Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead Tickets On Sale!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

by playing smaller venue the demand for tickets outweighs supply. This will thens give very good press coverage about the band now and closer to the gig.

This media coverage will help them promote their album. So theres the answer to someones question about how a small club tour helps promote a album. Its a common technique that U2 has used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by Unknown
    I agree with you eth0_, a true fan would have had enough time to get tickets,

oh go on. define true fan!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

WTF do you mean "a true fan would have had enough time to get tickets"!?

I've internet access at work only, and the announcement was on the St. Patrick's weekend, for frigg's sake.

Every day for the past *month*, I checked GreenPlastic, WASTE and my emails for news of a Dublin gig as soon as I arrived at work.

The timing of the announcement was unfortunate, nothing more.

And I would consider myself a true fan. I've b-sides ye've never heard of... :mad:

Congratulations to those of you that managed to get tickets, but sh1tes like etho don't have to rub our noses in it

By the way:by all that's holy...

Epitaph
    There's worse things that can happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

Something strange about that ebay auction of tickets for Sunday, which is now up over £1,000 sterling. There are two auctions ending tomorrow: the one that's at £1,020 for 2 tickets and has 27 bids on it and another one ending 5 hours later that is at £200 and has 1 bid on it.

I wonder if someone at WASTE is jacking up the price on the first auction.... Maybe I'm just paranoid.

• Advertisement

And an awful lot of the bidders have signed on to ebay in the last 30 days and have 0 feedback points. . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Off on a slight tangent here, but Radiohead have just announced the name of their new album. Its called "Hail To The Thief".

As fans already know, its out on June 9th, and alot of the new material was played recently in Spain and Portugal. I've got 3 or 4 of those concerts bootlegged, so I must dig them up again! :)

They've also just announced that they're headlining in Glastonbury (Saturday).

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

That auction has to be fixed. Check out the bid history:

mbradley123(0) - Mar-24-03 03:57:21 PST
    inabunker(0) - Mar-20-03 16:11:46 PST
    folini4eva(5) - Mar-21-03 06:52:05 PST
    folini4eva(5) - Mar-21-03 06:50:41 PST
    folini4eva(5) - Mar-21-03 06:50:24 PST
    folini4eva(5) - Mar-21-03 06:50:01 PST
    folini4eva(5) - Mar-19-03 10:25:27 PST
    niall_mcd(0) - Mar-19-03 06:32:55 PST
    yellowsturner(0) - Mar-19-03 03:06:18 PST
    niall_mcd(0) - Mar-19-03 06:32:33 PST
    niall_mcd(0) - Mar-19-03 06:32:03 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 05:37:28 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 04:06:03 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 04:05:41 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 03:16:35 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 03:15:58 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 03:15:40 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 03:15:17 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 03:14:57 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 02:20:51 PST
    yellow_dormer(0) - Mar-19-03 02:13:55 PST
    ccorleone(0) - Mar-19-03 01:41:06 PST
    yellow_dormer(0) - Mar-19-03 02:13:06 PST
    yellow_dormer(0) - Mar-19-03 02:11:23 PST
    yellow_dormer(0) - Mar-19-03 02:10:20 PST
    yellow_dormer(0) - Mar-19-03 02:08:28 PST
    si200(4)

You have 4 people who outbid themselves to jack up the price. On top of that, one of the names is Niall_MCD which i would guess to be none other than Niall Mucklian(sp) from MCD (promoters of the Olympia amongst many other venues)

Very dodgy auction.

Originally posted by Eoin Macollamh
    Something strange about that ebay auction of tickets for Sunday, which is now up over £1,000 sterling. There are two auctions ending tomorrow: the one that's at £1,020 for 2 tickets and has 27 bids on it and another one ending 5 hours later that is at £200 and has 1 bid on it.

I wonder if someone at WASTE is jacking up the price on the first auction.... Maybe I'm just paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

oh go on. define true fan!!!!

In an earlier post, I included "true" with the word "fans" because I was comparing them with scalpers who buy tickets with the only notion of selling them. Seems like people like yourself and eth0_ has taken this "true fans" thing so seriously. So listen - drop "true". "Fans" leaves assumptions and theories behind.

