Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian O'Driscoll to join Miami Dolphins Football Team?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

By Brian O' Driscoll I presume you mean Ronan O'Gara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oops! Yes :D

I sometimes get them mixed up, not sure why....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Jonah Lomu got a similar offer I believe.

There are much better kickers then O'Gara, some of them wouldnt even play rugby. Imo O'Gara's true kicking abilities are from out of his hand. Must be agony for the opposition to watch them bounce an inch out of touch and then roll in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

what does o gara know about playing american football

and also (this would be for a person who plays both) which one of them is harder, i know the american football guys where padding but it still looks pretty sore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The only reason they need padding is because they decide to make the paddings cover hard, it is a vicous circle "I need padding to protect me from their padding", idiots. In my opinion rugby is the tougher sport from both an endurance and physical strength aspect.

Yes I would agree that rugby would be a much more physically demanding sport endurance wise.

Plus O'Gara would hardly ever play. If he did move I cant imagine him being able to return to Munster any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

would you turn down the kind of money he is been offered to kick a football maybe twice or three times in a game?!?!?

it would be terrible to see him leave the irish game but thats a lot of money, if someone offered me that amount of money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Kickers rarely get hit anyway so its not too demanding on them.

12m for a few kicks every game seems like a pretty good deal.

Even ex-Spurs striker Clive Allen played for a season with one of the NFL Europe teams a few years ago.

While he would be loss for Munster how could any young player turn down that kind of money. Plus he was born in San Diego so living there would not be entirely new to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by spanner
    what does o gara know about playing american football

and also (this would be for a person who plays both) which one of them is harder, i know the american football guys where padding but it still looks pretty sore

Doesn't need to know much. He'll only be kicking, he has a fair idea about how to do that.

Bad Idea of asking before the world cup and to a lesser extent the heineken cup, Ask him afterwards and he'll be more interested.

2 to 3mins a game for $100,000+ a week, Not bad.

do the kickers only come on to take the kicks in american football, **** thats handy money,

Thats all, and kick offs and punting the ball.

Well he could easily do it after he retired from professional rugby. I cant see him leaving the game, their wouldn't be any passion or enthusiam in the American Football imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Thats all, and kick offs and punting the ball.

And extra points and field goals.
    Was he offered a contract as a punter or was it to kick field goals?

I took it for granted that he'd be taken field goals. I dont see why he cant do all kick related plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

AFAIK there are two different kickers, well at least there used to be on a lot of teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adecartref

The rumour was that O'Gara was offered a $12 million - 4 year contract to take punts for the Miami Dolphins.

The average salary for a punter in the NFL is $350,000 per year, so the story seemed a nonsense from the start - much as the rumours that NFL scouts are falling over themselves to sign Ben Cohen and Johnny Wilkinson.

Miami have one of the leagues better punters in Mark Royals anyway and their kicker, Olindo Mare is the second most accurate in league history.

There is no sign of any comment on the official Miami Dolphins website and the UK Dolphins fans site has this...

"While amused, the Dolphins denied reports they offered Irish rugby star Ronan O'Gara a $12 million offer to be a punter. British television and The Irish Times reported Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga met with O'Gara in Ireland and expressed interest in signing him. Dolphins vice president Rick Spielman said he has never heard of O'Gara."

Advertisement