Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is this worth...

• 16-03-2003 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

i am selling a second hand pc to a small home business ,i will be used for keeping track of the business and by the kids for games and Internet access.So how much do u think i should be chargeing??

750mhz AMD Athlon
    128mb PC100
    32mb Geforce TNT 2
    20gig 7200rpm WD
    X 8DVD drive
    1.44mb floppy drive
    17" gateway EV700 moniter
    56k modem
    MIdi tower case with 250watt PSU
    Creative sound blaster live
    Intel Mouse
    Keybored
    + Instalation and configuration

and i might put in a cdrw as extra

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

no more than a couple of hundred....but you could rip them off for a few more if you want to be real mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

well i was thinking €600 , this is a very good pc that has along time left in it. Also instalation and configuration alone is worth €100 [because i will have to show them how to use it etc] also it will have Win 2k,Office 200 premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Well it depends on who you sell it to, a knowitall or and knownothing type of person.

750mhz AMD Athlon - a bit slow but still capable of functioning €30
    128mb PC100 - small €10
    32mb Geforce TNT 2 - ancient €20
    20gig 7200rpm WD - cramped €40
    X 8DVD drive - ok €40
    1.44mb floppy drive €10
    17" gateway EV700 moniter €95
    56k modem €20
    MIdi tower case with 250watt PSU €70
    Creative sound blaster live - ok €30
    Intel Mouse - €10
    Keybored - €15
    + Instalation and configuration - means nothing (to boards.ie crew) €0
    software €0

Grand total €390

Yes you're emotionally attached to your computer and you think it's worth more than this, who doesn't think that. You could easily get more for it but I think that's the market value on the goods for anyone around boards. And if you're selling to a home business you can and should get more for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

€600??

i bought a comp of here a couple of months back for €600

1800xp
    40gig 7200rpm
    dvd drive
    1.44mb floppy drive €10
    768mb ram
    GeForce4MX
    etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Have a look in the buy and sell, you can pick up a brand new machine with the same spec as this but with a much faster CPU, with a better graphics card for 350-450. Thats brand new with a warranty, including a legal copy of windows. (not that yours isn't or anything). As for the software Win2k, Office 200 premium would cost about what, 350-500 new? So are you throwing in the PC for free or something?

In short an older machine is worth very little these days, unless you find a mug who doesn't shop around and knows squat about PC prices. personally I'd sell the software seperately from the PC as you'd make more that way. Oh and stick it in the Buy and Sell because you'll get nothing for it on these boards. To many sharks on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i am not selling it on the boards or not to a computer savy person so i am not looking for a price to sell it on the boards at.
    CivilServant,
    my prices are going as follows:
    750mhz AMD Athlon - €40
    its as fast as you need to run any application
    128mb PC100 - €20
    its as mush as you need to run win 2k
    32mb Geforce TNT 2 - €30
    its only needed 4 busines use and light gaming which it is fine for
    20gig 7200rpm WD - €50
    more than ampel for there needs a 10gig drived would be fine
    X 8DVD drive - €40
    1.44mb floppy drive €10
    17" gateway EV700 moniter €100
    56k modem €20
    MIdi tower case with 250watt PSU €70
    Creative sound blaster live - €30
    Intel Mouse - €10
    Keybored - €15
    + Instalation configuration and delivery this is been done on request which is worth €100

your prices would be fine if i was just selling parts to someone i am not its a whole pc which has to be built and all the software has to be put on it.btw there is also a motherboard included €50 and all the bits and bobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

i say sell it for 600 if they are willing to pay that, if they are happy with what they get then so what !!
    Alright they could get better price if they were to buy the parts seperately and assemble it themselves but as you said its ample for their needs. If it was me id sell it for 700 euro if i could get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well obviously sell it for as much you can get for it, we can only tell you what its worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

irishguy,

Now there's the dilemma. You posted this thread to your peers on boards asking what we think it is worth. I'd say €400 is fair. Mind, this is if you'd sell it to one of us. But you are not.

