Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KerryPages.com

Options
  • 15-03-2003 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Finally I've about 98% completed the website. Its a transition year "mini company" but because of the amount of work put into it we have registered it as a real company.

Basically I want feedback on the design, programming etc. The site has a control panel behind the site to make it easier to ad/edit/delete ads/news and categories. Its totally database drivin and took me about 2 months to complete.

The site was created by me, one of the transition year students. I've learned a lot from it. I'm thinking of setting up a new company myself for web development.

So what ye think of kerrypages then. Just would love to see some feedback coming back after all the work put into it :)

BTW no companys or any pros or anyone at all were involved in the developments of the site.

Here it is: http://www.kerrypages.com

Thanks

Donal :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Nice site, keep up the good work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Transition Year!?! **** sake. *nudge* DeV - this guy is good - bookmark him.

It's good. Damn good.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

thank you very much :D

btw who is dev :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HappyDude

Hi Donal -

nice site - hope the project goes well for you. Two things you may want to think about - the size of some of the images - affecting download times, and the links - "profile, terms, contact" - the blue text on blue background is not the easiest to read.

With regards the images - especially on the sign-up page, try saving them as GIF format, and using an optimization program - eg. Adobe Imageready. The three images are over 100k in total - and really slows down page load speed.

These are easily fixed, though. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

btw who is dev

Apparently, DeVoreIsGay, but I haven't confirmed this personally.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Nice site. What are you running it off? PHP/ASP/JSP?

Seems your running the entire thing off one script which is the index one.

Thanks....well Run by PHP/MySQL. Yeah i decided to run the whole site off one page as it will make life so much easier when updating just one page.

So do ye think it has a chance of winning the transition year tradefair coming up next wednesday. Only a small one in Tralee Co. Kerry but i think if we win it there there is one held in dublin and we going there then.

The site might have a few bugs on it, fixible but at the moment i don't really have time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It's a LAMP set up.

Nice site. However, parse user input for malicious code as it is currently open to abuse.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    It's a LAMP set up.

Nice site. However, parse user input for malicious code as it is currently open to abuse.

Hey there, thanx.....can you explain more please :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Nice site, you've got a lot of potential.

A few things you could look into:

#1 The design is a fixed width. And people on low-res won't be able to view it.
    #2 You've used some CSS I see, but you've also used the font tag. The font tag is pretty bad practice, it makes you're pages take longer to load and it makes it harder for you to update templates. More use of CSS would be encouraged.
    #3 Validate your HTML
    #4 Keep learning & good luck!

- Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey there,

Thanks for the comments. I used the font tag before I achually brought CSS into it. I will take them away once i get time. Thanks once again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

The design is not to my taste but the whole dbase setup is very impressive for a school project. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A quick note on the CSS, you may be better off linking the css into the page

So if you build on newer pages you can link in the css, and have a central single file to edit for all pages, anyway Dreamweaver has the option to link in the file.

Site seems fine, a little more efficiency on colours and images would pay off, nothing major just you could use text links or better contstucted images as some of the buttons.

Advertisement