Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicking techniques

• 18-03-2003 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I'm looking for a coaching. training website that can give guidance on to improve kicking from the ground in football? anyone know of one or a good book???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

There is a coaching section on the GAA website, with a contact email address. Maybe they could be of some help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

A few days ago i found this "manual" thingy on Gaelic football skills and has all sorts of things on it for all ages...i think my da used to manage some team and must of used it for help any ways there isnt a site associated with it ehre i dont think but you could try and search about the net for it...its called "Gaelic Football Skills Manual" By Eoin Liston and Pat Daly.

i dunno if thats any help or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

generally I find shouting "stick it over the bar" does the trick. and if the kicker doesnt make it say " ah jayzus I could have kicked that one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Is it

1. say a goalkeeper, where distance and and height are the main factors

or

2. Point kicking where accuracy is the key?

They have different approaches and training techniques

Motm

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

This could come in handy for me, I had a 'mare kicking the ball out on Monday. Only 60% were successful but the others were desperate. But pitches can be the main problem most of the time. You just have to get your foot under the ball and lean back. That way the ball will go high. Then all you have to worry about is the power you put behind it.

• Advertisement

Im a goalie too. I find when I try to put real power in a kick it all goes horribly wrong, I think its a bit like golf. Its all about techniques.

Alany,

Your mistake is typical of a lot of goalies. You are right 'correct' goalkicking is technique and practice.

This is why especially watching underage or lower level football you will see bad kickouts towards end of games.
    Keepers generally trying to 'kick the leather off the ball', under pressure to come up with a big kickout, technique goes out the window and a good chance of putting the ball in the full forwards hands.

Many goalies have their own routines/ superstitions. Kick the goal post before running up, keep the O'Neills to the top, keep the O'Neills to the front, high divot (illegal now) or (personnaly) place the valve point forward. INHO, these are just habits to relax the kicker before taking the kick

The secret to good goal kicking is not actaully in your kicking foot but in your standing foot.

Concentrate on planting your standing foot in the right place. Again, personnally, I like to plant it directly beside the ball. You may be more comfortable to place just a few inches in front on the ball. Try and avoid placing your standing foot to far behind the ball as you may start 'topping the ball'.

After correct plant, well the rest is pure golf swing. Head down strike through the ball. Bump. Concentrate on getting a good contact with ball

Distance will come with practice. After a while with 'correct practice' it is amazing the actual distance you get.

With increased distance your accuracy will also improve

Hope this helps

yup this is my first season as a goalie so im figuring it all out.
    But the standing foot thing is intersting as I havent given it much thought.

Ill try it this weekend, If it goes well theres a pint in it for you.
    if it goes wrong theres a goal in it for them.

Most importantly, keep your leg straight when swinging. Do not bend it at the knee.

Any improvement with the kicking.

• Advertisement

no my kicking has got worse if anything.
    Too much thinking not enough kicking.
    I guess I need to practice the new styles in training and not matches eh ?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I've got a good bit better. I can kick all the way to the opposing 45 full time now. I just make sure that I have a proper divot dug out before we even start the game, that way I'll get a proper start.

I just make sure I get under the ball, try to get proper power on to it, not too much. And from now on I insure myself that I run at the ball straight or to a 25 degree angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

Firstly, you should only apply 75% of your maximum effort into kick-outs... This helps with your range and you can easily add/decrease your distance when required in a game...

Secondly, always look at the exact point at which you ideally want to strike the ball when (pulling on it)....

On the run up continually look up at your target and then at the ball...

Ideally you also want space between your half backs and half forwards to ocassionally land a flat bouncing ball into that space for your half forwards/ midfielders.

I only ocassionally play goal as I don't really like it but if its your position speak with your midfielders and half backs/forwards to get everyone thinking the same way...

If a club midfielder catches five of your kicks in one game then you've done a good job... varying always gives you the advantage and the only way you can capitalise on your decision is to communicate with your catcher... its a process involving two people, the kicker and catcher and never believe you are under pressure for a big kick...

if you are kicking for points, kick of the ground when conditions suit and decide on where you have to strike the ball to land it then concentrate solely on hitting that point ignoring looking at the target...

if you are kicking for points, kick of the ground when conditions suit and decide on where you have to strike the ball to land it then concentrate solely on hitting that point ignoring looking at the target...

Couldn't agree more, those that take dead balls off the ground have a much higher succes rate then those out of the hands in my experience. By the way don't practice with a soccer ball if you are playing with a gaa ball for kickouts. There is a fairly large weight differential and you will be knocking the soccerball for six while getting nowhere with the GAA ball.

Advertisement