You are selling to non-boarders and you will have to get the rig ready. You'll need to install the OS + other software and you will probably have to install it in situ and provide support (without charge) if something goes wrong. Also a bit of training is involved. Presuming you do not provide them with a legal license for the software (which is dodgy, to say the least, given it will be used in a business environment), I would say charge €600 - €700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'd say a max e600 with the included licenses.
    Personally I'd never sell a PC without them.
    Either way don't make false claims about the PCs ability, otherwise two months down the road, you'll be getting calls as to why this game doesn't work, why everythings so slow, etc. etc.
    And don't forget to patch win2k and office to the brim before giving to ppl on a 56k connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ackack658

Hi guys

Just joined the board, this is my first post.

I just want to ask Civil Servant, Where are you getting your prices? €10 for a 128 megs of pc100 ram?A 32 meg geforce is hardly ancient. And contrary to popular belief 20 gigs is not cramped (with all my games, about 300 songs and all the business files,I am still only using a quarter of the disk)

To the guy who put out the post I would say at least €600, bear in mind if anything goes wrong with it, they will probably phone you, and if you have to go over and sort something out, especially if it is only a few weeks after they bought it from you, they will not feel like paying you money for support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

2nd hand ram is not (I think) going to sell too well. (Unless u want to buy it from him) He says Geforce TNT2, don't know if he means Geforce 1 or nvidia TNT2 which positively is ancient for current games. Grand for quake 2 or playing games at 640x480.

In retrospect prob a bit rough on the prices but that was 6 months ago. What do you think it's worth now?

Oh and welcome to the boards. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I sold this....

Athlon 1200
    512MB PC133 RAM
    20GB 7200 RPM HD
    DVD/CDRW Combo
    Floppy
    Creative 5.1 Sound
    ATI Radeon 8500
    2.1 Speakers
    Modem, Network Card
    Desk
    Optical Mouse, Multimedia Keyboard
    15" Monitor

For 450 at the weekend.

I consider that I was lucky to get it.

PCWorld are selling a Celeron 2.6, 256RAM, DVD/CDRW, 40GB,
    Modem, 17" Monitor etc...... for 699 new !!!!!! And other ones at 2.2 mhz, without a monitor for 399.

I think you are asking far too much. But then, if you can get the money, maybe you should take it. I am a fool. I can't bring myself to rip people off intentionally. Everyone likes to get as much as they can, but I put together a lot of PC's as a nixer and I can't afford to damage my reputation by ripping someone off.

No offence but I think you were conned. There is a big difference between ripping people off and covering yourself properly. Did that include the software? IF so is the software all installed? What software is it?

Did you build that machine your self or did you buy from a shop, if so what make is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

this thread is 6 months old.. why was it resurrected?
    I just want to ask Civil Servant, Where are you getting your prices? €10 for a 128 megs of pc100 ram?A 32 meg geforce is hardly ancient.

Check out the for sale board... theres routinely sticks of ram at those prices.
    Also the TNT2 (theres no such thing as a Geforce TNT) is pretty damn old.. nigh on 6 years in fact at this stage, and on an age par with the rest of the originally quoted spec (the fact that its a Gateway AMD would probably mean its 5 years old though).

There was no software at all, no OS included with my machine.
    Home built with good parts. This was one I had used myself as a second machine for LAN gaming whenever one of the lads came round and I wasn't selling support with it.

In fact the PC World special offers in Waterford this morning were....

Celeron 2.3, 80GB, Integrated GFX and Sound, DVD/CDRW, 17" Monitor, Fujitsu, 399 Euro.

Blimey.

Does anyone have bus timetables from galway to waterford?

You should have seen the queues though, the store only opened.

About the first 10 people got them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: also it will have Win 2k,Office 200
    Only if you have Legit licenses & If they are OEM they must have been bought with the PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A PC is worth exactly how much someone is willing to pay for it, no more, no less.

Obvious eh, no point in debating it really.

If you think it's worth 600, and they will pay it (or already have seems its an ancient thread), then it's worth that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

There's a Computer repair/parts store near me that will gladly sell you a shined up Pentium 75/100/133 (incl refurbished printer) for €500. They seem to do a roaring trade too.

Advertisement