Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portable storage - pendrive alternative

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Sweet.

Luc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

As an alternative, I recently happened across the great idea of using my digital camera as a 'pen drive' whilst looking for a way to a couple of MP3 albums home from work. 256MB CF card in the camera, I just stuck it on the machine here and sure enough I was able to copy whatever I liked onto it.

Handy. Although they must be wondering what the camera is about !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Another form of prtable storage is the Flip2disk by Amacom which can store upto 80Gbytes. They are shock-resistent, pocket-sized hard drives and are used for day-to-day back up and portable storage.

It is ideally suited to users of data-intensive digital multimedia such as film, music, and digital photography. They have transfer rates as fast as an internal HD and are compatible with PC and MAC and laptops.

They also come software called 'Flipback', disaster recovery software. This performs a complete backup of the internal HD, system files and bood sector on a Windows PC.

Flip2Disks can also be used with Amacom Diskstation which is an internal IDE docking station that offers full disaster recovery and the ability to boot different OS on the same computer.

PC's can also operate the Flip2Disk as a primary drive, allowing them to remove the device when not in use and store in a safe place. With no mains power required, connectivity is through one of Amacom's Intelligent Interface cables including USB2, PCMIA, Parallel and IDE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

why not buy them together liek this set up

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=35929&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=9&GrpID=2&s=sr

these things are great, and at a push of a boottum you can auto back up all your files to it.

Or you could try a LAKS Memory Watch . It can store upto 256Mbytes of storage space and the watch is water-resistent too. It connectes to your PC through USB which can be hidden in the watch when you are not using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

now thats proper portability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Or you could try a LAKS Memory Watch . It can store upto 256Mbytes of storage space and the watch is water-resistent too. It connectes to your PC through USB which can be hidden in the watch when you are not using it.

Now that is a cool toy.

Yah, extremely handy and they are $48, whatever that is in Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a USB2 case that I bought on ebay for less than €25 and a 40GB HD that I bought here for €60 .... works a treat, VERY handy for shifting stuff between PC's at work / home / friends house etc ....

But that watch looks excellent ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I want to get one of the 512 meg storage / mp3 player usb sticks, havent seen one for a good price yet though.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Yah, extremely handy and they are $48, whatever that is in Euros.

says €149 on that link of yours...
    but show me where they are $48 cause I like it.

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    says €149 on that link of yours...
    but show me where they are $48 cause I like it.

I read about it on the PC World site and there they say its $48. The 32Mbyte watches are $48 and the 256Mbyte are $149 probably.

No matter, still see myself ordering one before the weekends out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Make sure it doesn't need an external power supply. Many of these so called portable drives have power supplies that are big , heavy and very awkawrd to carry around.

I swear by my old fashioned 256MB USB powered Iomega zip drive. Its about the size of a paberback book it comes with a dinky little case which has storage for a disk and the cable. The whole lot fits very easily into a pocket of my briefcase.

Advantages of the zip drive over a key-ring type drive:
    1. Removable disks - Very important for proper archiving and storage - I keep several volumes of backups.
    2. Size - The key chain drives are just too small - I wouldn't trust my valuable data not to get sat on - eaten by the dog etc.

The downer is that it is only USB1.1 and only 250MB per disk. Iomega do make a newer 750MB USB 2 version but this needs an external power supply - kinda defeating the whole point.

.....and driver installation required for every machine.
    .....and a briefcase pocket and therefore briefcase to carry around

Besides, only a fool would keep his valuable data on any portable device.

Its not a permanent storage medium, just a transfer one.

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    .....and driver installation required for every machine.
    .....and a briefcase pocket and therefore briefcase to carry around

Besides, only a fool would keep his valuable data on any portable device.

Its not a permanent storage medium, just a transfer one.

Don't get too upset there - I'm only pointing out that the old fashioned zip drive works great for me. In my work I travel around a bit and have to use different computer systems. I used to use a laptop but I got sick and tired of trying to get the laptop to talk to a new computer network every day. No drivers are required - leastways not on any operating system created within the last 5 years. I guess the briefcase is a given becasue it's a work situation but I find the zip is just perfect for this - the laptop was way too heavy and anything with a power supply and trailing cable is a chore. A keychain drive would get lost or broken in the bottom of my briefcase or even in my pocket.

Granted I wouldn't rely on any portable medium for my only backup storage but in my experience (and I would guess in many others too) simple transfer media become a lot more than that - you end up working on a files while on the road and you need a reliable method of ensuring you get them back to base.

By the way you also need some very clever synchronising software which is another hobbyhorse of mine but that is a story for another day.

There are plenty of portable storage options available at the moment such as: The Disgo's DiskOnKey (€79 for 128Mbyte) and SanDisk's pocket-size Cruzer ($109.99 for 256Mbyte).

You don' t have to go top the USA to get a bargain pen-drive.

256MB: €84 for USB1.1
    256MB €100 for USB2

http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/memory/usb-flash-drive.html

Despite the name they are based in Kildare and sell in Euros.

Advertisement