Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chorus Via Skybox through to Dolby?

• 17-03-2003 7:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

My setup is Chorus cable coming from the street into the back of the Sky Box. Sky connected to the Dolby 5.1 sound via (red and yellow) cable. Sky connected to the TV via scart. Sky output to the rest of the house via the rf out thingy ,via a normal cable.

I have dolby sound for DVD and the same for Sky channels (well it comes out the speakers anyway, not sure if its 5.1)...but only get sound out of my TV speakers for the Chorus signal.

I get Chorus and Sky upstairs and its just a 19inch telly and setup/sound is fine for both Sky and CHorus.

So my question is what do I need to do to get the sound from the Chorus signal to go through my dolby system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is your chorus analog then?

Any aerial cable on Digbox just "loops" out again. The Digibox via aerial out is Mono, as are all VHS etc.

Analog TV sound is ALWAYS mono. Terrestrail Analog, piggybacks a digtal stereo audio (Never ever 5.1, though the lesser matrixed Dolbies may be carried on any stereo). This is Nicam. A very few analog cable and no Analog MMDs carry the Nicam Digital Stereo piggybacked on the Analog as on Terrestrial analog T V of an aerial.

No VHS records NICAM. A Socalled Nicam VHS infact has a nicam receiver / decoder on its TV tuner. The VHS uses a track on the edge of the tape for mono and FM audio on tracks laid diagonally along with the video from the spinning drum. On VHS playback only the SCART has stereo (or L & R "phono"/RCA sockets). The aerial connector on playback only has mono.

No domestic equipment whatsover outputs Nicam, other than aerail connector "loop through" as a Nicam encoder is too expensive.

You can't get 5.1 Dolby from a L & R socket on anything, only the other kinds of dolby surround carried on two channels.

Even the Sky+ which has a Digital out to drive a Dolby 5.1 decoder, has only 5.1 on one or two or three Sky Movie channels. Since Dolby 5.1 can't be transmitted in the normal digital stereo channel, almost on-one transmits it.

The Digibox L& R will only have Digibox channel sound.

To feed your HiFi from Chorus uese either a TV with L&R output (via scart adaptor or RCA/Phono or 5 pin DIn connectors.. consult the TV manual), or a VHS with Nicam Tuner tuned to Chorus. If it has SCART connection to Digibox, then selecting AV, L1 etc on it (not a tuned in channel) will output Digibox stereo. If a selected tuned channel has Stereo, or Dolby Surround via Nicam, then the L&R out (via Phono/RCA or SCART or 5 pin DIN) wil be stereo. Stereo tapes will also work.

There is unlikely to be Stereo on the Cable, though depending on how Chorus put the channels on the Cable, some might have Nicam "by accident".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Agian with DVD, if you use R & L cable / connectors or SCART you can NOT get Dolby 5.1, only Dolby Surround or Stereo.

To get Dolby 5.1 from DVD you need:
    1) DVD that actually has Dolby 5.1, not all do
    2) Enable 5.1 in DVD player install/setup menu
    3) Optionally select Dolby 5.1 version on the Film's own DVD menu if this option exists, otherwise if it has 5.1 and (2) is set then it is automatic.
    4) Use a digital out connection between HIFi and DVD player. There is no advantage really to optical versus RCA coax. The connector is usually coloured black:

Normal Colours for RCA /Phono plugs
    Yellow : Video (Composite)
    Red : Audio Right
    White : Audio Left or Mono
    Black: Digital Audio

P.S.
    Internal BBC usage is
    Blue: Right Audio
    Red : Left Audio (i.e. opposite of domestic)

A Scart Connector to Stereo + Video RCA connectors IN and OUT is six connectors and does not use this colour scheme.

Component Video:
    Red : Cr
    Blue : Cb
    (The signals combined as one on S-Video

Green: Y (The black and White picture)

4) Use a digital out connection between HIFi and DVD player. There is no advantage really to optical versus RCA coax. The connector is usually coloured black:
    but of course, your Amp must have a 5.1 decoder built in.
    Mini systems will not have that.

Chorus analog will be totally crappy mono , if it is MMDS.

If you have a good amp, with options for creating soundfields, you can almost completely mimic the effect of 5.1 sound from just a nicam source.
    The Marantz 5 series or the 7200, that I have for instance, has a "circle surround" option which to my ear is almost exactly as good as 5.1 and much beter even than Dolby pro-logic 2.

Digital co-ax cable connections are rumoured to be better than optical, and are what I use, but, you only get that option with upper end DVD players and definitely not with Sky or chorus.

I remember, a conversation i had a few years ago with a chorus operator when I was getting connected to them...I asked, what kind of stereo does this MMDS have that you are putting in for me...will I have to use a scart, or phono leads, or is it nicam...They replied...we don't do stereo, it's only a gimmic really:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

thanks. Yeah I guess Ill have to get my vcr back and hook it up to do "sound" (not stereo) to the speakers.

Advertisement