Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help: Program crashing!

• 18-03-2003 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

My friend has this problem with her computer.
    The computer is
    Dell Dimmension 8200 P4 1.8G 256mb
    The problem is she will get blue screen for no fix reason.
    Sometime just searching web will cause bluse screen.

I thought it might be sofeware issue and wwe reformat HD and reinstalled win2k. AS we were installing programs back, Computer creashed and when we insert the Dreamweaver CD.
    When computer booted up the second time we insert CD again and this time is fine, untill the end of installation. It got an error about creating icon.
    We try to install the program again and this time it is fine all the way through.

Computer runs find for about 30 mintues and it crashed again for no reason at all.

I thought it might be some Memory issue and download a testing program from http://www.memtest86.com. The memory seems to be fine.

Does any one here has any clue of what might be wrong with this computer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Is it overclocked at all? In any way?

Im not a bit fan of Win2k, any chance you could get XP?.
    It fixed a lot of problems for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Good man Ryo! Stand up and be counted.
    Most people on Boards seem to spit on XP and tout W2K as the best os bar none. You and I are in the minority my friend. My laptop came with both 2K and XP. Windows 2000 gave me the above mentioned symptoms on a few occasions but since swapping it for XP it has behaved impeccably. Mind you I never got crashes every half hour so I don't think that's the full solution.

I found W2K to be hungrier for updates and patches than either XP or '98 so use windows update and let it get what it needs.
    Grill your friend mercilessly until she admits what she did before this problem started, then undo it.
    Failing that, consider calling Dell. It may still be under warranty and even if it's not they may help out of goodwill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I will try to update win2k first if she still gets problem the I will try to upgrade to XP.

thanks

The computer is not clock at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i got the same problem, i think it's because im using unsigned drivers which are generally less stable than whql, try download the newest non beta driver for your modem....mines a diamond supra express which doesn't support win2k properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Have you checked to see whether the system is overheating? If the CPU is overheating then the system will be unstable. Also, maybe the harddrive is having problems, could be temp related or just general dodginess.

Also, when the BSOD (blue screen of death) appears, just jot down the main error code. If the system keeps crashing while doing different things, check the errors to see if they are the same. Sometimes there are knowledge bases article on the microsoft site that deals with your problem - try going to [URL=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto]here[/URL] and typing in the error code.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Found some more program on the web
    one of them tested there was some error with memory.

Going to send it back to dell for fix.

Thanks for all helps

Advertisement