Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Prime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Oh btw, if you're worried about the length of the game.

According to the game timer, i've been playing for.. 1 hour 22 minutes, and only got 4% completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ill have to get it tommorow so, is there much variation in the lvls ?

more feedback..more i say !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

If you don't own a GameCube then do yourself a favour and buy a Metroid Prime pack and see how games should be made. It's worth the price of a GameCube just to play this and then there's also Zelda in about 2 months. GameCube owners have no excuse for not getting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Tusky
    ill have to get it tommorow so, is there much variation in the lvls ?

more feedback..more i say !
    There's no real levels. The game takes place on an alien planet with lots of different types of terrain, all connected by tunnels and elevators. You will almost always have to back-track to areas you've been in before to explore areas that was previously inaccessible either because you don't have the right beam weapon to open a door or you don't yet possess the ability to reach the entrance (you'll know what I mean when you get to play it). Needless to say, the level design is amazing and really give a sense of a massive world instead of just "levels".

People who are worried about getting lost in the game don't even have to worry. If you wander for too long, events will happen to let you know something is interest is happening somewhere and that's usually where you need to be.

The controls are great. Yes, no auto strafing takes a little while to get use to but you can strafe by holding down the "L" or target button and moving left or right.

ps: I love the little touches and effects on the visor due to different environmental conditions like emerging from water or walking into a steam vent

went allll the way into the shop to get it and the shop dont bloody open untill 12.... !!!! 40 more mins !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Got it on Friday and I'm still motoring through. I love every bloody aspect of it. The combat is uses a similar system to Goldeneye (ie holding down the R button to manually aim) but also introduces the lock on system of Zelda. The bosses have been brilliant so far, each better than the last. Graphics, well oh boy oh boy does this outclass anything else I've played. One of the great things too is just how much it retains from Super Metroid (which I played through again a while back in preparation), everything from the abilities to the music when you start from your last save point.
    I'm not sure how you do that grey spoiler thing but I'll just say to anyone whos played it, remember that bit with the you-know-who flying over the you-know-what snowy mountain as a you-know-what teaser for whats to come. Magic.

Having played through Metroid 2 and Super Metroid now I want to get my hands on Metroid Fusion so I can link up and play the original Metroid as well as the new GBA adventure. As soon as the GBA SP is in stock I'm picking it up along with MF.

omfg !??!?! went up shop open...sold outa metroid :(:(:( /cry

btw sloth [.spoiler]
    >[./spoiler] (without the full stops)

Ah right. Well here goes nothing then.
    In the snowy wastelands just before you go to the alien artifact site you get to see Ridley fly over head. The way it happens is brilliant and the slow cinematic effect of it gently gliding over head is wonderful.

Ok now that thats out of the way we can go back to badmouthing all those people who haven't got metroid prime yet. Let me be the first to do so right now: Hahahahaha, look at them, they haven't got a copy of metroid prime yet. Hehehehe. lets reconvene laughing at them some more later on after I get something to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Its just absolutely incredible, buy it or face having your knees nibbled to death.

Loading times as Kevok said take place only in elevators and whatnot and are so pretty you wont really care :)

The graphics and sound are excellent also, controls take a bit of getting used to but I found them second nature by level 2.

The exploration aspect of it really draws you in, feels like a living breathing world (fairplay to Retro) and the enemies are as youd expect,ie TEH S3X!1!

Buy it :D

One thing I kinda don't like (not that I truely hate it or anything) is the amount of times your taken out of the suit into a third person perspective. I see no reason why most of the cutscenes couldn't just happen while your still in your suit ala Half- Life or why you can't stay in your suit during the loading times. It's acceptable in the ball sections as otherwise they'd be impossible to control but it keeps it more fluid the less you break out from the suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Doesn't bother me at all. The 3rd Person cutscenes are cinematic (particularly when you see a boss for the first time - it gives you a good look at it, and shows possible weak spots).

I'm up at the boss in the Sun Room in Chozo Ruins. What a bloody fantastic game. Some other cool things about it -- exploring off the beaten track will nearly always reward you. If you don't get something out of it, you'll spot something that you'll need a powerup to get to later on. The other thing I love are the auto hints. If you wander around aimlessly, you'll get a map based hint as to where you're supposed to go (and the map is EXTREMELY useful and very well done). One final cool thing is the scanning system. I got to a room with alot of water in it. Wandered about underwater for ages trying to get across, but couldn't. So I got back out, scanned the area and spotted something which gave me the hint:
    "This looks like a good use for the grappling device"
    . So I knew that I didn't have to do that room just yet. I also spotted a powerup in a different room, which, when I scanned it, I was told that it wasn't accessible from this room. The tips are useful, and don't give too much away.

Fantastic game. Can't fault it yet.

- Dave.

i want i want but its sold out most places :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Sloth
    In the snowy wastelands just before you go to the alien artifact site you get to see Ridley fly over head.
    thought i'd seen the last of that bastard in metroid fusion:confused:
    i want this game so bad it's starting to hurt:(

Hey tman your not meant to read the spoilers unless you actually own the game! :D
    Here's the latest update on my progress (don't go reading this tman until you get the game or else you will suffer my plasma beam induced wrath):
    I just got to the research facility in the snowy wastelands and fought my first fully functional space pirate. What a great experience that was, I'd say it's well up there with meeting the soldiers for the first time in Half-Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah tis a cool game. Playing it about 5 hours now, have 40% items 52% scan.
    So i'm pretty far, so don't read the spoilers until you get the ice beam.

There is so much to do in this game, areas open up so much when you get different items.
    The place where you get the ice beam is MASSIVE and you will have to back there and try out all your different guns on the doors later, and the ghost Chizos are cool.

I'd say they did the best job possible and it's very true to the original, they even kept the Norfair music for Magmoor!
    And after completing the reseach facility after getting the heat vision, space pirates turn up everywhere, and the baby sheegoths ain't babys no more!

Don't worry about the game ending soon, i'm about half way, but i'm progressing pretty quickly. Some of the old tricks will help you to progress through, but i'd say the average player will be playing for 20 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Can't wait for this. Am gonna order it through CDWow cos I don't have any of those loyalty card dealies. Although saying that, I probably won't get to play it till the middle of may. "Final year" and "big ass project" are apparently "more important" than playing games. Pffft.

Don't worry, once you stick that dinky little disk into your cube all other concerns thankfully become meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Sold out AGAIN today getting more in on Friday apparently. I think I'll throw a deposit on it tomorrow to be guaranteed my copy.

Friday evening. Walked into Game Blanch. Picked up one Metroid Prime case among many. Paid for it. Walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Well I live in Waterford which, unfortunately, is a ****hole! :)

They probably get around 5 copies in each time and theyre probably all pre-booked.

• Advertisement

Yeah Waterford sucks. If your a dedicated fan like me you should already be well on your way to driving up to here and buying it. I think you owe Samus no less for all the hours shes put in for you in the past.

game blanch is sold out now though.... blah i want to play it lioke...if i dont play it soon i wil give into my old ways of the wonders of the wankathon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

iv had a lotta free time since 10 am last friday when i got it and iv just beaten it. 21 hours to beat the story but lots more to do xtra easily one of the best games iv ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Friday evening. Walked into Game Blanch. Picked up one Metroid Prime case among many. Paid for it. Walked out.

Me too, even got them to price match it to Smyths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hey tman your not meant to read the spoilers unless you actually own the game! :D
    Here's the latest update on my progress (don't go reading this tman until you get the game or else you will suffer my plasma beam induced wrath):

it's cool, i've got the memory of a goldfish on a good day.
    by the time i get round to buying a cube & mp itt'l all be long forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Ive been looking for it everywhere, but everywhere is sold out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

missed getting my brother to pick me up one of those 'cheper gamecubes with game and memorycard' offers from dixions or argos, from london by a day :( My mother didnt bother lettin me know he was on his way home :mad: He missed my birthday too so he would have either paid for half or thrown in a few extras with it as a pressie..........hell be going back over soon but then ill have to organise postage which is a balls.......how much is it with metroid prime over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

this game is better than sex! heh well not really but it's up there.

i actually think the game loads chunks of the world between doors.have you noticed it takes a few seconds for some doors to open?

anyway 6hours,~20% complete. brings me back to the days of super metroid and the HUGE books of maps :)

i'd say:if you dont have this game,i'd have to say it's almost as ground breaking as Half-Life. ( which reminds me
    you know those VERY half-life-esque monsters in the chozo ruins,the ones that come out of the wall,they ROCK!
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Better than half life in my opinion, the attention to detail is just amazing, nintendo at their best(until zelda appears anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The reason some doors take longer to open than others is simple.....LOADING!
    Though it's very short

Advertisement