WTF do you mean "a true fan would have had enough time to get tickets"!?

If you read my earlier post, I did stress that there are most definetly more Radiohead fans than the 3,200 who managed to purchase tickets, so take that into consideration.

There was five days in which tickets could have been bought (including Belfast), which is not nessessarily a short time to get online. However, I do agree that St. Patricks Weekend and the fact that people with limited internet access may have lead to not being able to purchase tickets, yet I did not mention these circumstances because I do not analyse everyone's situation. Take those episodes out of the equation and for *most* fans, being able to get tickets would not have been a problem.

By the way, heres a link for information on Radiohead's new record (from Billboard): Radiohead says 'Hail to the Theif'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Get down off the high horses and come down from the high moral ground. Ever hear of supply and demand. I was one of the lucky people to get a ticket. I didn't buy extra but I’ve no problem with those who did. Why should their sales on ebay be blocked? If someone is willing to pay big money, let them. OK so a lot of big radiohead fans don't get to the concert but they weren't going to get there anyway, they would have had to play the olympia for 21 nights for that to happen. MCD are no better than touts. If they could have had there hands on this they would have probably charged €100 or more. For example the recent Neil Young concert in a small venue, they said wait a minute heres someone everyone wants to see, lets rip them off if they are willing to pay the price. So whats so different between someone on ebay and concert promoters in general. I say good luck to someone who was sharp enough to buy extra tickets, the concert promoters don't show mercy so why should the touts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

MCD are no better than touts. If they could have had there hands on this they would have probably charged €100 or more. For example the recent Neil Young concert in a small venue, they said wait a minute heres someone everyone wants to see, lets rip them off if they are willing to pay the price. So whats so different between someone on ebay and concert promoters in general. I say good luck to someone who was sharp enough to buy extra tickets, the concert promoters don't show mercy so why should the touts.

Small point, MCD didnt promote Neil Young, it was Aiken Promotions.
    As regards why should the tickets be blocked on Ebay, it isnt just moral reasons. Anyone reselling their tickets will be violating the terms and conditions that you agree to when purchasing.
    Personally, i would never buy tickets with the sole purpose of selling them on although i have been in the position to do just that on many occasions.
    Is this touting problem getting worse that it was a few years ago now that anyone can sell tickets for ridiculous amounts of money through the internet? It would seem to me that it is and is an issue that really needs to be looked at closely by ticketmaster and the major promoters. Tickets are almost becoming a currency with people buying purely for the reason for selling for profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Unknown

The three Neil Young shows are organised by Aiken Promotions - not MCD. Guess you could say Aiken are touts aswell? Its your opinion, yet I think €105 is fair considering the small size of the venue (he is playing much larger shows on his European tour, where prices go more or less over what Aiken is offering.)

I'm interested in why you think the artists and the promoters and the venue (and ticketbastard) should be the only ones to profit from the sale of tickets.

Relatedly, I'm also interested in why people think it is somehow immoral to resell tickets at a higher price. I mean, there are lots of products that I would like to have that I cannot afford. But only when it comes to tickets do people tend to think the pricing of touts is inherently immoral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

the olympia... how fùckin ****...

a band of radiohead standing shoulda got a far bigger place...

REALLY WANNA GO SEE THIS FOR CHRIST SAKE!!

why did someone only bring this thread to my attention now?!

gonna have to put the gigs/events forum on my subbed list i think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

According to nme.com they're going to do a stadium tour in the autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by mbroaders
    That auction has to be fixed. Check out the bid history...

You have 4 people who outbid themselves to jack up the price. On top of that, one of the names is Niall_MCD which i would guess to be none other than Niall Mucklian(sp) from MCD (promoters of the Olympia amongst many other venues)

Very dodgy auction.

Happens all the time on ebay, and its a result of the "proxy bid" facility. Basically, you put in how much you are prepared to bid...say 150 Euro. Now the previous high bidder may have put in 100. You are now high bidder, with a bid of 100+one increment(usually 2.50). With me?

Subsequent bidders put in their amount, if it is less than your 150, then you are still the winner, but with a new high bid total.

That explains the multiple bids by one person which apparantly outbid themselves.

Advertisement