Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What instrument would you outlaw?

• 14-03-2003 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

OK. You're king (or queen) for a day. You can outlaw one type of musical instrument. Which one would you ban from the face of the earth because of its crimes against aural humanity?

Inspired to post this because of watching the nostalgic 'Whistle Test Years' which was heavily country and western biased last night and reminded me how much I HATE the pedal steel guitar. Then there's that awful voice synthesiser thingy that Cher uses, not to mention (for those of a certain age) that God awful voice box thingummy jig that Peter Frampton briefly made popular in the 1970s. The man's going to hell for that.

Which instrument would you outlaw if you could? 28 votes

Accordion
    0% 0 votes
    Bagpipes
    10% 3 votes
    Banjo
    17% 5 votes
    Drum Machine
    10% 3 votes
    Pedal Steel Guitar
    28% 8 votes
    Spoons
    14% 4 votes
    Other
    17% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Definitly Pedal Steel Guitars.

Everyone is using it now coz they cant get those high notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Noseflute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The "squeaky door", a horrid instrument that is. Coming a close second is the "Crunchy shoe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

whats a pedal steel guitar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Man Pedel Steel can be incredible
    Check out Pink Floyds Dave Gilmore getting jiggy wid one all over meddle and dark side of the moon.

One fo these days Im gonna cut you into little pieces

Shame on you peeeps

Now Spoons, who the **** came up with that one????an excuse for your drunk middle aged uncle to 'jam' with the band late into the wedding night:mad:

Chers Voice thingy- Vocoder, actually and effex unit.Highly annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭fuse

I don't think its the instrument that should be outlawed, its the players of them that make them horrible!
    What the hell is a banjo doin there, in the right hands it can be the best dang foot-stompin instrument in the world!
    Really though, any instrument can be made sound good by certain people, so we should be banning the people playing them that ruin their sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I'd outlaw guitar, just for the hilarity and to see who could play music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Actually Cher wasn't using a Vocoder - it was "Autotune" a plugin used greatly by out of tune people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Recorder.

Stop them b*stards teaching us the useless sodding thing for years in primary school when its the most useless instrument the planet has seen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Drunk pirate
    Definitly Pedal Steel Guitars.

Everyone is using it now coz they cant get those high notes.

That makes no sense what so ever.

Pedal steels rules!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Then there's that awful voice synthesiser thingy that Cher uses, not to mention (for those of a certain age) that God awful voice box thingummy jig that Peter Frampton briefly made popular in the 1970s. The man's going to hell for that.

The Talk Boy (or similar) is also used by Ritchie Sambora, for the WoH WoH in Living on a prayer, and by Slash all of the time. Slash does the best job though, but it truly sucks when Pete uses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I thought the pedal steel guitar was that thing cher uses.

If not I don't know what is is...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by ferdi
    whats a pedal steel guitar?

It's basically the neck of a slide guitar, turned on its side in a desk-like arrangment and played by a seated performer. It's what makes that awful twangy sound on many country and western records.

Regarding Dave Gilmour and Dark Side of the Moon. I presume you're talking about Breathe. Are you sure that's a PSG? From memory, it could just as easily be a slide being used on an ordinary guitar.

He uses it on great gig in the sky, you can plainly see it on the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Regarding Dave Gilmour and Dark Side of the Moon. I presume you're talking about Breathe. Are you sure that's a PSG? From memory, it could just as easily be a slide being used on an ordinary guitar

Yes , I've seen him play the same tracks on Strat and PSD- On the live at Pompie Video he plays 'One of theses Days...' on Strat and in Delicate Sound of Thunder he plays it on PSG

By god that man has FEEL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Giblet
    He uses it on great gig in the sky, you can plainly see it on the video.

Video? From an album released in 1973? Shurely Shome Mishtake!!!

I really must get that album out of the attic and renew my acquaintance with it.

In the meantime, have a listen to the version of Great Gig in the Sky on this site http://www.easystar.com/dubsidemain.html and see if you can find any pedal steel guitar on it. I'm not convinced. :-)

Apologies if you think it heretical. I quite like it.

The video when it was released on pulse! That gets played all the time. And the little droning guitar slide thing is pedal steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

The one sound i cannot stand inn the whole of this world is that of the Banjo......*BIGGGGGG CRINGGGEEE***

Advertisement