003 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

just wondering what you think is the best graphics card on the market at the moment

ATI/Geforce/ an other

tanx

king:)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Radeon 9800pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I'm not holding out on nvidia just yet, they are set to release a geforce FX with 256mb ddr2 on a 128bit bus. Could yet get very interesting, apparently it will be faster than the 9800pro by 15-20%. I'll wait and see for myself, I'm just happy we're all going to get cheaper faster hardware cus ati and nvidia are gonna be going head to head for the fastest ram, gpu and overall card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thats what they said about the 5800 Pro months ago. It was delayed for ages..and when it eventually arrived..it certainly didnt steal the show.

I think it will end up being faster than the 9800 by maybe 5%...but it will still have a huge noisey fan on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

That new nvidia card is the nv35 is it not? Which wont be out for at least another 3-4 months? Which means that at the moment the 9800 pro has the show .
    Unless you dont consider that to be out yet as its not easily available in which case the 9700 pro is your choice as the FX aint readily avail yet either.

To me it seems ATI have the crown and will take something special from nvidia to take it back...and keep it.

Ah competition, /me loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

here's a recient article about this from toms hardware

here

has got most recient cards compared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well then, on the flip side:

Dont dismiss nVidias heavily promoted CG Game Developer "partner" program. Like it or not, such games\apps will most likely run considerably better on Nvidia HW.

Also factor in that the FX got wildly different scores on every review, print and web. Sometimes considerably slower, othertimes fast enough to warrant purchasing over the competition, exposing the problems with the way most people judge how "fast" a card is. Dont let nVidias handy "unified architecture drivers" mislead you, this is a new design that will improve with new drivers. The 9800 is based on a tried and tested design (which itself wasnt as revolutionary as the FX)... its not really going to get any better.

In regards to the noise, when not running games its quieter\similar than the 9700\9800 (much quieter than the GF4 range). When running games its loud, but you may not notice depending on speaker volume, case type etc.

If thats not good enough for you, then there are several manufacturers making FX cards with improved cooling designs, eliminating noise from the consideration.

The 9800 is surely the "safe-bet" at this moment, but the FX (and future FX technology) could very well be the better card.

Matt

Advertisement