Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Prime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

For anyone who hasn't yet had a chance to buy Prime, I've just called Smyth's in Jervis St. and they have it back in - I've put my name down and will be collecting it this evening:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Loads of them in Game in both Tallaght and Grafton St. Along with the new Metroid Gamecube bundle.

Now...if only delivery from Play was a little faster...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

By the sound of it this game would spell certain doom for my chances of exam success; I think I'll pick it up in late May.

It looks truly class but what I'm really excited about is the next Zelda (Also expertly positioned to encourage me not to study...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Well, I played Metroid for about three hours last night and it kicks ass!
    I was looking forward to it so much I thought I'd have to be dissapointed with something.
    I thought the controls were going to be awkward but I got used to them after a few minutes and the graphics are absolutely gorgeous. The whole game runs very smoothly too.

5pm seems like years away:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DOG BOY CHANGE YOUR AVATAR!!!!!!

I'm off college for 3 weeks and played it to death and finished it. An absolutely amazing game. It took me almost 20 hours to beat but that isn't including the times I died. Love the attention to detail theres lots you might miss. Check out the distorted real time reflections on the ice in phendrana. I'd give this 97%. It's worth getting a gamecube for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 neiko

Sigh, I sooo want to play this game. I have it right next to me (a relative gave it to me as a present), but I don't have a TV to play it on! I'm at college and it just so happens that there's no TV here :(

Unless there's a way to lash the Cube onto this very PC I'm staring at, I'll have to wait until summer to play this game *shudder*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I weep for you.

Nah! actually I point and laugh at how helpless you are when the gaming experience of a lifetime is so close yet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I'd give this 97%. It's worth getting a gamecube for.

How can you give it 97%, i never understood this. 97% for what, why not 96%, or 98%.
    What bad thing was worth 3%.
    I perfer to ranks games by goodness.

Very bad, bad, average, good, very good, excellent.

Sorry, i've just always hated reviews that give percentages. Bit exact don't you think.

I thought it was a bit short tbh, 8 hours and about 90%, and I don't really feel like playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Giblet
    I thought it was a bit short tbh, 8 hours and about 90%, and I don't really feel like playing it again.
    You are either very very good at this game or followed a FAQ from start to finish. I say it's the latter cause there is no way you can go through the game and go back to find most of the secrets to complete 90% of the game in 8 hours. So assuming I am right, it's only short cause you ruined it for yourself! Apologies if I am wrong ;)

I do agree with you on rating the game. Numbers are kinda meaningless, I'd say it's the best game I've played on the ps2, cube and xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ok played it for an hour or two and blah tis amazing,great,sexy etc !!! cant wait to play more ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

8 hours on the game clock, I'd say. Alot more in real life! :)

For those who have finished it, what was on the game clock at the end?

- Dave.

I've finished it. Got 76% and was just under 20 hours. That doesn't include the time i spent before i died or the bastard of a last boss. This was my first time through without a walkthrough.

Meta Ripley was my favourite boss. Starts out a doddle and then becomes a nightmare. Brilliant.

Beat the game with 75% or more and you get to see Samus with her helmet off.

Only thing I found disappointing was the absence of a trademark Metroid suprise ending.

what does she look like with helmet off...when u see her eyes through the helmet she sure looks purty... ! after u finish game can u go back adn try get the the extra %'s u need ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I got it earlier this week but barely played it as I had about four projects and a test to do for school. I've been playing it all day and can't put it down. I'm about 37% through the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Tusky
    what does she look like with helmet off...when u see her eyes through the helmet she sure looks purty... ! after u finish game can u go back adn try get the the extra %'s u need ?
    man that's pretty damn freaky, i was just browsing for some new wallpaper & checking boards at the same time.
    i read this thread & stumbled upon this pic in the space of 10 seconds... (both pages were loading at the same time)
    http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=17842
    weird

shes puuuuurty ! cheers :) thought she had brown hair though :(
    ?

[edit]
    OMG is it just me or is her face absolutely the same as the main character from eternal darkness ?
    Have a look here and compare...

http://www.repubblica.it/gallerie/online/tecnologie_internet/gamecube/6.html = Eternal Darkness ! (bad pic btw and doesnt reflect uber ED graphics :D )

http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=17842 = Samus !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Picked up Metroid, Eternal Darkness and Ghost Recon for 110 yoyos yesterday (go team Smyths!).

Even as a huge fan of Super Metroid, I was pleasently surprised by Metroid Prime. I've only played for an hour, but that hour was packed with more entertainment than many games can muster in ten times that time. Kudos to Retro Studios for pulling it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

They kinda look like each other I suppose but seeing as theyre both animated faces with the exact hairstyle and colour you just get that impression :)

I STILL havent gotten a copy of Metroid yet, they gave me some lame excuse and told me "Tuesday" :rolleyes:

Was anyone else strangely turned on by stepping into the role and becoming a woman:D

You are able to go back and collect the other missles and energy tanks you missed as long as you haven't deleted your last save game.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by CodeMonkey
    You are either very very good at this game or followed a FAQ from start to finish. I say it's the latter cause there is no way you can go through the game and go back to find most of the secrets to complete 90% of the game in 8 hours. So assuming I am right, it's only short cause you ruined it for yourself! Apologies if I am wrong ;)

I do agree with you on rating the game. Numbers are kinda meaningless, I'd say it's the best game I've played on the ps2, cube and xbox.

Pfft FAQ my arse. I r teh l33t. Come on it ain't that hard. Just play the game, and when you die, you will know where everything was, and play from your last save. Genius.

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Was anyone else strangely turned on by stepping into the role and becoming a woman:D

yes:p

edit:
    wow just fought loads of space pirates for first time...they are so fuching uber ! the way they hang form the roof and pounce around like lions !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Finally bought this yesterday and I'm so pleased with it :D Dunno what percentage I am but I've just killed that big rock thing (nice boss) and I'm heading back to the Chozo ruins for something. Am I gone very far? Rolling around as a little morph ball is mad :) Someone asked this but I don't think it was answered.. When you finish it are you free to run around the world looking for the secrets or do you have to start up a new game?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Question: Is it in any of the Gamesworlds? I'm asking cos I;ve got some vouchers I'd like to redeem (and little to no money!)

What's the most anyone's paid for it, do ye mind me asking?

GLad everyone's coming together in a big K1LL TEH P1RAT3S kinda way :)

Originally posted by Swifty
    Finally bought this yesterday and I'm so pleased with it :D Dunno what percentage I am but I've just killed that big rock thing (nice boss) and I'm heading back to the Chozo ruins for something. Am I gone very far? Rolling around as a little morph ball is mad :) Someone asked this but I don't think it was answered.. When you finish it are you free to run around the world looking for the secrets or do you have to start up a new game?

You can just go to the last save and do it. Piece of piss then:>

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TommyUnderwear

Don't talk to me about Gamesworld. I went down to them the day before launch day and they said they didn't need a pre order from me. I went down on launch day and they told me it was sold out. So I ordered a copy from the next batch and lo and behold, they are having problems getting them shipped. 2 weeks since launch and I still have no copy.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Theres way too much over praise from you guys, its good but not brilliant.

off topic; I bought a gamecube 3 weeks back so what good football games are out there to rival P.E.S.2 on ps2 or should i wait for something other than a bloody fifa game to come out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Not much to rival P.E.S on PS2 apart from P.E.S on Gamecube imported from Japan.
    However, back to Metroid Prime. Oh my god, what a game. Im only about 25% in after 4 and a half hours not including deaths etc but i can honestly say im enjoying this as much as Zelda on SNES. This is what games are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

got a copy yesterday after trading in the ridicously easy res evil 0.

very impressed so far, bit frustrated though, im on the forth world and still have yet to get any new bang bangs :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Theres way too much over praise from you guys, its good but not brilliant.

Do you know how much work it takes to build a game as complex and technically superb as this? Compare it to 95% of the games out there at the moment and it kicks their asses in nearly every respect. That, in my book anyway, classifies it as brilliant.

Oh and on footie titles, ISS3 is due out soon but has taken a route towards a more arcade driven style and from what I've seen is the worse for it. Konami just released Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution in Japan which kicks ass. Its supposedly the best footie sim on any console, however there's no plans to release it in Europe ATM so if you want it you'll need to invest in a Freeloader disc (allows you to play imports) and a Jap copy of it. Then again you'll need to put up with all the japanese text. :( Hopefully they'll release it over here.

Oh and FIFA 2003 or ISS2 are the best footie games on the PAL Gamecube right now.

Advertisement