Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Receiving NASN

• 18-03-2003 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi. I have been advised that in order to get the North American Sports Network I don't actually need to subscribe to Sky Digital, I merely need a 2nd hand digibox and I can subscribe directly. Does anyone know if this is the case? I know little about such things and was wondering could someone point me in the right direction. I'm currently an NTL subscriber but they have told me that they are not planning to make NASN available, not even in the long, long term. I don't want to switch to Sky, so if a 2nd hand digibox gives me a work-around then I'd of course jump at the chance.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i dunno bout that - but it is true that you can ring directly to nasn to get subscribed - but i thought they were on ntl channel 917? is that just the uk or something?

great channel, especially with the ncaa tournament about to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by yankinlk
    i dunno bout that - but it is true that you can ring directly to nasn to get subscribed - but i thought they were on ntl channel 917? is that just the uk or something?

It must be UK only. Nothing on analogue or digital here on NTL for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

If you do get a second hand digibox/dish, where will you get a Sky card from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

subscribe to sky, get a new box and dish for free and half price installation

cancel subscription down to minimum after 1 month
    cancel to zero after 12 months

you now own digibox and card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AMcG

subscribe to sky, get a new box and dish for free and half price installation

cancel subscription down to minimum after 1 month
    cancel to zero after 12 months

you now own digibox and card
    Now this IS interesting. I'm taking "minimum" to mean the Sky Digital €19.99 package, or whatever it is. Correct? Does this definitely work?

Also, and this will be a very simple question for those who know, what effect would subscribing to Sky have on receiving the regular channels (RTE, BBC, UTV etc...)? I've heard the phrase "multi-room viewing" bandied about - does this mean that if I'm watching NASN in the living room, my girlfriend can't watch BBC1 in the kitchen at the same time?

Apologies for my ignorance in such matters. That's why I'm here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by AMcG
    Now this IS interesting. I'm taking "minimum" to mean the Sky Digital €19.99 package, or whatever it is. Correct? Does this definitely work?

Yes it does but you must connect to phoneline for 12 months and the 19.99 package does not give RTE or BBC u need the 27pm for that. You can only view one channel at a time. Have a look at http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Frequently_Asked_Questions.html

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

http://www.nasn.com/faq.asp

How can I get NASN?
    NASN is available in the UK and Republic of Ireland on Sky Digital channel 420. To subscribe simply call 08708 503030. ROI customers should call +44 8708 50 30 30.
    NASN is available on NTL:Home (UK digital only) channel 917. Subscribe now by calling 0800 052 2000.

Where is NASN available?
    You can get NASN in the UK and Ireland just like Sky via satellite.

What does NASN stand for?
    NASN - the North American Sports Network

Can I get NASN if I am a cable subscriber?
    Not yet, but we are hoping that you will be able to in the first quarter of 2003. In the meantime we encourage you to call your cable company and express your interest in obtaining the channel.

What will be the cost of the channel?
    NASN will cost £9.99 (€14.99) per month based on a 12-month subscription.

If you do get a second hand digibox/dish, where will you get a Sky card from?

Have just got a reply from NASN. They said that "You do not need to sign up with SKY to subscribe to NASN". They also said that "Subscribers will require a Sky viewing card and this can be provided by NASN on request".

What issues and/or difficulties would be involved with the installation of a 2nd hand digibox and dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if you don't want to install it yourself you can get a satellite tv installer to do it for you

What sort of price would one be talking about for the installation?

(again, thanks for all the replies to this thread - it's invaluable to someone who knows nothing about this stuff!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by AMcG
    What sort of price would one be talking about for the installation?

(again, thanks for all the replies to this thread - it's invaluable to someone who knows nothing about this stuff!)

I would normally quote 140 if no extra brackets or long cables were needed, ring around though as the closer you are to an installer the better deal you should get, with traffic ,travelling to a job takes more time than the actual install. Make sure the quote includes CT100 cable as some guys use inferior cable which will give you trouble later

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement