Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sim free 3650 from mPhone?

• 18-03-2003 10:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

I'm seriously considering buying a sim free Nokia 3650 from mPhone in the UK.

Has anyone any experience of them? Is it good value at £348.98 inc VAT? How long more will it be before it's available here?

Finally, overall, is it to be recommended buying phone sim free?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

mPhone are good and professional - you will probably have to fax them card details etc after you use their online system - but they were very helpful with any queries I had and offfered a more personal approach than expansys (who sometiems don't bother to reply to emails)

mphone also offer better value shipping to Ireland than expansys' blanket rest of European FedEx charges (which can be a big saving especially for accessories)

having said that expansys did decrease their SIM Free price on the 3650 in the last week or so Stg. £293
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=NOK_3650

oh - and recommending buying sim free - not unless you are stuck in a contract that you can't get an upgrade with for a few months - or you can't change networks - also someone on here also mentioned not being able to get handset insurnace on a SIM free phone

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

hey there , u can get sim free mobiles insured , i have dont it myself on several models ,

just so ya know!

cool thanks Smithers :)

just called Homecare Insurance (1800409472) who said to go into a Phone Store that selles their policy to get it done (you need the original receipt for the phone) - they only do insurnace over the phone to their UK customers

called one of the Vodafone Stores on grafton st and they said no problem - just bring in the receipt and they would sort it out :)

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

stay away from homecare , have an outstanding claim from last year with them , they dont ring when they say they will..hard to get through to , and noone can tell u anything yet they are quick anuf to take ur money , if ur with Vodafone try adn get a Vodafone own policey instead of a homecare one

tried calling Voda customer care on 1907 but got through to someone who said I could only get it when I purchased a new phone on contract - have you got a number to contact some who deals with Vodafone Insurance to get some detailed info?

i'd only a number on the Homecare policy doc handy, they were pretty good sorting out a claim an ex work mate had last year when his was nicked :( - have yet to experience going through a claim with them first hand though (and hopefuly won't have to touch wood!)

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Originally posted by DubWireless
    oh - and recommending buying sim free - not unless you are stuck in a contract that you can't get an upgrade with for a few months - or you can't change networks
    BrianG [/B]

No, none of that Brian. I still have my original and only R2G mobile that I got 4 years ago.

My problem is that I need the 3650..... NOW! and apparently it won't be available through Vodafone for at least a few months. It's not that I just want a new toy to play with, it's that I need a 'portable' email device and having spend months studying alternative setups I made up my mind and there ain't no changin' it ;)

Now, is the reason that you don't recommend sim free purchases that it just isn't good value compared with subsidised offers from the networks trying to get you as a new customer? Or are there other reasons? How much could I save by being (extreemely) patient and waiting for a subsidised offer from Vodafone or 02?

Thanks,

i'm not "not" recommending it - my last 3 phones were bought sim free from the UK :)

just wouldn't recommend to someone to do it if they have an upgrade coming up shortly or are happy to switch networks - as you would be getting the subsidy

on the cost side can't give you a figure on how much you would save - depends on what sub the operators apply to it - e.g. 7650 was about eur 650 sim free from uk in july '02 and you could pick it up for eur 99 with a voda contract in feb '03..... 3650 will have a lower price point initially though so the price difference wouldn't be as extreme as that

sounds like you've made up your mind that you want on though so go for it - just no kicking yourself in a while when you see big posters in the operators windows if they come up with special offers

BrianG

Thanks Brian, I think I'll bite the bullet on this occasion :)

-Jim.

Then again,...... maybe not!

From Europmedia.net -

"Vodafone’s Swedish unit has announced that it is set to introduce three new handsets with cameras to its range available for the company’s 2.5G Vodafone Live service.

The Nokia 3650 and Sharp’s GX10i are to be introduced immediately onto the market, and the Sony Ericsson T610 will be on offer by the summer."

Emm, how long after Vodafone Sweden introduce the 3650 are Vodafone Ireland liable to do so?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://mmsmemo.blogspot.com

Advertisement