Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting in modifying genesis roms

• 16-03-2003 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of compilers/decompilers to help me do this.

Any other info is appreciated too. For example, what language can I expect to be programming in, assembley or C etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Not a flucking clue tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I assume they be compiled in the format the genesis used to run them so decompiling would be extremley difficult without some source.

tho if you know a lot of C+ you could feck about with in textpad.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Well, the compiled program(typically about 2 megabytes) exists as machine code, so I would have to decompile before I could do anything, regardless of language.

I think the language will ultimately depend on the compiler. So really, what I need is both compiler/decompiler :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

http://wakdhacks.lfx.org/docs/docs.html

most of that stuff is for people doing text dumps/reinsertion but many of the principles would hold for other types of work.

also if its for genesis games i suggest learning motorola 68000 assembly and lots of it.

http://www.eidolons-inn.de/sega/gen_dev.html

more info than you could shake a very large stick at and its nice and technical to.

a copy of ida pro would be the most useful thing you could lay your hands on.

Brilliant, I actually have a copy of Microprocessor Systems Design with the 68000 (HW, SW and interfacing).

Expect another post in about a year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

As a matter of interest, what do you play on doing?

I want to try and modify roadrash3 graphics slightly. Or whatever I can manage.

Compiled code doesnt contain any comments, so the decompiled code will be the same. It might be impossible, but I'll probably make a hobby of it over the summer.

Advertisement