Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Saddam uses WOMD on attacking forces

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

before or after sept 11? do u mean their act against america, or the american response?

I'm sick of correcting silly things like this: The Taliban may have sponsored Al Queda, but they didn't carry out the WTC act of terrorism. If you're going to use flawed logic like this, you should extend it to include America itself as another perpetrator.

adam

dahamsta - i didn't mean that the Taliban had carried out Sept 11, but rather that sept 11 was the catalyst for all the things that are currently happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by klaz
    dahamsta - i didn't mean that the Taliban had carried out Sept 11, but rather that sept 11 was the catalyst for all the things that are currently happening.

I don't think it was. It's just another happening from an long running problem.

i didn't mean that the Taliban had carried out Sept 11

You said "their act" in a response to a quoted post about the Taliban.

adam

I don't think it was. It's just another happening from an long running problem.

Yes, the hawks in the Bush administration have been planning this war for years, and yes, they would have found a way to do it anyway, but I think he's right to say that the WTC was a catalyst. A handy one, but a catalyst nonetheless.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by spanner
    but i think everyone is getting a bit hung up on stuff like the americans giving sadam the weapons and critizing americas moral stance
    fair eough the americans made a very big mistake giving arms
    to sadam but thats no reason why they cant put a stop to him now

The issue is that the US are using the gas-attacks of over a decade ago as "proof" of the evilness of Saddam. OK - its a fair point, but its not the full story.

The fact still remains that the US are being very quiet about the reality that they continued to back Saddam after these attacks, including (I believe) continued support for his chemical weapons program.

It is one thing to supply arms to someone and then say its not your responsibility how they are used. It is another thing to see how they were used, continue to supply them, and then come back and condemn the way in which they were used because it suits a newer campaign.

Its all water under the bridge, though, and is really nothing more than part of the propaganda war.

At the end of the day, the US has probably changed its foreign policy stance and is not likely to go distributing WMDs to oppressive and aggressive regimes - at least not while there is no cold war to fight by proxy.

It also remains possible that Iraq too has changed its policy...and had no intention of using WMDs for anything other than defensive purposes (assuming it still has some) - but that doesnt matter, as Iraq is simply not permitted to have these weapons.

So....if they have them, and if they use them, does it make the war "just"? Well, its a tough one. It makes the war justifiable, but it still doesnt show that war (and the ensuing deaths) was the only way to remove these WMDs.....which is what most people based their objections on - that war was not the only option remaining.

Ask yourself this....if Blix had found these alleged WMDs, and had successfully removed them with Iraq's grudging consent, would that have been justification for war? If so, to what purpose?

Its a moot question. I accept that. This war is a reality, and barring something unlikely and unexpected (like a Chinese ultimatum to cease hostilities, backed with the complete cessation of Chinese/US trade until that happened), it will run its course.

Whether or not it is justified really doesnt matter now. What matters is how it is carried out, and how responsibly both sides act.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by klaz
    I disagree. In that case Iraq would have justification in bombing N.York, just because Iraqi cities are going to be bombed. Revenge has no place in a war.
    They could attack the New York Naval Yard (Queens) or a National Guard armoury, of course Iraqi ballistic missiles aren't all that accurate, so they might hit Manhattan instead.....

They could attack the New York Naval Yard (Queens) or a National Guard armoury, of course Iraqi ballistic missiles aren't all that accurate, so they might hit Manhattan instead.....

TBH, i was actually talking about the planting of devices throughout the city, through operatives.

I think America could come to regret this war, simply because they have never been on the receiving end of a war, within their own country. Should Saddam launch strikes within the US, they'll quickly realise what war is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Interesting point point. Today four missiles were fired against US installation in Kuwait. Two hit targets.

Saddam has denied firing them???

Well who did??

Oh sorry, it was me......... Saddam would not admit to getting out of bed in the morning. I think most people believe that he has ABC weapons. He is willing to use them on his own people, I feel he would have no qualms in using them on me, here and now..

When the push comes to the shove, George W is not going to strike, or support any strike against ME. Saddam will/would, in MY own best interests I would rather an innocent in Iraq was killed as oposed to me. I would rather some members of Iraq's Republican Guard were killed than any of my friends or family.

Adolf Hitler was cut from the same cloth, and if it was not for the actions of America & the UK during WWII, we would be speaking German.

Bomb Him......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by James Melody
    I think most people believe that he has ABC weapons.
    Read my thread on propagands, the USA and Kuwait claimed they were scuds, Iraq said they didn't have any, the USA and Kuwait then changed their story.
    Originally posted by James Melody
    I think most people believe that he has ABC weapons.
    /me throws a toddlers alphabet block at James, you mean NBC weapons. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Bomb Him......
    Unlike Hitler or Nazism or Communism we are now dealing with a new enemy...... GOD. Badder Meinhoff, Abu Nidal, Action Direct, Red Brigade, ETA, IRA etc.. all had their respective "isims" but when you say bomb him that takes on a whole new meaning in the Islamic world. When you have GOD wars reality becomes really blurred. Every bomb dropped by a Christian or Jewish Army anywhere in the Middle East creates 1000's of frustrated and angry people who are driven in to an ever-increasing circle of hate. Eventually this manifests itself in the form of September 11th etc and sometime somewhere in the not too distant future in heavy rain in down town traffic a taxi cab goes up with a mini N Bomb and people like you will say "bomb them more”! The psychology of war isn’t one of America’s strong points.

Advertisement