Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching DivX on a DVD

• 14-03-2003 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

1. Can it be done on any model?
    2. Is it planned?
    3. if 1 or 2 are unavailable, how do i burn a divx to make it a vcd?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I use Nero to make VCD`s from Mpeg files and it works fine!
    It has an option to to make a VCD and you just drag the mpeg file into the new window it makes for you! It can do it with *.avi files as well but its not as easy. Nero has to convert them and it only works on one of my DVD players that way, and takes Nero an hour or so ! Which leads me to the fact that some of the VCD`s i have created only work on my Powerpoint DVD player and some only work on my Warfedale! And most work on both anyway! I dont know why this is I havent done that many to know....

None of these VCD`s work on a PS2! I keep getting asked that one! Very few of my VCD`s work on my father in Law`s Sony dvd player either! So if ya wana play VCD`s on a dvd player buy a cheap one as a rule! Both of mine were cheap... and multi region!

As for is there a DVD player that plays a divX directly I do not know if there is such a thing, though id say its only a matter of time before they do.... Here`s hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I found this handy guide.

http://www.geocities.com/edhq2k/guide4.htm

That software is soooo easy to turn a .avi to a .mpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I've been looking for a resonable DVD player that can handle a lot of formats for a while too, and have also found that the budget players seem to have more functionality. Not sure how the picture quality of DVD's compares to the known brands though.

As DVD players won't be around too long, as DVD recorders will replace them, I reckon a budget player makes more sense in the long run.

Originally posted by STaN
    I found this handy guide.

http://www.geocities.com/edhq2k/guide4.htm

That software is soooo easy to turn a .avi to a .mpeg

Its taking 3 hours to encode a 40min divx to a mpeg though on my athlon 2000+ XP :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

powerdvd has played anything I've thrown at it thus far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It is planned. In fact I think there are dvd players at the moment that can do it. don't know the make/models though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

www.scan.co.uk have had them for ages:

AFAIK the kiss was the first player (maybe still the only one) that plays divx

KiSS DVD Player DP-500 (DivX, 10/100 Ethernet, CD/Mp3, Progressive Scan, Photo Album)

Kiss Technology DP450DVD Player DIVX V4+/MPEG4/VCD/SVCD/MP3/DVD-RW - 179.00 (£)Ex. VAT

The DP-500 introduces a series of new features including playback of videos encoded in DivX versions 4 and 5, and a new Ethernet 10/100 connection. The Ethernet connection will soon be used for a range of new functions, including Internet radio and PC connectivity for music files, pictures and video material.

The KiSS DP-500, manufactured and designed in Scandinavia, was designed to provide consumers with the highest-quality picture and sound.

Progressive Scan
    KiSS DP-500 progressive scan DVD player, will provide you with the best quality ever, when watching a video. Progressive Scan creates a picture signal with double the scan lines of a conventional DVD, resulting in higher picture resolution and sharper image quality.

All it's missing is a hard drive, yummy or what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

grrr scan

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Alanm

Originally posted by Blade

All it's missing is a hard drive, yummy or what!

http://www.1-877camcorder.com/dp600.html :)

Originally posted by Blade
    www.scan.co.uk have had them for ages:

AFAIK the kiss was the first player (maybe still the only one) that plays divx

KiSS DVD Player DP-500 (DivX, 10/100 Ethernet, CD/Mp3, Progressive Scan, Photo Album)

Kiss Technology DP450DVD Player DIVX V4+/MPEG4/VCD/SVCD/MP3/DVD-RW - 179.00 (£)Ex. VAT

Very very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

TV-out card, some quiet fans, a bit of ingenuity = near-silent (quieter then PS2/XBox) PC for viewing stuff on the telly.

Originally posted by SyxPak
    TV-out card, some quiet fans, a bit of ingenuity = near-silent (quieter then PS2/XBox) PC for viewing stuff on the telly.

My gf4 has an svideo connector. I run a cable to the tv, cycle through the port input channels. I can hear sound but no picture :/

Duno whats wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by Alanm
    http://www.1-877camcorder.com/dp600.html :)

Ahh good man! So they brought out a new model 600. It wasn't on scans page.

Actually what I was more so thinking about the HD was so as to be able to record from TV like other HD recorders which should replace our video recorders soon enough. It doesn't mention that but I don't see why it shouldn't be able to do it? Maybe theres something there in the specs, I don't fully understand all that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by STaN
    My gf4 has an svideo connector. I run a cable to the tv, cycle through the port input channels. I can hear sound but no picture :/

Duno whats wrong.

Usually you have to configure things so the signal goes out through the s-video instead of out the monitor port. Try going in to the advanced section of your display properties. (My laptop has a function button for doing this, but I'm assuming you have a desktop). If you get black+white picture make sure you have PAL output selected and you are using the correct AV channel.

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Usually you have to configure things so the signal goes out through the s-video instead of out the monitor port. Try going in to the advanced section of your display properties. (My laptop has a function button for doing this, but I'm assuming you have a desktop). If you get black+white picture make sure you have PAL output selected and you are using the correct AV channel.

Ok found the setting. There is a button to detect displays. Analogue Monitor/TV/Digital Monitor

TV option isnt coming up. Will try mess around with it.

Advertisement