Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not getting paid at work

• 14-03-2003 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

i was wondering if ,i was getting paid monthly and they [the employer] missed a pay packet and then said that they could not pay me till the next week [the following friday] or mabey even the next pay date another month away.that would mean i would be without money for a week or even a month What could i do about this??is it breach of contract??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

If you are in a union get on to your Union Rep.

If they did miss your pay packet they should at least give you some money from there own pocket till they can get it Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

pay day is pay day

they have to pay u even fro their own pocket, its THEIR problem that your wages got missed, they are obliged to sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're on a salary, then just 'missing' a month's pay is not on.

I would think that if they don't pay you (as per your contract) then your employer is liable for all cost/losses you incur as a result of them not paying you - i.e. Any purchases you're forced to make on credit, or if you lost out on a holiday due to having no cash, etc.

Check your contract. If it says "you will be paid X amount on the xth Thursday of every month", then your employer is in breach of contract, and it's up to them to pay you by any means available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Time to start looking for a new employer. This is a serious warning sign that things are not good - if they can't manage their business to have the cash to pay the wages, they are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Hi -

A friend of mine had found himself in a similar situation.
    I advised him to check out http://www.lrc.ie/ - they are the labour relations people on Haddington Road.
    They'll advise you what to do.
    In my friend's case they set up a meeting for him, the employer and a mediator from their organisation.
    What actually happened was on the morning of the meeting the boss cracked and paid him all the money he was due.

I would look for another job now though - in this case the company went under about 6 weeks later. The previous poster was correct - if they haven't go the dough to make payroll, it doesn't bode terribly well for the future of the company.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

depending on what caused the late payment.
    was there trouble withthe bank etc?
    i have had payments late before becuase AIB made a balls up of all the payments from the company i worked with at the time.
    i have also worked somewhere where the company made a bugger up, and they are obliged to pay any fees due to late payment etc.
    of course, if youa re not getting paid because they havent got the money, you either want to know what is happening, and understand why you arent getting your money, however this approach only works if its astart up company and you are in a t a high level :)
    or you get the flock out of dodge.
    seriously. if the company is unable to pay you now, then with cutbacks and money saving initiatives, you can pretty much reckon that you name will be on the chop list fairly soon anyway.
    get yourself another job.

of course, if they are just withholding the money, id see a solicitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

the company i work for isnt going to fold they just messed up my wages, this happens often [but its the first time they did it to me] all the wages are calculated in england so its hard to find the person responcelbe

its all ok again i got paid the other day :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by irishguy
    its all ok again i got paid the other day :D

then you'll be coming to the boards pissup tomorrow night to buy us all a drink?? :D:D

i hope you dont mean alcohol i am totaly against that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by irishguy
    the company i work for isnt going to fold they just messed up my wages, this happens often [but its the first time they did it to me] all the wages are calculated in england so its hard to find the person responcelbe

its not a person that is responsible, its the company.
    you provide a service, you have a contract, and they are suppose to pay you.
    if you didnt pay the bank money you owe them, they will charge you, and ultimately sue you.
    if your company doesnt pay you, then they are breaking their contract with you.
    if there is aporblem in payroll, then thats their problem, not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    If you're on a salary, then just 'missing' a month's pay is not on.
    Yeah, there are rules against being owed more than 5(?) weeks pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

The last place I was in had problems nearly every payday. The blame was often attributed to whoever totted up the hours in the local branch, to Head Office in the UK, to Carapay, to the employees' bank/building sociecty. People sometimes got paid on the Monday/Tuesday later instead of Friday.

As people have said, they've agreed a contract to pay you X on X. You're at the very least entitled to know why you weren't paid.

I think it really affects peoples' motivation when they're waiting for wages which don't arrive.

It is what it's.

Advertisement