Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Hostnames

Options
  • 15-03-2003 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

Hilarious. If you're a residential customer on Esat's Business DSL service and value your privacy, you might want to make sure you're not leaving your name splashed all over logs.

Look up your hostname here
    http://www.ipmonster.com/tools/hostname.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

But....they don't appear to have reverse DNS set up, i've used the esat business DSL in two places and it never came up with a hostname, only an IP.

Anyway, hostnames on DSL is NOTHING unique. In fact, friends in Canada with DSL and cable, their providers broadcast their hostname rather than IP....so surely what Esat are doing is a *good* thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You're not getting the point

Try addresses around 193.120.102.200 and up in the ipmonster lookup I posted.

There's nothing wrong with having a hostname, the issue is that for quite a few residential customers on the "business"service their hostname is of a form firstnamelastname-adsl.adsl.esat.net

- and this is what will appear in the weblogs of sites you visit. Who needs cookies when I can get your name.

Originally posted by hmmm

There's nothing wrong with having a hostname, the issue is that for quite a few residential customers on the "business"service their hostname is of a form firstnamelastname-adsl.adsl.esat.net

- and this is what will appear in the weblogs of sites you visit. Who needs cookies when I can get your name.

Well i'm sure most people wouldn't really be all that bothered, but you should be able to have your hostname changed easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

they have this in the uk as well, where Nildram have ip's where u can specify what u want to put in there, so if u have a nickname u can have...

name@nickname.gotadsl.co.uk

use ipmonster to check this ip and u can see 213.208.111.126

baz

I would totally abuse that. Offensive hostnames, excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement