Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Request: Planetside

Options
  • 17-03-2003 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by DeVore
    You should request a board in the proper way.

Name:
    Purpose:
    Private: Y/N

DeV.

Name: Planetside (For the Games drop-down)

Purpose: To discuss all things Planetside. Game is due for release may 19th, first ever MMOFPS. Offical site here. Im barely able to contain myself. Others arent so disciplined and have already splurged. It will really need a forum of its own; i reckon its one of the games of the year, so there will be a lot of organisation/clan making/general chitchat going on :)

Private: N
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

might be an idea to wait till its out and see how much discussion there is about it first eh?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

gonna be such an ownage game, i fully endorse anything related to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Merge it with a star wars galaxies board, like save time by having both on the one forum and not cluttering boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i heartily endorse anything to do with planetside
    dunno bout merging it with galaxies though , surely you can stick the galaxy people in the star wars board or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by richindub2
    might be an idea to wait till its out and see how much discussion there is about it first eh?
    There is already a lot of discussion elsewhere. Go google if you dont believe me :)
    Originally posted by Doodee
    Merge it with a star wars galaxies board, like save time by having both on the one forum and not cluttering boards.ie
    SW:G and Planetside are entirely seperate games, that play entirely differently and will attract entirely different audiences. Surely thats enough to give each a board of its own? There will certainly be the traffic..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

there is a lot of discussion elsewhere about chess, that doesnt mean we need a chess board here?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

how constructive richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I reckon we need an MMO board, as I've suggested. This will bring together discussion on SWG, PS and others into a single board instead of splitting threads across the Games and Role Playing boards.

Teeth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

At this stage, we'll probably either create an MMO board, or a "Latest fad" board.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Or just post in the Roleplaying forum.. or is the stigma that bad?

SWG is a RPG, Planetside is going to more pay to play FPS from what I've read of it. You could use the Quake board, they will never know the difference. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Most RPG fans would lose the head if you suggested that MMO games were the same thing as RPGs. Personally I play and enjoy both genre but I can see how they're both completely different types of games and usually attract different types of people.

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Most RPG fans would lose the head if you suggested that MMO games were the same thing as RPGs.

Do you even read the RPG forum? The discussion is light but if you look at all the posts they are nearly all MMO related.

PlanetSide being the only MMO game I am aware of barring web games which isn't RP related.

Loose the head? hardly.

I just don't see the point of diluting the forums even more when there is easily a number of forums which would suit for the subject.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Do you even read the RPG forum? The discussion is light but if you look at all the posts they are nearly all MMO related.
    Ok then lets rename the RPG forum as MMO.

PlanetSide being the only MMO game I am aware of barring web games which isn't RP related.

For me anyway an RPG is a game where you create a character and then go through a plot trying to act and react as that character would, while a MMO you create a basic shell of a character do repetative tasks until that character is powerful and then play with other players within that game until you get bored and move on.

Really the only thing RPGs and MMOs have in common is the fact that you create a character and it improves with time after that there are hardly any similarities in gameplay.

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Ok then lets rename the RPG forum as MMO.

Or just add it to the title. It used to have it in the title you know.

For me anyway an RPG is a game where you create a character and then go through a plot trying to act and react as that character would, while a MMO you create a basic shell of a character do repetative tasks until that character is powerful and then play with other players within that game until you get bored and move on.

MMO means massively multiplayer online. That could mean anything including web games. That's not to say everything should get it's own forum as your going to get less and less people posting to it.

Pick a forum that you believe best suits the description of the game and post there. When you have a large poster base then it may warrant getting your own forum. That's how CS/HL based forums came to life.

But if you don't believe me, have a look at say the Irish Everquest forum. No post in five months and last I heard nearly everyone there still plays.

So say for PlanetSide you could post in Stategy forum, and for SWG the RPG Forum.

The reason I mention Stigma is because I have seen people post on the games forum slagging off the RPG forum despite they are talking about an RPG. :)

I agree there isn't enough interest in the boards community to warrant separate forums for each MMO game out there. Also when I say MMO I was refering to MMORPGs seeing as the vast majority if not all of the MMO's released up to now have been RPGs. I'm not really that pushed either way but I do believe that RPGs and MMOs are differient types of games and don't belong on the same forum. As you said yourself there seems to be a stigma surrounding RPGs which I can't understand. So you can either leave all the MMO related posts go on the games board which is fine as it isn't getting flooded or just start up a generic MMO board that would cover all the different massively multiplayer games out there if the powers that be reckon there's enough traffic in the next few months to warrant it.

Advertisement