Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discworld

Options
  • 16-03-2003 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

So what is everybodies faveourite books in the Discworld series?

mines would be :

Equal Rites
    The Colour Of Magic
    The Last Continent
    Guards! Guards!

what are yours?

And Faveourite charcters?
    mines are:
    Rincewind
    Granny Weatherwax

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I actually dislike rincewind intensely.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Small Gods

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Funnily enough I also hate Rincewind with a passion.

Also funnily enough my favourite is Small Gods which is a truly wonderful book.

Man I'm so common.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Guards Guards,
    Small Gods
    Maurice and his Amazing Rodents - latest one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Night Watch and any of the 'Who Dunnit' Watch books really (Anyone else find Pratchett to be rather good at these? Though he did wander off a bit on that one with the Gonne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I don't mind Rincewind too much, and Small Gods is one of his more intelligent books,

I do prefer the Vimes books though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

my favourites 'd be Colour of Magic and Eric

characters , i suppose Commander Vimes and Captain Carrot or maybe the Patrician(even for what little hes in the books)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Eric and the Reaper Man would be well up there.

Favourite characters ATM are Nobby Nobbs and the Patrician.

hese can change though, Jingo I think is the one I've read the most times, must be about 7 or 8 now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

I would have to agree Small Gods is a great book. Also, im a fan of Thief of time and all the Granny Weatherwax/Nanny Ogg books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

After reading all but the most recent release, I am of the opinion that the Discworld novels are crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

Why do u say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

He is being childish anyone who can read would love Terrys books.

My fav character would have to Death, for so many reasons, how he tries to understand the inner workings of humans and how HE SPEAKS :D therefore Hogswatch Night and Interesting Times are my nominated fav books. All the books with the wizards and Death in it are hilarious, Rincewind is brill! :eek: how could you say he's annoying!

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    He is being childish anyone who can read would love Terrys books.
    If you don't have my opinion, you're childish.

That's not very smart.

You wouldn't care to elaborate a bit on that opinion of yours ?

Opinions are fine, opinions without a basis are "not very smart".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Justhalf, stop stirring. You dont post a "thats crap" comment without a decent reason, or at least some reason.

OfflerCrocGod, I can read and I have to say I do not like the discworld novels. I did like colour of magic but once I hit strata they just weren't funny anymore. Never found them funny again, probably because I saw a few interviews with the author and I really really really dont like him. Sort of tainted the books.

I wasn't trying to stir, just state the fact that I had a certain opinion.

Must I justify my opinion that lasagne is the greatest of foods?

Anyway, the books are really not funny... as you read there are no great surprises, and I get a feeling while reading that I am being told "this happened, then that happened" more than being told a story.

no you dont have to justify your opinion that lasagne is the best food.. because we are not discussing food so your love of lasagne is irrelevant here. What is relevant however, is that you posted to a thread that is about terry pratchett books and is aimed at people who like terry pratchett books.

As has been said before, no posting "thats crap" replies. Give a reason that can be agreed or disagreed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Anything to do with the Guards, Death, or the Patrician I like. The rest of them I could take or leave. I think he tries to be too clever with some of the books and the're not as funny. IMO.

Some people just don't get them though, in the same why that some people love slap stick and some dry humour. Though some people have no sense of humour at all.

Posting "something is crap" is just dumb. Sure you can post I don't like lasagne but not in the "Lasagne lovers of the world unite" forum. Personally I like lasagne too. Is there a "I don't like books" thread you can post in instead? I dunno its the TV MTV/generation all over.

Originally posted by LoLth
    I did like colour of magic but once I hit strata they just weren't funny anymore.

FYI Strata was not a discworld book Lolth.

Thanks,

M

ah but strata was set on discworld :) or at least a version of discworld. Was it stand alone or part of a series?

• Advertisement

As far as I know it was a one off. I didn't think it was on discworld. Years since I read it. Wasn't it more a SCFI book?

yeah it was sci-fi. The world they landed on was disc shaped (and I think had the elephants and tortoise, but I'm not sure), all the demons, death, magic etc was all controlled by machinery. Basically a really bad book that ruined the discworld feel that had been built up with the colour of magic etc.

as far as it being a discworld book :

The latest Pratchett audio book from Isis diverts from Discworld, as Strata is one of two "true" sci-fi books that Terry has written.
    Kin Arad works for The Company. The Company builds planets. But when Kin discovers a flat earth, where dragons, and demons, fly over Germany- the galaxy is under threat from the truth about itself.

Strata was an early exploration of a flat world that later became Discworld, and the styles of story differ greatly from some of the most recent Discworld books like The Thief of Time, and The Truth. It contains glimpses of the future direction of Terry's writing.

so it is and it isn't really.

Its kinda written in a different style if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Pratchett eh.......... shouldn't this thread be in Sci/Fi fantasy?

besides that,
    Moving Pictures or Soul Music are the two i reccomend to people to read first as they're the most instantly accessible IMO,
    As for favourites, I'd say any of the guards books, he went through a bad patch recently but the last few have been improving.

favourite character, Wee Mad Arthur

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i thought the last book.. night watch was it? was pretty excellent, but it wasn't very funny...

it didn't seem like a comedy at all, more like a decent attempt at actually story telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

o yeh OfflerCrocGod, its called Hogfather. just sayin mate :)

i find his books very funny, but mebbe thats just me....as most of younse think otherwise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

heh, i think most of his books (bar maybe the last 4-5) are hilarious, I've been on busses around Ireland before reading and re-reading one page of a book trying not to burst into a fit of laughter many a time :)

with most of his earlier books I have read em so many times I can just si down, pick one at random and open at any page at all, and still be sure of a damned great read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

mmmm, mordeth....
    finally! someone who finds him as crotchgrabbingly excellent as me!
    NONE of my friends in my class read him....philistines....

Advertisement