Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Willy Wonka

• 18-03-2003 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭

I was just watching this yesterday on TG4, and thought it would be a great candidate for a remake (or a sequel!). Dahl fans would probably torture me slowly with bamboo shoots for suggesting it, but imagine if Charlie Bucket wanted to retire and decided to hold another 5 ticket competition to find his successor?

Done by the right director (Tim Burton? Robert Rodriguez? Rob Marshall?) it could be fantastic! Do you think they'd use CGI Oompah Loompahs? :p

On a side note, I was just having a look around IMDB this morning to see what happened to the actors. Peter Ostrum (Charlie) never appeared in another movie - he went on to become a vet. Paris Themmen (Mike TV) had an uncredited appearance in The Big Lebowski and was also in an episode of Star Trek Voyager! It seems like 99% of the cast fizzled into obscurity.

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Charlie and the glass elevator by Roal Dahl. I don't know if a film has been made yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Roald Dahl wrote a sequel? Wow.... didn't know that......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh he did. They took the elevator into space and met strange creatures. And someone balanced the US balance of payments in the book (more of a science fiction tome then)

I'd quite like to see a James and the Giant Peach treatment of the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Martin Scorcese has been known to have said that he would like to make a remake of the film, abeit in a dark way. With Wonka being a Sadist. And apparently it was Jim Carrey who came into his head to play the part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I don't think Willy Wonka would make a good remake to be honest.

Maybe in another 10 years or so.

It's a classic. Every christmas without fail for years we used to be forced to sit down and watch it :D

but if they do do a remake, the further Jim Carrey is from it the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

There was a giant rumour floating about a while ago that Marilyn Manson had signed up to play the part of Willy Wonka in a remake.

Personally, I'm against this sort of thing. It doesn't need a remake. Or a 're-imagining' (I'm looking at you, Burton).

Plus, you probably wouldn't be able to show someone cutting the head off a chicken any more. That bit alone stole the show, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd like to do a remake with Jeff Daniels as Willy Wonka and Gail Platts son from Coronation Street as Charlie. Wee-Man from Jackass could play the all of the Oompa Lumpas (with the help of CGI of course). I'd get Gus Van Sant to direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Ugh, no remakes. Who would they cast, Jim Carey? *vomit*

The Glass Elevator wouldn't translate into a film well. I didn't think it was as good as the original either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The glass elevator wasn't as good as the orginal book. It was a little to odd. But maybe it would translate well on to film giving it a Tim Burton look. Or maybe Micheal Moore would be interest in the whole American and British helping each other out, giving us a sartical look at war, greed, revenge etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

They were called Knids BTW, the strange animals they met in space. They could mould themselves into different shapes.

And on that note, I would like to say nooooooo! Don't ruin another book by Roald Dahl! He was my idol when I was a kid, loved the books and was so disappointed when the films didn't turn out like the books. The Witches were okay, wasn't angelica Heuston in that?? Anyway, I have actually never read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but if it's anything like all his other books, it'll be fantastic. What's that they say about your imagination running wild?? There is way to much detail in books toget it into 2-3 hours of a film, you just can't do it. No remake is gonna change that!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Vernicious knids no less!!!

I'd already heard that a remake was planned... I foget who was supposed to play Willy Wonka, but I remember at the time thinking... oh yeah, he'd work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

ah yeah.... it's Cage! He can do theinsane eyes thing that may do the trick.

info here:
    http://www.roalddahlfans.com/movies/remake.php

Advertisement