Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anger

• 14-03-2003 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm begining to think there is something wrong with me lately.

Some one cant dislike my shoes without me attempting to bite their head off. I'm really depressed but then I'm always really depressed so I put no emphasis on that. I think I seem to be hating everyone and everything around me. I see such contempt for the environment, contempt for peoples own bodies, contempt for their friends.

So many things around me make me angry, I find it hard to take a casual "slagging" from a friend without wanting to rip his head off.

I'm afraid of I wont be responsible for my own actions before long. I always prided myself on my ability to control my tempter. My father and brother both have viscious tempers so I guess that whole
    "If a child lives with anger they will only learn to hate" or however it goes.

I dont like this feeling, I used to do some Tai Chai and I found that helped me out a lot but I just dont have the time anymore. Its run around doing this, run around doing that.

I feel so angry all the time, someone help me.

I feel better just getting it off my chest, but I dont think this feeling will last long.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Hey Angry- lets start with whats making you depressed. I have always found that if you're not happy with yourself or something thats happening in your life, then it translates itself into finding criticism with everything else and going around in a rage lots.

I know something about anger.... lots in fact. When I lose my temper I black out and cant remember what I have done in those few seconds so it's quite important for me not to lose it. Anyway, sorry, offtrack there for a second.

You started this thread with a reference to depression. Is it the angry feelings that cause the depression or something else altogether? A lot of the time when you realise the source of your depression and when you see beyond it, you also notice the symptoms of the anger starting. For me, as soon as I have identified what it is thats making me mad, it stops and I cease to be angry. It also applies to lots of other emotions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

how is your diet? Increased yeast or Beer lately? Same thing happened me a while back and that was the case..feel great now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

count to 5 before you think you are going to flip the lid. it will help you calm down some bit. it works for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I suffered from the exact same problems, except it was my mother & Sister with the vicious tempers,

I found that when i had to deal with family issues and other stress's that it happened, Anything i bottled up was potentially dangerous, I would flip and almost kill ppl for tiny things like breaking a guitar string.

I talked it out with ppl, find some1 u can talk to about problems with, they may get annoyed and bored of u, like some of my mates, but if they are friends, they will listen to u and give sound advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like you need some stress relief. Try getting some exercise, eat properly and take a break. Take a look at this http://www.vhihealthe.com/hfiles/hf-065.html
    Originally posted by Angry
    I'm afraid of I wont be responsible for my own actions before long.
    Short of being in a medically altered state (this does not include voluntary use of drink or drugs), you are always responsible for your actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

A friend of mine.. used to go for a walk or stick his head out the window when he was angry... to get fresh air to the head.. it worked .. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah, most people are sh!ts.
    the fresh air thing really works for me, try it, seriously

ferdi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

a mate of mine has a terrible temper so he made up a punching bag and pounded the crap out of that for a few hours:) try smashing a few things (not peoples faces, or the like) something useless. Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Ruu
    a mate of mine has a terrible temper so he made up a punching bag and pounded the crap out of that for a few hours:) try smashing a few things (not peoples faces, or the like) something useless. Hope it helps

I tried that once, lets just say its difficult to keep up when you beat the crap out of it three or four times a day.

I got so angry the other day, over some stupid programming shíte that I tried to break a chair with my fist.

I think I've swollen it a bit.

What I meant earlier by
    I'm really depressed but then I'm always really depressed so I put no emphasis on that

is just that I'm depressed but probably no more than anyone else. I've got problems but I try to deal with them like everyone else. Its just I always seem to be dishing out advice to MY friends and whenever I want to talk about something no one seems to care.

As for
    I'm afraid of I wont be responsible for my own actions before long.

Of course I would be "responsible" I simply mean I wouldnt be thinking straight enough to control myself. It was a get out clause or anything.

I find that "counting" while I'm getting pissed off only makes me angrier.

But its odd you know, I find that at some points I feel so absolutely and complete calm. Like anyone could say anything to me and I'd laugh it off, yet others I feel so furious that anything, literally anything will set me off. Its painful in a way to see people around me just look at me and realise I'm about to do something stupid/violent.

I dont know how to deal with this shít any more.

Angry, I think it's time you spoke to someone about this. I was in a car accident 2 years ago and developed severe anger issues to the point of thrashing (to the tune of €1,000) a guy's van because he was blocking the road.

Talking to someone will help, it won't magically solve anything but it may help you on your way. First off try talking to your GP. PM me if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff

Every now and then when my temper flares up I break stuff. Chairs, mirrors, doors, computers, desks, wind chimes, pictures etc.

