Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice or Experiences needed

Options
  • 14-03-2003 3:55pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick summary

Got rear-ended, damaged bumper, guy said he would pay not a problem, got guards to come, took all details.

Got a quote and forwarded it to the guy to repair the damage. Asked him to forward the payment to me so that I could get the damage repaired, if not I would put it through his insurance.

After 10 days no sign of cheque.

So what do I do ?

If I got through his insurance, what is the procedure.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Well, contact him again and tell him that you are not going to wait much longer and will go through his insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Did u get him to admit 'guilt' in front of the cops? If so - they have a record, and therefore you can claim off HIS insurance, but he cannot claim of YOURS...

That way you get a quote from garage, claim off his insurance company, get it fixed and it doesn't effect your no claims bonus (if you have one).

Very same thing happend to me, and the scumbag tried to avoid paying so I sicked his own insurance company on him, and they had to pay up and then screw his premium etc.

Serves 'em right. Tis one thing to be fair and decent, but quite another to be dumb about things. Take no chances, and take no prisoners..

my advice, for what its worth.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As the above, make it clear that you'll
    be willing to go to his insurance
    company looking for costs if he's not quick.

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks Lads

Will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

If you're rear ended isn't it the person who has ran into you at fault automatically? Or am I sorely mistaken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭jamesd

Originally posted by Dave
    If you're rear ended isn't it the person who has ran into you at fault automatically? Or am I sorely mistaken?

Most of the time but not always!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats how the courts view a rear-ender as a rule, Dave.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

If you have fully comprehensive insurance, you can go through your own insurance company. Then in turn they will claim from his company, giving you a hell of a lot less work.

Contact your insurance co. give them the details and have a word with a rep in the claims department.

I did this with Hibernian, after a lovely woman broke a erd light and wrote off my motorbike while I was still on it.. Ver considerate of her tbh.

Anyway, once your insurance co re-coup their costs from the other company, youre sorted, and the other fellas premium is loaded.

Be sure to give his details, and details of the Gardaí that attended the scene.

Advertisement