Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.8T Passat.... WOOHOO!!!!!!

Options
  • 14-03-2003 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I just picked up my new 18.T Passat yesterday...holy mother of all things beautiful ... what a car. The ride and quality is superb, and the pickup... well lets just say the turbo kicks in real nice:eek:

IF anyone of you are thiking along the lines of a new Passat... go do it. They are an amazing car!

c0y0te <-- totally happy driver at the mo, even in traffic jams!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ya the VW 1.8 20VT engines really do have a nice kick to them dont they :).... There is nothing better that cruising along at say 60 in fifth and when you go to overtake you dont even need to gear down all you have to do is press the pedal a tiny bit harder, hearing the turbo boosting and then hold on for dear life :). When you get used to the kick they have as standard take a look at http://www.oettinger.de/ and see what you can get ;)...

One thing just make suke you warm up and cool down your engine properly after taking it for a spin. That is dont floor it straight away and if you have been driving hard drive like a granny for a few minutes before parking up or leave your engine run for a few minutes when you park. This will help prolong your turbo....

kayos

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Build quality is superb but its a tank way too heavy [for speed that is],
    Its the same as the 1.8 T Audi A4 my brother had.
    He went down 2 years to a 2 litre Celica GT4 , now WOW thats a car , superb build quality and bomb proof reliability.
    This thing is fast like a Passat 1.8 t can only dream of.
    I had his Audi for a month and TBh my current Avensis 1.8 vvti is as quick if not qiucker and has no turbo.
    Dont get me wrong your Passat is a beautifull car i had a 1.8 non turbo, 00 model myself.The Passat 1.8 T for speed and especially acceleration its only average.In fact A Starlet GT turbo 1.3 or Maxda GTX 1,3 Turbo simply destroy your Passat never mind other 1.8 T models in this area but your car is more comfy of course.
    To me its a great car but since ur talking about speed the above is relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

tbh - I'm not that bothered about the speed, I'm impressed with the pickup the turbo gives.

I don't particularly mind if the passat is not the fastest thing on the road out there, since that's not the reason I went for a turbo. I'm happy with the ride, the quality and the ability to get power when I need it, rather than outright speed.

c0y0te

Fair enough ,but your turbo is dead compared to even the 1.3 models i named.Have you driven a Turbo car before this?
    Personally id prefer a big comfy car with decent performance[ like yours] to small rockets.
    But since you are talking about the Turbo side of things thats only reason i posted.
    Enjoy your car :)

@DCully so you reckon that a Starbo would trash most of the VAG group 1.8T engined cars??? So what power comes in these cool cars and do they have those cool DV's that make the psssssstttttt sound???? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Apple and Oranges....Apples and Oranges...

2 different cars for 2 different purposes.

Someone buys a Passat 1.8T for comfort, practiality and a bit of power

Someone buys a Starlet GT Turbo for lunacy, and great pickup speeds of and to defeat guys in their 1.8T's

Just be FAIR about what you are comparing !

A Starlet GT Turbo untouched will output 130bhp and do 0-60 in about 7 seconds (dont b/s me about 6 second GT's, I know them!)

A Passat 1.8T untouched will output 150bhp with 155 lb/ft torque and do 0-60 in about 8 1/2 seconds

Remember the weight difference here, remember what the cars are designed for..

I think mocking someone about their 1.8T being beaten by a 1.3 GT-Turbo should consider to themselves that the person talking about the performance of the 1.8T is not making comparisions and merely stating that the car does have a nice power curve, and indeed it does, being a turbo. Oh and also stop being pedantic!

Yes, all Turbo cars have Dump Valves, a necessary requirement for all turbos to dump excess pressure (either into atmosphere or recirculate back into the intercooler/intake). There are some exceptions as people will point out, for e..g very low pressure diesel turbos which dont need them :P

5 times out of 10, if a young fella owns a Starlet GT, you can assured that they have added a 3rd party dumpvalve(blowoff valve) with an increased dumprate and louder noise (Psssftt!)
    they would have probably spend 400 weeks pocketmoney on a nice HKS or Greddy Atmospheric dumpvalve so the local traffic warden has ample time to dodge the 100mph bullet coming thru the small village.

