Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

is that really such a problem u can still get it in plenty of places besides and probly cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

HorseFumbler: is that really such a problem u can still get it in plenty of places besides and probly cheaper too

That's not the point.. The fact that two of the biggest UK high-street chains are selling off their Nintendo stock, may mean that the funeral March (pun intented) is being played for the GameCube in Europe.. And this on the eve of one of their biggest releases..

To quote EuroGamer.net: Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Argos will be missing out when zelda comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Cheap metroid plus gamecube though people should buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"Argos will be missing out when zelda comes out."

Oh yes, after hanging onto gamecube stock for ages - Argos, a giant multinational retailer who sell thousands of products - are going to simply be crying into their coffees when they miss out on selling a game that will be number one for 2-3 weeks max.

Gotta love the Ninty fans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The Amiga still sells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

are going to simply be crying into their coffees when they miss out on selling a game that will be number one for 2-3 weeks max.

Have you any concept of the kind of margin a retailer like Argos makes on videogame software compared to other lines they stock? It's HUGE. The issue here is that Argos don't believe that Nintendo can produce software hits and hence hardware sales. If they thought the Cube was going to play host to a stack of No.1 games, they'd be back in like a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Why exactly are they stopping selling the consoles and majorly dropping the prices now when the consoles best lineup is just being released? They could have at least waited until after Metroid to see if things pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

it reminds me of the dreamcast the way the gamecube is going
    at my work in xtra-vision we got gamecube games in and so far have sold 2 games and no consoles in 6 months
    and one of them games was me buying one for my m8 and the other was brought back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Aww man thats sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

If they thought the Cube was going to play host to a stack of No.1 games, they'd be back in like a flash.

Since when is one a stack?

Ever seen the other stuff Argos sells? They make a bloody big margin on everything man, and software sales to teens are *not* their strong point. Electronics in general are not their strong point - it's household goods and toys that they make more profit on than anything surely overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by RasTa
    at my work in xtra-vision we got gamecube games in and so far have sold 2 games and no consoles in 6 months
    and one of them games was me buying one for my m8 and the other was brought back

Yea, but that's because no 'serious gamer' would buy a console from xtravision and GC buyers i'd say would be less of the casual customer than for PS2s etc..

- Kevin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by p

Yea, but that's because no 'serious gamer' would buy a console from xtravision and GC buyers i'd say would be less of the casual customer than for PS2s etc..

- Kevin

Yea that and most average gamers in Ireland don’t know what the GameCube is, never mind what games are out for it.

My GC sits on the top of my Xbox. I was asked by a friend "What’s that thing, is it for more controllers?”, I said its a GameCube, he said its a funny looking thing. The funny thing is that this happened last night.

When the GameCube launched few of my friends were talking about it, when the Xbox or PS2 were launched I can remember nearly every one talking about them (More so when the PS2 launched).

I think more Xboxs then GameCubes would be sold if Xtra-Vision stocked them. If we’re talking about the average gamer, they are better for now just to stay with the PS2 and if they want a second console they should look at what type of games are out on the Xbox and GameCube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

it reminds me of the dreamcast the way the gamecube is going

That's probably because Xtra-Vision suck a large amount of donkey penis when youre looking for anything non PS2 related.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

the fact that gamecube aint sellnig much in ireland/uk is GOOD for us gamecube owners...the gamecube will not fail as it is booming in japan and doing well in U.S so all it means is cheaper games for us GC owners....and tbh if 3rd party producers dont see the potential in GC like they didnt with the 64 the they are fools imo...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yep GC is outselling Xbox on US and Asia.
    Xbox will be next to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Argos to retain Cube following massive sales increase

Rob Fahey 13:11 21/03/2003
    Cheaper consoles sell more units - well, who'd a thunk it?

After suggesting that it would follow Dixons Group in dropping the GameCube from its range, UK retailer Argos has seen a surge in interest in the cut-price console and has confirmed that it will continue carrying it.

The retail chain slashed the price of the console to £78.99 (including a free game and memory card) last week, and the consumer reaction was instant. Sales of GameCube hardware jumped from an average of around 100 units a day to a stunning 5000 units last Saturday.

"The demand has been unbelievable," according to Argos marketing director Paul Geddes. "We've struggled to keep up and cleared out most of our overstock. It's been an unbelievable increase in demand."

The increased demand - unbelievable or not - points the way forward for Nintendo in Europe. Consumers are clearly interested in the GameCube, but not at the current price point, which they may consider too expensive for what is widely perceived as a "second console".

For now, however, Nintendo has Argos back on side just in time for today's crucial Metroid Prime launch, and the retailer says that it has already placed an order for additional hardware and software. Whether this will affect the decision of the Dixons Group to clear its stock of GameCube is unknown.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=1404

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Perhaps Nintendo are buying their own consoles to bolster interest! ;)

Metroid Prime is very good. Zelda is very good. Even contemplating dropping the Cube right now is just silly, or at least shows the people responsible have not researched whats about to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

It's a good console but is there realy room for three consoles in the world or is two our limit

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

The industry has expanded.

But what people just don't understand, is that Nintendo makes money on the Gamecube console! Microsoft is losing a tidy bundle on each console sold, they tried to cut back its cost, but that just pissed off nvidia.

PS2.... that I'm not sure of. But, it is a stark reminder of the dark dark days when Nintendo held the market. The PS2 costs what... €200 new now? It should be much lower.

Nintendo is no Sega, Nintendo have enough money in the coffers to last several more generations. Sega were in debt since the Megadrive 32bit expansion thing, and the Sega CD.

While Nintendo may be in 3rd place. It is a firm 2nd if you look at profits.

Besides, if rumours are to be believed, it looks like a very different Nintendo will emerge from the ashes of E3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 newguy

Originally posted by SyxPak
    The Amiga still sells.
    LOL Remember that computer well. Insert disc to use:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by Kevok
    Besides, if rumours are to be believed, it looks like a very different Nintendo will emerge from the ashes of E3.

What rumours are theses may I ask.

I'm still hoping Nintendo jump into the whole online gaming world.

I'd *love* to see the things they'd create.

Pokémon for example, could possibly be the best online game ever.

- Kevin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to disagree. I think Nintendo are making the right decision by not expanding into online games. Online games my be huge on the PC but there is very little interest in it on consoles especially with the difficult setups and woefully high subscription fees.

I believe Nintendo will steal E3 again more so than last year. While Microsoft and Sony will be flaunting online jargon and games that will only impress journos nintendo will concentrate on what is important, the games. Just one look at their software line-up for E3 and it is easy to guess who has the best games to show.

Advertisement