Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what connection ?

Options
  • 16-03-2003 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I'm sure its been asked before , but i feel now it has more relevence.

Eircom has just released its wholesale price for dsl , so it will be available from april .

So what have you got , what are you going to go for , what are its good points , what are its bad points ?

Me , well like most of ireland I have the good old 56k , on an external and am probably going to go for the esat residential ver. ( if they drop the price to come into line with eircom ) , just because they leave interleaving turned off . My isp atm is utvip ,but to be honest their pings are crap , I would probably stay with them cause they have a great support network but they will have to use eircom's systems .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Iv got Eircom's I-Stream enhanced package, 1mb adsl, no cap,Perfect for games ping times are around 75.:D . 100kb max DL speed,Does 1 MB in 12-15 sec. Price E 220 a Month :eek: But worth it.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

im on isdn sigh...its ok i guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Perfect for games ping times are around 75.:D

thats quite crap on 1mb tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

isdn - ping times of 30-60 in ireland, slightly better download rates than 56k and a price nowhere near 220e a month do me :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im on ISDN and great pings on DOD and CS about 60-120 and other games like Medal of honour and Battlefield anything between 70-180.
    Compared to my old 56k this is incredible and has opened up games that were unplayable on 56k :)
    Ill probably go for Eircom DSL when its out but TBH my pings on m favourite games are matching friends who have Eircom DSL.
    I hear Eircom DSL pings are poor to other DSL services.
    Basically if im guaranteed better pings ill get DSL but at the moment im delighted with what ive got.
    IMO only thing ISDN is not a huge step up from 56k is Download speed.

• Advertisement

dave.c
    thats quite crap on 1mb tbh

Im not fussed about the ping times tbh ,once there is no lag i dont really care, and all the games i play are perfect, bf1942,ut2k3,sof2,generals,igi2.
    Im v.happy wit it ;)

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

combat,you'd probably get a pretty similar ping on 256k. Waste of moolah if you ask me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Like a lot of students (probably), I don't have the time, money or inclination to play games at home very often, so I settle for the local internet cafe, which has ISDN connections as well as the whole jammy zero-ping LAN thing going on. If you go at odd hours like close to midnight you get discounts, so it's actually pretty affordable for a few good hours a week. Failing that, the college network...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

ISDN 64K I get a ping of 45-60 in all hl mods.

Tizlox
    combat,you'd probably get a pretty similar ping on 256k. Waste of moolah if you ask me...

Yeah your prob right... but what the hell, im not paying for it.( we need that kinda connection neway )

:D:D:D COMBATCOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

if you want a great ping for games get Esat it seems as they use fastpath.

Will give you similar pings to the people in Uk with DSL as most of those use fastpath too. Eircom dont and even worsen ping to make it avail to more ppl. This does make it more stable tho. (or so im told)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cup and string.

aka IBB wireless.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ahhh Kaids have you not learnt the ways of demanding improved service.

Just email them the ping times from dos, can remember the command line....ping -n or something. If it shows consistent spikes they will sort it out fairly quickly.

Btw I find IBB great for downloading and ping times.
    30-40 in HL mods

-PaNdA

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I've been on the phone to them several times lately, they say they've tried everything they know to fix it but can't figure out why its so fuct. Apparently they have some guys coming over from israel in a while who might be able to fix it, but im not holding my breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything, I've been waiting for equipment to arrive for a new transmitter going on 5months+ at this stage now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I'm not bothered by the ping times per se for Eircom i-stream it's just being able to play without having to watch the clock which is the main draw. Roll on end of march/early april..........

Advertisement