As far as modifrying your turbo, just remember...an increase of 1psi knocks roughly 8,000 miles off the life of your turbine...as I say..roughly...

If you do modifry it, then be sure to add a Turbo Timer.
    If you dont modifry it, it may still be worth considering a Turbo Timer (even set to 30 seconds!) to allow the turbo to cool down correctly rather than sitting in the car for a while idling before turning off the engine.....they are not wildly expensive and most nowaday come with an ECU harness which does not require splicing of wires.

HTH, J.

Bastard, whos mocking who?
    I said its a beautifull car, thats not mocking ffs.
    I was just comparing to other turbo models.
    I also said i prefer a big comfy decent performer to a boy racer GT turbo, here again thats not mocking,is it?
    Your performance breakdown is spot on,so Koyus now you know all turbos have a dump-valve :)
    Bastard BTW whos bull****ing bout 6 second starlets?
    Me thinks your seeing posts im not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

one thing missin here is sure a starlet will have the passat off the line, but say your drivin along at 60 in a starlet besdie a passat and you both floor it u can say good ****in night to the passat, it will bury the starlet
    like my bike against an sti impreza for example, faster over a standin quarter but from 60 on not a hope in hell

Lo Dcully,

I should have stated that my 'mocking' doesnt actually refer in completeness to you, but I hear this argument nearly every week from other people on other forums about Turbo'ed cars.

You do state a very strong disapproval to a 1.8T turbo though :)
    Fair enough ,but your turbo is dead compared to even the 1.3 models i named

For example, some dude tried to persuade me his stock Starlet GT Turbo would do a 6-second Sixty and I was hoping that he would read this thread :D

Yours off the line,
    J. :)

yeah i love that 6 second starlet rubbish
    or they add a dump valve and exhaust and suddenly it has 180bhp
    havin sat in a stock renault 5 gt turbo(0-60 7.3 tested) and watched it pull convincly from a starlet turbo i seriously question these claims
    had a 03 skoda octavia rs taxi try to race me today! ****in nitwit, i couldnt get it wound up to bury him coz we were in the middle of fairview :(

• Advertisement

My point about the starlets is there is no way they will beat all the VAG 1.8T's out there I know at least 5 cars with 1.8T's (mine included) that would leave them for dirt hell I even know a 1.9TDI that when fully loaded down with people can just pull away from them. And the whole point about the DV was its the instant way to recongise a muppet :).

Would a Starbo destroy a Evo 6? Well my 1.8T can pull away easy from them on track (I wouldn't say destroy) so I think you should reconsider your statement.... oh ya I passed a boxter as well but there as a reason for that (he was waiting for the other boxter on track) but hey everyone saw my little 1.8T car pass a boxter coming out of the last corner in Mondello and just pull away from him on the straight :cool:.

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Would a Starbo destroy a Evo 6? Well my 1.8T can pull away easy from them on track (I wouldn't say destroy)

I find this very difficult to believe. For a start, the Evo 6 was officially rated at 276 bhp, and most people in the know reckon it's nearer 300-310. The Autocar roadtest of the Evo 6 recorded a 0-60 time of 4.4s for the car unmodified, and a 0-100 time in the region of 11-12s.

I believe you stated elsewhere on this forum that your car had about 210bhp, and that it was a Seat Ibiza - a front wheel drive car with 210bhp hasn't a hope against a 4wd car with 300 unless it's about 400 kg lighter, which I doubt the Ibiza is.

I imagine the Evo 6 driver you pulled away from wasn't trying very hard somehow.

LOL 1.8 T beat an EVO 6 lol lol lol lol.
    FFs an Evo 6 is as quick as a ferrari 550.
    Someone said i stated a dislike for 1.8t Passat,
    Infact i said it was a beauty and yes a Starbo would leave it sitting at the lights but would be swallowed up after about 70mph.
    Power to weight ratio is the key but once the bigger engined Passat was up and moving power to weight is less important and any Gobsheen knows that.

BTW a 210 bhp Ibiza LOL.

