Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Broadband Switchoff in June

• 14-03-2003 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

It seems that the Chorus powernet product will be turned off in Mid June 2003 when Chorus lose their licence.

The document detailing why (massive non-compliance) is Here on the Comreg site. The explicit threat is on page 4. The consultation period is over. D Day was supposed to be the 28/02/03

Chorus are busy maintaining that the Limerick service makes them nationally compliant :D .

The man in the know is

Mr. Wille Fagan
    Regulatory Affairs Director
    Chorus
    Roxborough Road
    Limerick

Write to him for an explanation of where you stand in June......I hear that they may leave the system switched on after June but that they may not charge you for it .....which would make it the best Broadband deal in the country while Chorus and Commreg dingdong in the High Court. They may even get the licence back in Limerick in the next licencing round in the Autumn at which point you must start paying again.

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

dam them!!!!!!!!!it cost me enough to get it in and now they want to take it away.how could they provide it for free if they loose there lisence,i taught without a lisence they wouldnt be aloud to transmit??i will be taking them to the small claims cort if they cut me off , i was to recoop my instalation costs of 250 pounds, if not i will be selling the modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

welcome back to the real world :D

but seriously, id try my damdest to keep that service

baz

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

You say "powernet". Does that include cablenet broadband? I understand that they are two different services. I currently subscibe to the chorus cablenet broadband service in Clonmel. It doesnt even say on cablenet.ie that cablenet is available in Limerick. So am i gonna get cut off too or am i getting mixed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You'll be all right in cablenetland. Well-run service from all accounts - must be run by the people retained when Chorus bought up all the franchises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

as a matter of interest what kind of service do u have in clonmel, speed? ect, ping times and what not?

cheers

baz

• Advertisement

Well, i only come home and use it at weekends so i'm not 100% sure what it's like during the week.
    Anyway, it's described as "up to 512k Download speed / 128k Upload Speed". And no, you can never expect to go anywhere near that, just like every net connection setup. If you test your 56ker you will see that it never goes anywhere near that.
    As for speed tests at weekends, this is what i found:
    From www.bandwidthplace.com the download speed cable test shows something between 250k to 300k, the odd time being lower or higher.
    When i test from a speed test server in ireland related to the powernet service it shows up between 250 - 360k at weekends.
    But then again, how accurate are these tests?
    Playing Counter-Strike on the radox server, my ping jumps a bit sometimes but is normally 35-60 ish. There are alot of factors influencing this however if you know a bit about gaming. My ping on decent CS servers in England is about 60 roughly, sometimes a small bit lower, but it does jump a small bit regularly.
    As for the setup, all they did to my place was modified the existing chorus cable from the socket outwards and stuck it in the back of a thomson cable modem (some people get motorolla ones). Yes, it is broadband and doesnt disconnect, although i had a strange problem near the start which dissapeared since.
    The guy fixed up all the tv connections to make sure it would run smoothly.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has signed up for Esat, Eircom, any of the other local cable services or the same one so we can compare speeds on the same test sites, would be interesting.

what you have sounds like cablenet there cable modem offering, [did they put an antenna on your roof??]but that is not avalible in limerick, where are you from. This product is not affected AFAIK by this

Nope, simple enough installation. Cable modem was free. Installation 75 euros (Special offer)
    Fixed up the existing tv cable a bit and wolla. I'm in clonmel Co.Tipperary by the way.

Nope, simple enough installation. Cable modem was free. Installation 75 euros (Special offer)
    Fixed up the existing tv cable a bit and wolla. I'm in clonmel Co.Tipperary by the way.

thats cablenet you have its a different product/technology

I think we established that a few posts ago..

This has been dead and buried long ago but i haven't been here in some time.

Does anyone else still use Chorus Cablenet by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's people around boards that do, I can't remember who excatly though. Apparently chorus are begining to upgrade/repair more of their networks to offer cablenet to more people aswell, although I'll only believe that fully when I see it.

here here
    Alot of work to be done to catch up with what the telecomm companies are building upon around the country today.
    I'm still using it myself but its not in my current home so i can't assess its performance on a regular basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭ClonmelMan

Hi,
    I have Chorus cable and ESat DSL, the DSL is way better than the Chorus. Ping rates are better and download speeds are about 1/3 better as well.

Advertisement