I'm a lot calmer than I was I can tell you. But now and then I boil and let loose. Never ever ever on people though. I'm doing it less now cos I tell people what I think instead of bottling it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

There was a thread on After Hours about this a while back, "The Red Haze" or something, I think Monty started it.

Anyway, tempers are not your friends, just try and calm down and see the constructive side behind criticism, otherwise you'll lose a lot of friends incredibly quickly.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

:D

Do i know you Angry? You sound familiar... hehe

Anyway take up some Tai Chi or something..

When i was younger i was very angry sometimes.. i would shout a lot and such.. Now im calm, i rarely get angry.. well i never show it.. maybe in my mind i do a little but i never even think on actually acting on it. Its rare though.. at most ill think angry thoughts when driving since there are so many muppets on the roads. But mostly im calm and i actually never loose my cool. Im usually happy too!!

What happened? Why did i change?? Actually i found God and he got rid of my anger and ...... yeah right...

In fact thats not too far off the truth.. i did find God a few years back! Or so i thought but it had a calming effect on me... i dont believe it any more.. its a load of crap to me.. well any of the organised religions are... But thats not the point.. i found something to channel love and happiness.. you know POSITIVE thoughts and energy as opposed to NEGATIVE thoughts and energy.... so im not saying go find God.. in fact dont if you dont currently believe. Just find something else to bring out good positive thoughts... Try some Tai Chi, Yoga, Tai Bo or simply try relaxing... Do some research into Hypnosis.. its damn easy to do and leaves you very calm... its also cool when you hypnotise yourself and you realise hey its working and your arm is moving up because you are saying in your mind to do that.. but its numb and you cant control it unless you come ou of your hypnotic state. Eh forget the hypnosis but do find a way to relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Are you by any chance a single virgin?

For most angry young men this is usually a big part of the series of problems. Maybe look for a nice young girl to help keep you in check and chilled out.

If that doesn't work you could always have your testicles removed, it worked wonders for the labrador next door to me.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by Angry
    I'm depressed but probably no more than anyone else. I've got problems but I try to deal with them like everyone else. Its just I always seem to be dishing out advice to MY friends and whenever I want to talk about something no one seems to care.

Have you reconsidered who your friends are? How many of them are female? Women are great to talk to about problems as they have a tendency to pat you on the head and offer understanding breasts.........shoulders (ahem) to comfort you. I went through a phase of blackest depression and unbelievable violent tendencies (on inanimate objects only) and then I started to tell all and sundry what was going on in my head. I wasnt a moaner, I just went "what do you think of this................" to people so you get to present your problem but in a non-moany way. It did me wonders. You get seriously funny looks though from people in the queue in the jaxx when you turn around and say "If x,y & z happened, would you..........". Works though. You'd be surprised at how many engage in the conversation and it's always impartial advice. Just like the Boards here.

If you absolutely feel you have to break something, go to the bottle bank and as people come along, volunteer to chuck their bottles into the bin (but do it carefully).

My flatmate was none to impressed when I ethnicly cleansed the empty jam jars in the kitchen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i threw my stereo at my sister over the weekend, i hadn't slept in two days and as soon as I got into bed she came into my room and started bugging me about getting something out of the boot of the car for her, and she wouldn't leave.

so I just lifted my arm from the bed and threw the first thing I laid my hand on, i didn't look at where i was throwing it so I didn't hit her :P but the cdplayer is totalled.

don't smash anything valuable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

hello, i think i have anger issues also, but very mild ones compared to the experiences of some! during a phone argument with my bf, i ended up whacking the phone off the table until it broke to pieces... scary times!

mostly i get angry with myself for not being able to express myself properly. maybe explaining to your friends about your feelings of them not reciprocating your listening ear etc might help? maybe they think your so capable with their ****, that you must be able to sort yourself out. sometimes thats the case, ppl dont even know they're hurting you unless you let them know. all the same it sounds pretty selfish, so telling them would bring attention to that aswell, even if they didnt mean to hurt you.

counting to 5 is such a good idea, i do it all the time, and i concentrate on breathing. i would definetley consider talking to a counceller or someone. Aware have meetings everywhere and they're not just for ppl with depression : ) also i know John of Gods' in Stillorgan do Anger Managment group thingys....though i wouldnt trust that building as far as i could throw it.... but anyway, talk to someone who understands : ) gud luck!

mia xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

i think everyone has anger problems of some sort...some more severe than others. i mean aside from the amount of times ive nearly put my fist thru this monitor. my parents really work me up big time....its not usually big things but it just makes me nearly punch a sizeable hole in the wall. so i tend to just ignore them when im pissed off, grab me iPod and go for a nice long walk and clear the ol head with music and fresh air

Advertisement