For the record the fastest cars i drove is the Nissan Skyline GTR Vspec and Toyota Supra those things would leave the [beauty] Passat sitting using 1st gear only :)

an evo6 is quite possibly the fastest road car in the world from point to point, it accelerates off the mark as quick as any ferrari quarters in under 14 and has a top speed over 150mph
    it has over 280bhp stock and 280lb/ft of torque it would completely and utterly annihilate a passat from every conceivable speed and in every circumstance unless u were racin against a 1.3 with a body kit or some gsr1.8 effort
    to claim that a passat can beat one of the fastest road cars in production is fairly ludicrous

Right first off I never claimed the passat 1.8T could beat the Evo. Secondly Dcully haha nothing mine is 210BHP and I can point you to a 340BHP Ibiza in the UK.

Lads this was all done on track in Mondello on track is way different than straight line speed. There has been talks about this on other boards and it ended up proving it possible.

Right first off the Cupra is running 210BHP all through the front wheels. The Evo 6 while having a hell of a lot more BHP also has 4WD and a hell of a lot more weight. When the figures are done the Cupra has more power to weight than the Evo 6. Remember the Cupra is a hatchback based on the polo platform and is also the chassis that won SEAT the WRC 3 times!!!!

On the day on track I could out brake him, take the corners a bit better (sometimes :P), and pull away from him on the start/finish straight (was was even said to me by a good few ppl) and maybe I was pushing it a bit harder but I dont think I was. I was beating him on track for whatever reasons.

You can make your own minds up.

kayos

tested in evo magazine cupra r does 0-60 in 7.4seconds
    0-100 in 18.4 standin quarter in 16.1
    mitubishi evo6 does 0-60 in 4.6 0-100 in 11.5 and standin quarter in 13.5
    emmm no ****in chance in hell
    ill send u the evo mag if u want
    it places the cupra against the golf r32 the impreza standard wrx(not sti) mini cooper s and focus rs
    it says it belongs in the fast gruop with the mini and golf, but is well slower than the furious group(impreza,focus)
    and evo6 is far faster than a wrx impreza and a focus rs
    for the record the wrx does 0-60 in 6.1 and 100 in 15.6 and rs does 0-60 in 5.9 and 100 in 14.7
    the evo driver was obviously a pussy
    sorry but tellin like it is

one last thing the cupra dry weight is 1366 kilos
    the evo6 dry weight is 1340
    the evo is lighter and this is the slower gsr evo6
    its power to weight is far better
    top gear power to weight ratio
    99 evo 6 gsr 209bhp per tonne
    cura r 155 bhp per tonne
    when the figures are done :)

Kayos m8 , for starters i live 8 miles from Mondello and was there at the track day.Dont read anything into how well you think your car performed out there simply because most guys there look after their machine mainly cos they do not want to go off track.
    Im pretty sure the guy in the EVO wasnt pushing near as hard as you,trust me if he did hed swallow up your little Ibiza.
    People go to these events for the racing circuit experience and not to trash their cars .
    You never said your Ibiza was a Cupra hence my lol at 210bhp.
    Batmans stats should prove it all to you its plain and simple Your Ibiza has not got a chance on or off track against the EVO, your trying to tell me your front wheel drive car can corner better than a 4 wheel drive and pull away out of the corner ,like i said the other guy was not pushing it.

Right first off I dont care if think you got the figures out of Evo look again the Cupra is only 1119.

You can beleave what yea want lads....

Sorry Kayos,

MY best buddy have driven both an Ibiza Supra and have driven an Evo V.

They really dont compare. He red-lined the cupra as the guy didnt care for his motor but pushed the EVO-5 full-throttle only to 1.5kRPM below redline (didnt need more) and changed up.

Even at this the Evo is fair superior to the Cupra in every way and I do mean FAR.

Don't get me wrong....the Cupra is a little rocket and cheap, abit over-powered for the weight & brakes and doesnt setup or sit well in corners. Oversteer is a major problem he found. Front & rear top-mounted strut bars are highly recommended for the Cupra

Thing I find with the cupra is the horrendous amount of over-drama of squealing FWD on launch.

The EVO is excellent on cornering...ok you power-slide slightly on a tight apex, but can be overcome with some 4WD push.

Someone else mentioned Supra...
    If yer for off-the-lights performance, bring concrete blocks for the boot.

In summary I believe the EVO-boy wasn't trying nearly as hard as you...

J

• Advertisement
Advertisement