Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Model Audi A3?

Options
  • 16-03-2003 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

I'll be finished paying for my 1.6 1998 Audi A3 in August and had decided that I wasn't going to trade-in for a few more years. I just heard about the new model coming in June and damn it looks tasty! I'm really tempted. So am I being silly? Should I enjoy the €400 a month I'll be saving when the repayments are finished and be satisfied that I have a decent 5 yo car and run it into the ground.
    OR---- with the trade in of my current A3 enjoy a €200 a month saving on a brand new A3?

I also just found out theres a new model golf coming in September. Jesus, it seems like only yesterday that the mark IV came out. At the other extreme is the A3 which is 8 years old!! 1996-2003. How many other models still look as fresh after 8 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

in my opinion, you got two choices here...

1) save some money and own a decent motor...

2) save some money and own a brand new motor.

if you keep your old car, you'll only be saving an extra €200 pm
    than if you got the new one. and when you eventually get round
    to selling it, you'll get damn all for it and have to fork out more for
    a new one. so is it worth it?

if you get the newer model, you're still saving €200, and you got
    a new motor. why not even keep your repayments at €400 and
    pay it off quicker. it wouldn't be a huge adjustment if you were
    already paying €400.

both choices are good ones, but at the end of the day its a
    personal choice of either how much you want a new car, or how
    bad you wanna save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Well, the way I see it, you're better off waiting for 6-12 months before buying a new model A3 - wait til the early production gremlins are ironed out.

Or if you want to buy a car that's actually fun to drive, go for a Ford Focus. The A3 was never particularly fun to drive, and looks decidedly plain beside the Focus, and the new one doesn't look much better.

Alternatively, if you want to stick to a prestige marque, you could look around for a BMW 3-series compact, or a Mercedes C-class Sport Coupe - both are very highly rated as driver's cars, and the Merc looks really pretty too.

Advertisement