Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC re-booting without reason/warning

Options
  • 15-03-2003 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Its just done it twice. I shut down properly, booted from cold and its okay so far...I check the hardware end of things, seems okay. CPU and memory fine. So have I got a
    bug/virus/trojan on my system?

Any ideas?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

have you checked the wiring of ur reset/power on buttons?
    could be something dodgy at that end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah, I looked at that. The PSU is not very old (less than a year) and the PC itself is never moved about the place
    so loose wiring was unlikely...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Any new hardware?

Actrually any new detonator drivers?
    Last set were doing something similiar to my PC at random times.

Scan for Virus and run adaware to make sure PC is clean.
    What OS you got ??
    Some OS have Event Viewer and let you see why it rebooted.

kdjac

Have PC running 3/4 hours so far today, did a scan for trojans/bots
    and some spring cleaning, no probs.

I run Win98SE. I hav'nt added any hardware, all seems calm. Hard to know what caused two reboots when it starts behaving itself the following day...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Some motherboards have an autoreboot of it thinks its getting to hot.

With no hardware new or not installed right and no error to speak off either you hit off the power twice or there is something not tight with the motherboard.

Wasnt any power outages?

kdjac

• Advertisement

No the power was fine I thought of that the first time but realised the lights had'nt even dimmed never mind gone out...I'll open up the case latter and just check the fixtures and fittings again...and yes I checked the plug at both ends of the lead!

Advertisement