Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 Vs Linux

Options
  • 17-03-2003 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello there,

I need to find information on Windows 2000 and Linux so that I can compare them. Does anyone know of any good web sites that has this information?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

In what areas exactly do you wish to compare them?
    I'm going to make a guess that you are thinking of implementing one or the other in your office?
    If that is the cause you should make it clear what your business will need computers for.

In many standard offices you can use Linux. What distribution of Linux is more the question...
    As for Windows 2000. I'd only go for it if your company needs a system that can run AutoCAD, Photoshop or an app that your Business REALLY needs...

Back to Linux Distributions.
    Personally I prefare Debian but that is because i do alot of programming and like the fact i can apt-get any updates.
    As a business I'd say for user-friendlyness and ease go for Mandrake. It powerful and better than Windows 2000 at just about everything...

I'm sure others will reply with some more useful tips

It would be a help if you could outline what exactly u need your OS to do..

-Cleric Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fergal20

Jasus sorry there lad! You guessed totally wrong!!! Although I like the sound of me having my own business!!!!

I'm a programming student and I've been given the task of comparing Windows 2000 to Linux (and thats all the info I got!).

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ugh. Sounds a bit minging.

Maybe they want you to compare them in terms of usage for programming. Or maybe they want you to do a very basic analysis of how they are.

If it's the latter, you'll probably only need to delve into a few areas;
    Open Source;
    Kernel Types;
    Networking;
    Security;
    FileSystems;

for a more detailed report include stuff about process management and hardware drivers.

It looks like you have a lot of googling ahead of you my friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I use both Windows 2000 and Linux regularly, and I find them much on a par overall.
    For programming I would only use Linux. The console is so much better and all the usual programming tools are at hand. Plus can't live without vim (i know i know you can get it for windows too) with its syntax highlighting etc.

For office use on the other hand I would go Windows. It still has the edge on good fonts, and you can open Word/excel/powerpoint docs etc. flawlessly even though Linux is catching up.

For games I would go Windows.

Technically wise, Linux is faster and more stable than Windows. The main desktop environments KDE and GNOME have actually gotten less intensive on system resources in their latest incarnations, whereas Windows XP has exploded in this regard. GNOME is especially nippy. Linux is better at handling loads of tasks simultaneously, and doesn't have the laptop freezing bug which windows 2000/xp have.

Distribution wise I would go Mandrake (of which the 9.1 version will be out in a day or two). Newbie friendliness and full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

And are most of these linux variations free to download? I remember going to the linux site and seeing prices for certain mods of the OS.

BTW, can linux do email iswell? I mean, does it do the job of a mail server like Exchange does for windows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ando
    And are most of these linux variations free to download? I remember going to the linux site and seeing prices for certain mods of the OS.

BTW, can linux do email iswell? I mean, does it do the job of a mail server like Exchange does for windows?

Most distros are completely free. You get absolutely everything in it too, you don't get more in a 'pay-for-it' version. Most times when you pay for it, it's because you're buying a book or a manual - the distro is free. Head over to the Unix board and anyone there will usually happily oblige in burning you a copy (which is legal).

You can install POP3 and SMTP servers with most distros (free of course). Linux loves being a server, and should do everything you need it to as a mail server, and more.

OK, I'll shup now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

....bearing in mind that the majority of the world's servers run some form of *n*x OS......I'd say yeah. :)

RedHat 8 seems to be edging closer to a corporate desktop replacement OS.
    Mandrake is user-friendly.
    Which is not what you want if you're going to be using linux.
    Dive in the deep end and forge your way.

BOT: Do as Seamus says. Google till your fingers bleed ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The other big question - which version of 2000 ? - they are all very similar - you just have to pay more for the versions with less features blocked. (Home / Pro / Server / Enter)

You can use most versions of linux as workstations or fileservers or by adding things like SendMail or MySQL or Apache they will do similar things to a windows 2000 application server.

Most brand name PC's come with Windows and probably Works bundled at no apparent extra costs. So windows sounds free.
    But if you want to connect to a network you are supposed to use Windows 2000 Pro ( $'s) and windows 2000 server ($'s for CAL's). And if you want to upgrade to XP - well microsoft don't want people to upgrade - the want you to buy new licenses or preferably rent the software ... In most cases the cost of licenses needed to open the latest vesion of an access database on a server is more than the cost of the PC.... From a programming view point this means that a PC on a linux system can be of a higher spec than on a windows system..

It also depends on what level you are programming - at low levels linux open source wins. At high levels - it depends on the language and apps in use - Linux would not be the first choice for Visual Basic. But another point to watch out is microsoft gotcha's - where different versions of languages have different syntax and defaults on some commands and a whole host of undocumented calls...

If you need cross platform support then Linux is yer man - yes you can get windows CE - but it is not 2000, where as linux has been ported to just about anything that has a screen and a decent processor.

One goal of programming is of couse software reuse - write once - reuse forever - unfortunately in the case of windows a singnificant anount of time trobleshooting Apps is spent in sorting out incomapatibilites between different revisions of dll's and registry settings...

And then there are the relative costs associated with the programming languages ...

;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spoofer

Another question....
    I want to use an old PC PII450 256MB RAM as a Broadband firewall/Proxy server and still allow it to be used as an e-mail client.
    Which would be better Win2k or Linux?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Well, Linux gets my whites whiter, but Windows 2000 comes in convenient liqui-tabs which I can just pop into the washing machine...

(Sheesh, do your own homework. Damn kids.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

nice 1 for the info. We currently use NT4 servers with Exchange 5.5 on most of our clients networks but we are now supporting Windows 2000 + Exchange 2000, but to be honest Virus's are the main downside of Windows IMHO. A few virus's have got through the screening process and infected our win2k machines on a number of occasions. Thats the main reason why I'm considering trying out Linux as an email server for a windows workstation enviroment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

sounds like we are going someone's homework..........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

nice 1 for the info. We currently use NT4 servers with Exchange 5.5 on most of our clients networks but we are now supporting Windows 2000 + Exchange 2000, but to be honest Virus's are the main downside of Windows IMHO. A few virus's have got through the screening process and infected our win2k machines on a number of occasions. Thats the main reason why I'm considering trying out Linux as an email server for a windows workstation enviroment.

Christ - you're lucky. The powers that be in my company are wanting to move AWAY from linux and use windows + microsoft server products, eg. ISA, Exchange, IIS (shudders)

Gimme iptables, squid, sendmail, and apache any day!

Advertisement